Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SSE + Saito .72 Throttle Solution

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SSE + Saito .72 Throttle Solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 06:49 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSE + Saito .72 Throttle Solution

I've been working on a Somethin' Extra with some modifications inspired by a number of other threads in this forum. At present, I have not posted a build thread because it pretty much looks like every other SSE build thread. However, I'm now starting to get to the interesting deviations, so I thought I'd share my first unique alteration. I'm going to use a Saito .72, but wanted to mount it a little cleaner than letting it stick straight out the top. After seeing the teriffic cowl jobs on the Ventures and 4* kits posted recently, I decided to attempt a side-mount with a built-up cowl. The cowl is still in it's infancy, but the mount and subsequent throttle linkage presented the first challenge. I wanted the needle to be accessible from the top, so I had to turn the carburator around. This placed the throttle arm directly behind the cylinder head. To (hopefully) prevent a very nose heavy condition, I needed to keep the engine as close as possible to the firewall. This left practically no room for conventional throttle linkage. The solution I came up with utilized a piece of 1/8" aluminum rod, 2 1/8" steering arms, a 1/8" wheel collar, a short length of 1/16" music wire, and 2 EZ connectors. It just so happened that the stock engine mounts were pre-drilled to facilitate the rod's use as a pivot for the offset linkage. The pictures show more detail, but this will allow me to run a Sullivan Golden rod below the fuel tank and through the firewall and loop back with a 180 bend to operate the throttle from the front, but below the lower engine mount.

Comments or critiques?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20489.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	262525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94931.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	262526  
Old 04-25-2005, 12:39 PM
iflircaircraft

Default RE: SSE + Saito .72 Throttle Solution

Krossk:
I'm not sure if this will work, but maybe use a bellcrank on the pivot arm instead of a steering arm?
The throttle arm can be moved to any location neccessary for throttle management.
Just a thought being so tight against the firewall.
I'd draw a diagram, but sheeeeeet, I'm lucky to be able to type!!!......lol

Tom
Old 04-25-2005, 12:40 PM
iflircaircraft

Oh, and ball links as oppoesed to EZ connectors.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:55 PM
inverted flyer

not sure how far on in the build you are but i moved my firewall back 1 1/4" to accomodate the saito and now theres no problem at all - conventional throttle link -

i.F.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:02 PM
krossk

ORIGINAL: iflircaircraft

Krossk:
I'm not sure if this will work, but maybe use a bellcrank on the pivot arm instead of a steering arm?
The throttle arm can be moved to any location neccessary for throttle management.
Just a thought being so tight against the firewall.
I'd draw a diagram, but sheeeeeet, I'm lucky to be able to type!!!......lol

Tom
Tom,

Not quite sure I see the difference between the steering arm and the bellcrank. I used the steering arms so I could lock them in place on the pivot rod and still be able to adjust the angle between the outer and inner arms. I'm probably misinterpreting your description, but I'm always open to suggestions. And I have been seriously considering the ball links since I got it working. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2005, 02:10 PM
krossk

ORIGINAL: inverted flyer

not sure how far on in the build you are but i moved my firewall back 1 1/4" to accomodate the saito and now theres no problem at all - conventional throttle link -

i.F.
I have already got most of the fuse framed. I had thought about moving the the f/w back, but I was concerned about having room for the fuel tank and also didn't want to mess with redesigning the hatch and bulkheads. I still have hopes of putting a 10 oz. flex tank in - if I can find one...
Then there's the issue of mounting it sideways - I still needed the throttle control rod to go over or under the fuel tank.
So what prop do you run? (I'm assuming you used a .72 instead of the .82) And which gear did you use to get the ground clearance?

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:15 PM
iflircaircraft

It's your choice, I just feel less potential problems with less connections.
Of course your grinding flat spots on the pivot arm where the steering arm(s)'s allen screw(s) are set?

Tom
Old 04-25-2005, 02:27 PM
krossk

ORIGINAL: iflircaircraft

It's your choice, I just feel less potential problems with less connections.
Of course your grinding flat spots on the pivot arm where the steering arm(s)'s allen screw(s) are set?

Tom
Absolutely on the flats. (not to mention lock-tite) But I'm still puzzled about how to use a bellcrank and still achieve the offset?