Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

taking my time, how long

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

taking my time, how long

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 05:34 PM
nitrobasher
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking my time, how long

Hey, I bought a sig four star a while ago (early xmas present) I rushed through that thing in about a week and now im scared to fly it, because I think that its gunna go down from a weak spot or something like that.

Anyways, I think my grandma bought me another kit( i didnt even ask for it) and im wanting to take my time and do the kit right, If I dont hve the right tool for the part ill wait and buy it.

I was thinking a good way of helping me slow down is buy doing a build along thread.

the question is how much time do you guys normally spend on each part,

wings fuse stabaliser. should i try and work on giving them each 2-3 days? thanx
Old 12-23-2004, 06:06 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: taking my time, how long

Don't try to set a schedule for each part to be done. Just take your time, read the instructions thoroughly. I always dry fit several steps ahead of where I am going to glue, just to make sure the fit is correct and that I'm not doing anything that will make the next couple of steps more difficult.

Don't worry about too much glue, if you're using Ca. better too much and a little heavy, than too little and weak. Also, the quality of the joints, where the parts meet, is as important as how much glue, too. Too loose or poorly fitting joints depends on the glue to fill in the gaps, and it will be weak regardless. Remember the adage "Measure twice, cut once", and measure carefully. Cut it a tad long or wide and sand it to the proper fit. You'll be a lot prouder of the plane, it will mean more to you, and it will take a bit more rough use if you just take your time. You'll find that framing things up will go pretty quickly, but the finishing, covering and flight controls will take longer. don't get discouraged and fight the urge to rush. Good luck
Old 12-23-2004, 06:49 PM
rcdude37

yea the main build goes faster then the install of the "little" stuff but yet the little stuff is the big stuff when it flies!
you did a kit in a week?..... use CA for 99% of it or wut! if so use more wood glue and epoxy,(dont use too much!) use something that takes longer to dry, you get more time to get it were you want it.
im building an astro hog bashed to a crop duster at the moment, i decided that i did to much yesterday and today so i rapped it up at about 3 oclock today!
Old 12-23-2004, 07:34 PM
CafeenMan

My philosophy is this:

If you enjoy building then it takes as long as it takes.

If you don't enjoy building or your goal is to get in the air as quickly as possible, then don't build - buy an ARF.

I would probably put about 60 hours into a 4-star but I sand every single part and do a lot of dry fitting until I'm absolutely satisfied. What I mean is I may "build" the wing 5 times without any glue just to get the sequence down and make sure everything fits exactly as I want it. It saves time later when it comes to finish, the plane is absolutely straight and it just looks a lot better than if I slap it together.

Anyway, I agree with Khodges - don't worry about time. Worry about building it right and try to enjoy making every part fit properly.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

During the sumer months when it stays light until about 9:00 I can blast through A kit like the 4 Star in A day or two as far as the framing goes but then it takes me A while to install all the gear and get the CG close.
Then I take everything out again and do the finish sanding and cover it. I cover slow but about A day for the 4* then have to put all the gear back in and set the CG correctly. All in all about 5 days to A full week before I fly. That's A fast build and I haven't done that in some time.
At the moment I have A 60 size AeroMaster Bipe on the bench. Been working on it for about 6 weeks and just got it framed up yesterday and am glassing the center sections of the wings today, it uses A lot of slow epoxy and has A lot of parts that need to be very straight.
I'm never in A rush this time of year and go in and out of the shop as the sprit moves me. For me it is A relaxing type of hobby and some planes just take more time to build and set up correctly then others. This one will take about A week just to cover.
My last plans built took about 6 months and it was A close cousin to the Master. I never set A time frame to any of my planes, I have one bipe that took all winter and A lot of hours and an Up-Roar that I started one day and had in the air the next, there was A fun fly the next day and I tossed it together, it's still with me after about 5 years of air time so speed isn't A main factor, building straight is the key for me. I figure about 4 months for most my planes is about normal for me.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:38 AM
fun_fly_3D
My Feedback: (1)

Guys, I have a little problem! I am building the forur star 60, and I sheeted the top of the wing center section with 1/16"x 3"x36". this is what I was supposed to sheet the stabilizers with! I haven't done the bottom or the other wing yet. I was supposed to use 3"32"x4"x36". am I screwed? what should I do Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Brian
Old 12-31-2004, 12:02 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, I answered your question in your original thread. Please do not double post - it is against RCU policy. Also, it is considered bad etiquette to 'hijack' somebody else's thread. Thanks for your consideration.