Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Who makes a good P38 kit ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Who makes a good P38 kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 01:04 PM
planewreck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes a good P38 kit ?

My dad said he thinks a P38 would be a fun plane to build but he can't find a kit anywhere. This would be something cool for me to give to him for christmas. Something that would be fairly inexpensive in a 60 size or so would be great but I am open to your suggestions.

Thanks to all who help,

Planewreck [&:]
Old 12-11-2004, 04:07 PM
phread59

Default RE: Who makes a good P38 kit ?

Wreck as I remember the only 60 size kit out there is the (Royal) Maratuka kit. It is fairly expensive, but not outragious. I think that Wing Manufacuring has or will have a kit coming out soon. These are the only ones I can remember. You soon get into the gas burners after these.

I will point out that Great Planes has a profole 38 out. It looks ok but it is definately not scale. It is fairly cheap though. Maybe one of those would help you out. The Maratuka is a real builder's kit. Lots of shaping and sanding. They do fly great though. I saw one years ago. Looked great flew fantastic.

Mark Shuman
Old 12-11-2004, 05:20 PM
planewreck

Thanks Phread. Yeah I noticed the Great Planes profile P38. Not dads style. Something to tinker with for a while is the main idea. He has too much time on his hands. I have actually checked on the Maratuka P38 but I don't know where to go to buy it? Anybody have any info there? Do they still make it? Oh and a gasoline burner aint out of the question I was just thinking 60 size was a good starting point. He is more into building a P38 than flying it I'm sure. He is quite skillfull he just needs to get himself away from the tv.

I don't care if he ever flies it either. Just want to find something to put a gleam in his eye again. Building a P38 just might do it.

thanks again,

planewreck
Old 12-11-2004, 06:31 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Royal/Marutaka has just recently gone out of business[]. If you want one, the best bet is to search on ebay. They seem to be going for about $300 there. Try calling some hobby shops. You might find a place that has one hiding in the back. I don't know of any other p-38 kits in that size (74" ws). The closest alternatives that I know of are the Great Planes Profile, and the Yellow P-38. The Yellow is a lot bigger, and the profile, you already know.

Scott

p.s. I just checked ebay, there is one for sale. Current bid is 177.50. 8 days left.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:12 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had heard that Maruka was closing up shop, but I do know that they have not been making the P-38 kit for quite sometime. The other fellows are correct on the RCU Market Place or EBay being your best bet to find one. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G&P Sales (http://www.rcairplane.net/) offers a P-38, 'glas fuse, sheeted styro wings, for 2 .61 twostrokes or 2 .91 fourstrokes. 88" wingspan.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 12-12-2004, 02:12 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

planewreck---I have a Royal (Marutaka) already built that I found in a hobby store, needs complete refurbishment, which is to say the airframe is solid, needs recovering, all controls, radio, servos and engines. The cowls need re-doing and the tail needs some work. It had Enya .61's when I got it but they were junk and got pitched. I have it disassembled down to the booms, tail, and center section/wings. It's a 72" wing, makes it about 1/9 scale. I also have a set of the original plans, which are two sheets of full-size drawings and a couple of typewritten sheets. This plane is probably ten years old at least and had been sitting in an attic. I'd sell it because there are several other planes I would rather build and fly first and don't know when I'll ever get to this one. I love P-38's, will eventually have one; I bought this one to save it from salvage. If you're interested, PM me and we'll haggle. Ken