Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kougar with flaps

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kougar with flaps

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 05:36 PM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kougar with flaps

Has anyone out there built and flown a Sig Kougar with flaps or flaperons?

If so how does/did it fly? Is it worth the effort and time to do the modification?
Old 09-12-2002, 07:14 PM
ramcharger

I have owned 3 Kougars. Current Kougar is powered with Webra 50 Speed. I installed 3/16 inch wider ailerons. Flaps would take away aileron space. At least the way I picture them. Plane lands extremely easy with SIGS signature washout in their foam core wings. I would never do it. I will always fly a Kougar, it is one of my favorite planes.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:32 AM
Kelly D Smith

Default kougar

How strong are the kougars? Can they handle high speeds or do they just look fast?

also how do they handle aerobatics?

thanks

kelly
Old 10-25-2002, 11:28 AM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

They can handle high speeds if built properly. (seal hingelines, glass wing center, etc...)
It's not the fastest plane in the world... but with a pipe, I'd guess 100-120 are within reach
Aerobatics are great, especially with an aft CG.
(careful with the flatspins and a very aft CG... it takes LOTS of recovery time)
Rolls were quite axial... snaps were quick and always predictable, inside/outside loops fine, etc...
The plane really tracks well. (That's a non-pattern-pilot opinion... others may differ)

I only knew two speeds with the Kougar... wide open and idle
It handled high speed rolls/snaps/tumbles/powerdives with no trouble at all.
It won't handle unintentional high-speed ground contact, however

To the original poster... Flaps? On a Kougar? I doubt you'll get what you expect.
The thing lands almost "trainer slow" as it is, unless you run a 9-10 pitch prop for speed.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:06 PM
ramcharger

My first Kougars had a ST 45 ring and ST 45 abc engines. They were built stock and flown off grass. In both cases the landing gear wood blocks wore into the foam wing cores and they developed a lot of play. I repaired each and sold them. The third Kougar I now fly has a Webra 50 Speed, wider ailerons, and I replaced the plastic turtle deck and cowling with balsa. we now have a asphalt runway so landing gear problem disappeared. I never reinforced any of the wings or fuselage. This Kougar is extremely fast, has a very fast roll rate, lands quite easily, and looks fabulous. It is now 4 yrs old with well over 200 or 300 flights but still looks great. If you reinforce anything, make sure the 1/4"-20 taped hard wood blocks that hold wing to the plane are well secured to the sides of the fuselage. Webra 50 turns a 11x6 MAS prop with 10% Cool Power at close to 13,500 rpm on a good day.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:18 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a GP Ultra Sport that I added flaps to. I just cut 6" flaps from the ailerons and control them from the torque rods. Then I run the ailerons with nyrod in the wing. With the hinge gaps sealed, I still have minimal deflection in the ailerons and the roll rate is fabulous. I don't currently have a Kougar, but I have flown them in the past, and if I were ever going to build one, I wouldn't hesitate to add flaps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32216_7722.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	16255  
Old 10-25-2002, 02:27 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Don't get me wrong... they can definitely be added, no problem.

You can even go with two wing servos and just use flaperons instead.
It's just my opinion that they're about as useful as a nightlight in the daytime
Old 10-26-2002, 01:50 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default I love my Coug

Eight and a half years old and looks new. They have an amazingly broad approach speed envelope. You can come in at a walk if you like. But, if it is very windy and gusty, and you wish to keep your ground speed up just in case the wind slacks, they can land faster too. This will most likely be your "windy day" airplane. I would recommend against the flaps. I beleive the key to having a "great" Cougar is to have a "light" Cougar. Shaving just 2 or three oz. can make it come alive!! Enjoy! barn
Old 11-20-2002, 09:55 PM
foxflyer

I am building a Kougar and am considering the following mods;

1.Flaperons
2.Ailerons that taper from 1 inch at the root to 2.5 inches at the tip. For more of a swept wing look.
3. 2inch wide by 3inch high by 8 or 10 inch long tip tanks.
4. Cutting out some of the fuselage sheeting to save weight.

Feedback?