Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Unionville hobbies(Beaver)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Unionville hobbies(Beaver)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Wulf
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unionville hobbies(Beaver)

Anybody have any experience building this kit (Unionville Hobbies, canadian)) Dehavilland Beaver--I`m building the 8' span version and would like some input .The plans and instuctions leave alot to be desired.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:15 PM
LORD_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Unionville hobbies(Beaver)

I built the 6 footer a few years ago. Yes they do leave alot to be desired but if youve built a few or more kits it should be fairly stright foward. Its alot like building from plans with all the parts cut out. There were a few areas I changed for a more scale appereance. The horizontal stabalizer/elavator was cut straight accross. The windshield/roof top was too rounded and unexceptable
so I built up the cabin top from balsa and built a frame and cut out windows from sheet plastic. I also added flaps and a few other things I have forgotten. Mine flew very well and was really fun to build. Im also thinking of building the 8'er. Does this all sound familiar ? ... as far as the cabin/ windshield? I heard the 8' was more scale than the 6'. Good luck , I'd like to see some pics as your build progresses.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:09 PM
Wulf

Yea, Thanks,
Here`s where I`m at right now..
Old 12-14-2004, 08:14 PM
Wulf

Sorry picture did`nt upload.I have to make it smaller,how do I do that?
Old 12-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a program that makes the picture smaller (less pixels), there is a free program out there called "IrfanView", make a search for it in Google and once you open a .jpg file you go to the toolbar and under "Image" click on the "resize" option and then input the values necessary (size) to be able to upload to this site, you must then "Save" this file in order to copy it to the server, you can also use Adobe Photoshop if you have it already on your computer, but IrfanView is a really good program and it is "free".
By replying to your message I am doing the same thing someone else did it for me a few years ago, it was so frustrating not kowing how to do these things. Hope this gets you a little closer to be able to input the pictures, good luck!
Old 12-15-2004, 04:24 AM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Wulf, I look forward to tracking your progress, I have the 8' turbo beaver kit to build next winter. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:28 PM
simark
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built the 6' Otter last year. Unionville Hobbies kits are generally considered to be builder's kits. The instructions are about the minimum to put the kit together, but leaves a lot of decisions and fine details to the builder. For example, the running gear, linkages etc. I personally enjoy this better than instructions that hold your hand from start to finish. Also the wood supplied was absolutely first rate.
I sheeted the entire top of the wing instead of putting in the cap strips. I put in flaps but if I were to do it again, I would take the time to install Fowler flaps.
I also rounded the top of the fuselage by lowering the frame profile then adding rounded bulkheads and planking. I am not sure if the real Beaver had a rounded or square profile fuselage.
I'd sure like to watch the progress of your kit.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:43 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Here is a great resource for pictures of the DHC-2 Beaver. [link=http://www.dhc-2.com/current_cover_page.htm]CLICK ME[/link]
Old 12-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Jollidude
My Feedback: (39)

I've built the Unionville 6' Beaver on floats and the 6' Otter. Simark is correct, the wood is fantastic, they build very light but sturdy and fly awesome. I'm building a second Beaver this winter, this one on wheels. The cross-section of the fuselage is basically square with the corners rounded off. There is a slight doming on the top, especially up near the wing, but it is very subtle. I plan to make this Beaver very scale. This will involve changing the windshield area, the landing gear and adding material to the corners so it can be rounded more. I'll try to post photos as it comes together (I'm a very slow builder). The Otter below has slotted flaps and ailerons that lower with flap actuation as well. It can just about hang motionless in a gentle breeze.

Cheers!

Jollidude
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18087.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	203349   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45251.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	203350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30660.gif
Views:	43
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	203351  
Old 12-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Wulf

Hey Jollidude,
How do you send your pictures? I keep getting error message deal(failure to save file to disk) when I try to upload images.Very nice Beavers by the way.
Still trying to send-
Old 12-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Jim T
My Feedback: (1)

I'll be interested in seeing build pics as well. I have the 8' radial Beaver on order. Should be here anyday now.

Jim