Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Winter Project Complete - BTE Flyin King

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Winter Project Complete - BTE Flyin King

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 08:58 PM
EVOL
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Project Complete - BTE Flyin King

my winter project is at an end. i built the BTE Flyin King. there are not enough good things to say about the company and the kit. first off Bruce Tharpe took my order himself and we talked on the phone about different building tips for the plane. the box came a few short days later and the quality of the wood and hardware was unbelievable. the wood is not laser cut or die crunched.........im not sure what it is but it IS flawless. it seemed like every piece was custom made for the airframe. it comes with only top end Du-Bro hardware and a great GREAT instruction manual (not to mention the best instruction manual is calling the designer of the kit). i sat in my workshop all winter and enjoyed every minute.

i built a bombay door mechanism for candy/parachute drops per the design on the BTE website. http://www.btemodels.com/index.html
there is also a hidden servo just behind the wing trailing edge for a glider release.

Eqipment:
5 ball berring servos (ele,rud,2 ail, glider release)
1 high torque - flaps
1 retract servo on bombay door
1 standard - throttle
7 channel futaba RX / TX
Saito 91 GK with 14x6 master airscrew
BTE custom pull-pull tailwheel

i covered the plane all in monocote and it is the best covering job i have ever done.
i ordered custom vinyl graphics from the coolest guy in the world.....Bill Fulmer. http://www.customcutgrafix.com/
i emailed him my request and he took the time to call me at home long distance to make sure my order was right. we changed a few dimensions and the end result was really great looking vinyl for a very small price.

i have not flown the plane yet because im making sure the brand new saito is running tip top before i put this monster in the air. i hope to have a flight report within the next week or so.

i would HIGHLY suggest BTE models to anyone who enjoys building. its unlike any other kit i have built including laser cut and Bruce is a really great guy to do buisness with.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24690.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	262596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37701.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	262597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx63161.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	262598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31415.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	262599  
Old 04-24-2005, 08:59 PM
EVOL

Default RE: Winter Project Complete - BTE Flyin King

one more.............

notice the pull-pull tailwheel cables.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96088.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	262600  
Old 04-24-2005, 09:08 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Nice work Evol...

I have one myself and love how it flies. You'll be very surprised on how this thing performs. I like flying mine around putzin around the sky, but put the coals to her and she'll do just about anything you want.

Be sure to post your results of the maiden flight.

You can see mine at this link: http://www.flyinking.com/tschuy.htm

Good luck and enjoy....

Old 04-24-2005, 09:28 PM
EVOL

thx tschuy........i cant wait to fly it. i will post coments about the first flight as soon as possible.

Chris
Old 05-15-2005, 10:14 PM
mimhoff
My Feedback: (3)

EVOL--

Have you had a chance to fly your "Flyin' King" yet?? I am real anxious to here how it flys and to see if you like your engine selection. I think your FK is best looking color/design I have seen on a an FK yet. Love the Forest Service scheme. I have mine on order from Bruce and can't wait!!! I am thinking about a white/purple scheme similar to yours and make it a fantasy FedEx cargo plane. I am leaning toward Saito 81GK but would like to see how your Saito 91 GK. Might re-think my selection depending how your 91 GK does.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:22 PM
tomd-RCU

Hello,

This Flying king was built two years ago. It was built over winter during the academic year by a group of students. It is powered by a OS 91 four cycle. It flies beautifully and is very stable. It bears the school logo.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:52 PM
mimhoff

tomd-RCU---

Your pics came up with the dreaded little red x's.... I am trying to decide which engine to use-- I have to buy whatever I decide on. I am torn between the OS91 II FS or the Saito 82a. I have had great experience with O.S.'s never owned a Saito but like it's lightweight and have heard mainly good things.

I have a few questions if you have a moment.......
Did you build as a taildragger or trike?
Was your FK nose heavy with the OS??
Is there any advice on things to do/not do during the build??
Is there anything you would have done different now that you have flown th FK?
What size wheel/tires did you use?
What size fuel tank??
What servos??

I am trying to learn as much as I can about building the kit so I am ready to go when it arrives. I am a new builder and would like to get the FK right the first time.

I have talked to Bruce a couple times at BTE Models and he has been great but would like to hear fro some owners.

I can't weight to start
Old 05-18-2005, 11:19 AM
dtom

Hello Mimhoff,

If you can't see the pictures, let me know and I will email them to you.

The airplane was built like a trike with four inches wheel all around. In the front, however I used the FULTS dual strut landing gear. It gives , I feel , better ground handling. The tank was a 14 ounce Dubro. The plane came out a little nose heavy and I had to use a bit of lead weight in the back. The OS 91 with a 14X6 inch was more than satisfactory to pull the plane. I used regular JR servos (537). The instruction are well written and I did not deviate a bit from them.

Good Luck
Old 05-18-2005, 11:51 AM
mimhoff

dtom--

Thanks for filling me in on your build. I am planning to build as a trike as well using a Fults nose gear. I put one on my Senior Kadet and it ground handles much better -- plus some of my landings have been somewhat less than perfect and the Fults has done great. I have also ordered the heavy duty main gear from Bruce as well. Thanks for sharing the info on your build I appreciate it.

Yes -- I can now see the photos now. Very good looking - Thanks.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:37 AM
EVOL

i would suggest building this plane with the BTE tailwheel. i have talked to people who have flown it both ways and all of them stayed with the taildragger config. plus the tailwheel form BTE is REALLY nice .

i used standard ball berring servos on all control surfaces except the flaps. Bruce suggests a high torque servo so i went with a futaba 100 oz.

it sounds like the FK will fly with a saito 82 but everyone i know has gone with a 91 four stroke or larger.

EVOL
Old 05-19-2005, 01:27 AM
mimhoff

Evol --Thanks for the feedback.

I was out flying my Rascal this afternoon and I am finally getting the hang of flying a tail-dragger. I keep changing my mind -- after flying today I want a tail-dragger. Bruce at BTE is including a second landing gear block so I can build it with both and have options. My good friend/instructor at my LHS is recommending the OS91 II Surpass but I really like the look of your 91 Saito GK. Probably can't go wrong with either.

What size tires/wheels did you use on the mains? I saw somewhere that the recommendation was between 4" and 6". I think that 6" ones would look awesome -- but I have no idea how it ground handle or land? Just curious what others have used and how they worked.