Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Giant Scale, Twin Boom, Trainer!?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Giant Scale, Twin Boom, Trainer!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 03:56 PM
ICE_MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Scale, Twin Boom, Trainer!?

Hey guys,My buddy and I were throwing around some idea's of what our next big project should be. We got to thinking "hey we got 2 Hobbico Superstar (.4) trainer fuses collecting dust maybe we could do somthing with them!"

So the Idea was conjured up that we're going to strip down the trainers completely (covering and all).. Then we're going to rework the elevators on both planes and link the stabs and elevators together. Then Build a custom landing gear (taildragger) to also link the two together...
Then to top it all of a larger wider wing to accomodate flaps and ailerons (not flaperons)...

We plan on using either 2 O.S. 40La's or 2 ST G51's.. We haven't decided. But what should the wingspan be to where we could fly either of these engines with 16 oz. tanks, large (rubber) tires, Floats (sometimes), and a payload such as a camera?

Here's the set-up
ENGINE: (2) 40 La's or (2) ST 51's
SERVO'S: 1 S3004 on elvator, 2 S3004's or rudders, 2 GWS Micro's On Throttle, 2 S3004's on flaps, 2 S3004's on Ailerons, and One Micro to operate what ever payload we run.

Questions:

What Should the wingspan/cord be?

What Airfoil (flat bottom semi- sem., semitrical?)

Is there any way to link control surfaces to use one servo? Like on the throttle or rudder to save weight

Should we use a built up wing or a foam wing with balsa sheeting?

How long and of what cord should the ailerons be?

What length/cord for flaps?

I think that's all for now I'm sure many more will come up!

Thanks guys we'd really like to get this done by this time next year.. It's not gonna be a work on all the time thing just kind of to build on when we get the money and have nothing else to do.. We'd also like to use the equipment listed cause it's laying around with no other planes to go in.. Also i forgot to mention on the engine selection we'd like to be able to take off of ruough fields and need the power to do so but we had concerns about the 51's being too much power since this will be our first twin.

Thanks

Cody