Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Four Star .40 Fiberglass tape???

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Four Star .40 Fiberglass tape???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 06:15 AM
rugrad02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four Star .40 Fiberglass tape???

Hello,

I have been working on my 4* for the past few days. I am finished with the wing but am running into some confusion. There was a strip of fiberglass tape that was included in the kit. My question is, do I use this on the wing before or after I cover? Will the covering adhere to the tape? Also, should I even use the tape at all?

Also, should I epoxy the tape or use CA. The instructions say to use either one and lastly, should I use the tape on the tailwheel assembly as noted in the instructions? Thanks

KB
Old 04-05-2005, 07:01 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Four Star .40 Fiberglass tape???

The tape is USUALLY used to reenforce the joint on the main wing. MOST planes are fine without it, however, if you plan on doing any high G manuvers (dive at speed and pull out quickly, etc ) The reenforcing of the main wing would probably be a good idea.

If you do decide to do it, use 30 minute epoxy or (PREFERRED )finishing resin. You would do this before covering the wing. CA is too brittle for this particular application.

I have only one plane I have glassed the center section of the main wing on, and that is because the plane will be doing some high G manuvers and I did not have any carbon fiber available during the build to reenforce the main spar.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:19 AM
dls
My Feedback: (113)

Use the tape!!!!!! Don`t consider it an option as it is important to the center section strength. Many ARFs have folded wings because they don`t use this simple proccess in the build. Use med CA. or epoxy,before you cover, its not hard to do. Follow Sigs directions. Use some filler on the weave to give a smooth surface. Most coverings stick OK
Old 04-05-2005, 11:45 AM
GAP-RCU

Definitely use the tape, and definitely use it before covering.

Step 22 in the Four Star 40 construction booklet covers the subject very well. I like using Method 1 with epoxy which allows me to make adjustments to the tape before is drys.

I also recommend following step 56c to the letter for reinforcing the rudder with some glass tape. If you don't, landing forces on the tail may damage the rudder. Many of us, myself including, opt to replace the tail wheel wire with Sullivan's tail wheel unit that uses a spring attached to the rudder. If you wish to use Sullivan's unit, you'll want to install the blind nuts in the bottom of the fuselage BEFORE you've glued the fuselage all together.

Good luck, Gary
Old 04-05-2005, 12:26 PM
DaveB

I second GAP-RCU's recommendation in replacing the tail wheel with the Sullivan. I built the 4* with the supplied tail wheel and after reinforcing the rudder the wire eventually broke. Save yourself some aggravation and replace the tail wheel while building.

DaveB