Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Four * 60 - Leading Edge

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Four * 60 - Leading Edge

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 11:50 PM
mimhoff
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Four * 60 - Leading Edge

I have just started building my very first kit -- a Four * 60. I have just completed the 2 wing sections and am ready to epoxy them together. Like a good dooby I did a dry test fit of the section and found a minor/major (you guys tell me) discrepancy. The mating section of the wing appears great -- complete wood to wood contact all the way from LE to TE. The dihedral is right on spec (1 side flat on table other wing tip up 1 7/8 from table). I thought all was good and the airplane gods were smiling on me. I believe the leading edge should be perfectly straight wing tip to wing tip -- mine is not [&o]. If i hold the leading edge of the wing against a flat wall with the 2 wings clamped together I get approximately a 1/2!QUOT! gap right at the center joint. I suspect that when I added the 2 degree dihedral using the provided gauge that the trailing edge of the two !QUOT!W-1!QUOT! ribs pushed out a wee bit at the trailing edge resulting in this condition. The gap is widest 1/2!QUOT! +/- at the center and decreases evenly on both wings. I am a little ticked because I had a real nice framing square with in reach during the wing build and never used it -- I just lined ribs up (I thought..) on plan.

That is the story -- now what do I do??

1. Leave it alone and don't tell anybody , because I will do more damage trying to fix.
2. Try and taper the W-1 ribs at the center of wing - not sure that is a good idea- rib is thin and I think I would weaken the center joint.
3. Set the leading edge straight -- then insert and epoxy a wedge shaped block between two surfaces to straighten leading edge.
4. Throw the whole thing out and go back to hermit's world of model railroading?

My guess would be leave it alone and go on and that the discrepancy will not cause a novice like myself any problem flying. Since I am new at this and I am not sure how important some what I call minor discrepancy's I figured I better ask. I would hate to complete the remainder of the kit only to find I messed up royally.

Well that's my story... Thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:00 AM
rjm1982

Default RE: Sig Four * 60 - Leading Edge

i dont knwo...i just checked mine, and i have about 1/2 inch as well....havent flown it yet, so i cant say...i dont think it wi9ll do anything to flight charactoristics though....
Old 04-11-2005, 12:18 AM
mimhoff

rjm1982-- Nice of you to check thanks. I think you are correct and it will have minimal if any effect -- since I am new, I really don't trust my judgement on these matter yet. Nice to know someone else's wing is the same as mine. Is your's still being built or has it flown.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:28 AM
rjm1982

Nope, still building, almost done....

just need to mount the wing, cover and add electrics...

gotta do the cowl too, i cut of the cheeks and am going to make a custom fiberglass cowl so it looks better,,,,
Old 04-11-2005, 12:41 AM
mimhoff

rjm--- Very cool.

I have read many threads concerning various mod's - cowlings, sheeting turtle deck, Sullivan tailwheel etc. They all seem pretty neat but this being my first build - I think I am going to stick to the instruction and plans pretty close. I have decided to upgrade to the Sullivan tailwheel - seems like a no-brainer that I can do . I soloed on March 19th and have been out flying probably 6-7 times since. My landings are getting better but every so often I have an "ugly" landing. I think I better have as strong landing gear as I can get. Tailwheel is easy mod - thinking about upgrading the mains but not sure if I want the "TNT" gear (a little pricey...) or maybe the Du-Bro molded gear? Some say the mains are fine. I am still researching to determine which are best for my style of landing.

Mark
Old 04-11-2005, 06:29 AM
rjm1982

I picked up a sulivan tailwheel too...it seems not to different than the stock one....i think the problem tailwheel was on the 4* 40, the 60 seems to have adequate gear....

from what others have said, the weak link in the mains isnt the gear, its the plate comming off, so i make sure to epoxy it when i was doing the firewall epoxy...

Dont be scared to mod something if you want....another simple mod is to reverse the canopy and chop it down... [link=http://www.renderwurx.com/rc/sig4star/gfx/canopytrimguide.jpg]Click Here!!![/link]

Remember, if you want to mod something, mod it...its just wood...wood is easy to fix...

And what motor are you putting in it...have a Saito .91 going into mine....
Old 04-11-2005, 09:52 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

(Pssst... Don't tell anybody - It will be fine)
Old 04-11-2005, 01:01 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

I'm surprised that MinnFlyer didn't add that you can correct it some when you cover it. When you've got the wing all covered, bow it slightly to straighten it out and shrink the covering while you hold it. This does work to take out bows and twists. But, as Minn said, you'll be fine if you leave it as is.

Kerry
Old 04-11-2005, 04:01 PM
mimhoff

Minn Flyer-- Thanks that just what I needed to here.

RJM1982 -- Thanks for your comments -- I am going to look into stregthening the mounting blocks for the mains. I am curretly repairing the mains on my Rascal 40 (ARF) that took kind of a beating yesterday much to the dismay of my instructor.

KerryDell- - I am not sure how much I can fix by shrinking the covering - this is actually a small forward sweep with the leading edge of the wing tip slightly ahead of the leading edge at the centerpoint.

I think my best bet is to leave it alone and move forward.

Thank-you all for your comments.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Jimmbbo

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

(Pssst... Don't tell anybody - It will be fine)
What he said... And we promise to keep your secret...

As long as the wing panels are built square to the spar and to the plan, your "reverse sweep" will be unnoticeable...

Cheers!

Jim
Old 04-11-2005, 05:00 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

Yes. be sure to strengthen up the landing gear plate. Use 30 min. epoxy and put in tri. stock where you can. Nothing worse than having the gear pop off. That usually happens on the first flight of a very nice day. I g-u-a-r-a-n-t-e-e. Then when they do pop off they usually dent the bottom side of the wing. that sux

Another mod most people do is enlarge the rudder by 1" or so to the leading edge. This helps out in knife edge manuevers. Some people take one bay off each wing for faster rolling, but since your still learning I'd leave this allone.

Please put a 75-91 2 stroker in this plane or a ys91 or saito 100. These birds need speed baby. ahahaahaahaha. A super tigre 90 is the cheapest and most fun way to go. Have fun.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:08 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I probalbly would opt for the straight leading edge (a little OCD) and put in the wedge.