Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Rampage 40

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Rampage 40

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 04:22 PM
jrhelm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rampage 40

I was wondering if anyone has ever built or seen this Rampage 40 that I found on line. I am giving the web address in case you have not seen it before. http://www.goldenstaterc.com/Rampage40.htm I have not built a kit before but thought this one looked interesting.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Fubar-One

Default RE: Rampage 40

Just bought one of these on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. Supposed to be the Basic kit, no hardware. Honestly havent even opened the box yet. Looks to be a fairly simple build.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:11 PM
jrhelm

I have never built a plane, let alone flown one, and bought this kit before actually realizing the full measure of the involvement necessary. I have most of the kit put together. I have taken my time because I don't know what I am doing. I have been reading a lot all through the web and gotten many hints. I just thought I would see if others had worked on this type of kit. Glad to know someone else has the kit. I believe that I have all the parts necessary to fly, I am working on sanding the whole plane.

J
Old 12-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Fubar-One

Taking your time is always the best way to go with kits. Rushing it has always come back to bite me in the butt. Never built two left wings but I sure have built parts upside down, gotten left and right mixed up, etc.
Got an engine for it yet?
Be sure to post pics of it when finished!
Old 12-14-2004, 01:50 PM
jrhelm

I found an OS 40LA for it on ebay. It is new. The kit only suggests a fairly narrow span for engines. I have also read that the OS LA seems to be good for beginners.
My wife is not impressed with my new found hobby and has moved my work area to the back room. Since I am a student and in a small apartment there is not much room. This also impedes my ability to sand because of the small work space and the other "stuff" we have in that room. Oh well, she is letting me build.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Fubar-One

The LAs are good running engines but not what you would call a powerhouse. If you havent purchased it yet, I would look into a .46 ball bearing engine instead. A lot more plane options for a .46 BB engine later on. I have had good luck with GMS engines. They are quite a bit less expensive than, say, an OS .46AX. A lot of guys recommend Tower .46 engines also but I havent used one of those. (My fav engines are Super Tigre G 51's but that would be overkill!)
That being said, I have a .46LA engine which has been a great running engine from day one. It originally was on an Airmaster 40T trainer that Hobby People used to sell. Flew it well. I then had it on a Right Flyer 40T but that plane was a pig and I really hogged it out when I added a still camera on board. It flew but not very well. I most recently had that engine on an Airmadillo Trainer 40 which is an aluminum strut fused plane with coroplast wings. Kinda heavy but flew pretty well. Was fun to fly anyway!
Since they recommend using a .32 -.46 range of engine for the Rampage, the .40LA should be fine. I might use my .46LA on mine when I get around to building it.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:43 PM
jrhelm

Well,

I've gotten some finished on my kit and thought that I would show how far along I was. I am to the point of finish sanding and should be ready to start covering sometime soon. I put everything together that I had at this point to see what it would look like and I think it is starting to kind of look like an airplane. I have an OS 40LA on it. none of the control surfaces are on and I will be covering everything before truly putting it all together.

J
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86794.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	217554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82509.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	217555