Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Citabria

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Citabria

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Cubguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG Citabria

I recently purchased a SIG 1/6 scale Citabria kit. How does it build? Is it similar to the 1/6 scale SIG Cub in construction?

What do you guys think about doubling the size and making a 1/3 scale airplane based on the smaller one.

Based on comparing measurements of a 1977 full scale Citabria - this model is very, very close to accurate scale outlines.

I would be interested in hearing what you guys think. Thanks
Old 04-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SIG Citabria

It's been a long, long time since I built this one, but I remember very well how much fun I had with it, it builds with less work than the small J-3 and flies much better, it looks great, flies great, very strong airplane, go ahead and build it, do a good job finishing it, it is worth it, then have a ball at the field, I had mine with a ST .50, it was perfect! You could enlarge the plans and all the formers and wing ribs and make it any size you want, if you stay withing the 1/4 scale size you should be able to find fiberglass cowlings for it, otherwise you would have to build one out of wood, and let me tell you a 1/4 scale is plenty big, 1/3 is way too big, you will not be flying it because of the transportation issues, added cost, etc.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Chevalier

A 33% Citabria would be a load. I have also heard that the Sig Citabria is quite close to scale. It is also a plane I would like to build one da. I have built the fun scale Super Decathalon from Dynaflite and at about 1/5 scale the plane is 89" and weighs 14.5 pounds. My back of the envelope caluclations tell me that a 1/3 scale Citabria would be 12' feet or more of wing and detailed out would be a 30 pounder.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:27 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

The original Sig Citabria was designed by Maxey Hester then later it was updated by Bruce Tharpe. I built an A&A Citabria, a Bud Nosen design, and it took be almost 3 years of on and off building to complete it. I was so frustrated with the build that I gave it to my dad and it has never been flown.

I got the plans for the Citabria from Sig and was so impressed with the design that I bought the kit. There is no comparison between the A&A kit and the Sig kit. The Hester/Tharpe design and the quality of the kit is far superior. It actually cost me more to replace the bad wood in the A&A kit than the cost of the original kit.

There is a review of the Sig Citabria kit on my web page. It is wriitten by Bruce Tharpe and he begins by saying that it is not a totally unbiased opinion but he does give some good information about it.