Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Fuel soaked SIG King Kobra

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Fuel soaked SIG King Kobra

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 11:41 AM
edygert
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel soaked SIG King Kobra

I recently purchased a built SIG King Kobra with OS .61fx engine and servos for $70. The engine is in great shape but I am beginning to wonder if the plane is useable and I would like some ideas from all of you.

The covering job was really bad so I stripped it off to recover the plane. I discovered that the wood for the entire nose of the plane from the leading edge of the wing forward is completely fuel soaked. It is so bad that I could poke my finger through it in places! The firewall is also fuel soaked because it was not fuel proofed around the edges. The bottom corner of the fuselage on the side of the muffler is also fuel soaked.

The wing and tail feather are in great shape.

Is it worth trying to repair this or should I just get a new kit for $100? Or maybe just use the engine in a different plane? It seems like the fuselage is a total loss. What do you think?
Old 12-25-2004, 02:26 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Fuel soaked SIG King Kobra

Well, until I learned to seal my planes up tight, I would have this problem. And there was/is a solution. Back then it was K2R spot remover. (You might not find that particular brand anymore) Spray it on the soaked part, and let it dry, ( that could take a day or two). Vacumn, or scrape it off. Repeat. For about $3 you might be able to save the plane. Sounds like some wood might be replaced.

Another techniue that I have used was to sweat the fuel out of the wood. I would hold a heat gun on the wood. The fuel would just start sweating out. Dab with paper towels. It is amazing how much fuel comes out this way.

I think the best result is to use the heat gun first. When you can't get anymore fuel to come out, then use the K2R. This is slow work and sometimes the results are not great.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Ugo Ferrari
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might wanna try placing the fuse in a large plastic bucket and filling the inside of the fuse and all around the outside with CAT LITTER and let it sit a few days... around here, at the "Dollar Tree" you can find the cat litter for a dollar for 10 pounds ! The same stuff that auto repair shops use to suck up oil spills while working on oil changes. The fuse will come out "Dry as a Bone' !! Save the litter and use it again !

Try it,
Ugo
Old 12-25-2004, 05:22 PM
powertoys
My Feedback: (2)

And yet here is another way. Use the heat gun as described first. Then get some non-scented baby powder (talcum), and fill inside and out. The Talcum powder will absorb the fuel right out of the wood. I let it sit over night then used low pressure air to blow it out (a little messy), then did it again. If the wood is still weak run some thin CA over it, as the glue cures it should stiffen the wood while pushing out any oil left due to the heated chemical reaction (I'm sure you've seen the CA smoke before). This saved my World Models Intruder 90 which is powered by a Saito 91, and I've flown it at least 20 times since. Plus the powder does all the work while you sleep. Its slow but effective. Good luck, and save that plane!

Mike
Old 12-25-2004, 10:02 PM
edygert
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks for the great suggestions! I sure hope that I can save the plane. I will try the cat litter first. Sounds like it is the easiest and cheapest. I'll move on to the others if necessary. I'll post back here and let you all know if it works. Thanks again.