Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tower Uproar 60 Ready to Maiden...

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tower Uproar 60 Ready to Maiden...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 09:47 PM
WYDAH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Uproar 60 Ready to Maiden...

Hi All,

Just completed my Tower Uproar 60 kit and can't wait to see how it does on the maiden. I purchased this kit as an inexpensive throw around fun fly that was a bit bigger than my Sig Somethin' Extra, but hopefully just as fun and agile. I'm using a Tower .75 engine for power. The kit builds easy and I stuck pretty much to the plans. The only additions were:

1). Sheeted in two rib bays on the root end of the wing halves.
2). Moved center fuselage hatch from top side to bottom side.
3).Sullivan TailWheel assembly.
4). Wheel Pants.
5). Canopy.

Does anyone have any experience with this plane? Any input on what to expect for flight characteristics? Seems most of the post on RCU are for the smaller 40 size. I didn't find a lot concerning the Uproar 60.
Lots more pics of the build on my RC site below if anyone is interested.

Later,

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71011.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	262625   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28113.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	262626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80945.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	262627  
Old 04-24-2005, 10:22 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tower Uproar 60 Ready to Maiden...

really nice, I like the covering scheme alot.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:49 AM
FlyBlueSkies
My Feedback: (2)

Nice Web Site!

I like all your planes, but I really like your Skybolt!

I couldn't help notice that you had a link to Barcode Printers...are you in that kind of business somehow?

Jeff
Old 04-25-2005, 12:16 PM
WYDAH

Hi,

Glad you like the plane and the site. Covering is Ultracote Perl White base with Flor. Violet flames. Flight surfaces is Chrome Monokote...(much harder to put on then the Ultracote by the way...).
As for my site, I just have some free space on Prohosting.com. They put up the add banners at the top and bottom of my pages. The price I pay for the free webspace they provide. It's not too bad overall, and gives me a place to post my planes.

-Enjoy
Old 04-25-2005, 12:18 PM
jspencer
My Feedback: (6)

WYDAH-

I have one of these and it is a lot of fun to fly. I'm powering mine with a OS 91 FX w/ 14x8 prop and changed out the stock gear for CF and 1.5" more height. Landings are a breeze, slow as can be and just floats on in. I always take it with me to the field especially on windy days, cause it is easy to fly and land even in the wind. It is not a speed plane with that big airfoil and flat bottom.

If I had to do it over again, I would try to move the tank back closer to the cg and put the battery Rx and throttle servo in the fuel bay. Also would have built up a cockpit/canopy for more bite to knife edge. Increase the rudder and elevator size and widen the opening in the elevators.

Make sure that you have a good strong push rod (CF reinforced or something else) on the elevator and a high torque servo as when in a dive, my stock push rod had a tendency to flex causing it to pull out slowly instead of with authority.

I think that you will enjoy this model. Mine is my throw around plane as it was my first kit build and is now 5+ years old. Lots of fun and enjoy.

James
Old 04-27-2005, 08:02 AM
WYDAH

Hi James,

Thanks for the flight characteristics info. As you mentioned, I did notice the lack of rudder throw due to it interfering with the elevator halves. Hopefully it won't impact my flying style too much. You've got me a bit concerned over the elevator push rod issue you had. I'm using the stock 2-56 rods to a ball link. The rod is a fairly short run back to the elevator ( maybe 6 - 7" ) but it sounds as if it might be prudent to upgrade to at least 4-40 rod. I don't have anywhere near the power plant (Only a .75 Tower engine.)that you have, so maybe if I just keep the speed down it will hold up fine.
I was curious what others are weighing in at. Mine totals just about 8.5 lbs. I had to add approx. 2 oz of lead in the tail just under the servo mounts to get the proper balance, as well as another 1 oz on the left wing to get the lateral balance adjusted. The 8.5 just seemed pretty high. My extra canopy, pants, and sheeting in the top/bottom of the first two rib bays at the root may have add some, but I wouldn't think it would have total much more than maybe a few ounces.
The weather is not looking to good for the weekend. Can't wait to try this one out.

Regards,
Old 04-27-2005, 10:23 AM
jspencer

WYDAH-

The 8.5 lbs does sound a little high, I'm not exactly sure how much mine weighs, maybe I'll have to put it on the scale tonight and check it out and will let you know.

I would fly it first and see how the elevator response feels first and then go from there. I just held the elevator and I could see the flex in the 2-56 rod.

With the side mounted engine I had to add wight to the left wing as well. Even at 8.5 pounds I don't think you are going to be disappointed, landings are a breeze the plane just floats in. You won't have unlimited vertical, but definitely a good time.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:14 AM
carrellh

I'm almost finished with an Uproar 60. I installed an ASP 61 and made just a few deviations from the plans.
I used the Dubro heavy duty control horns that are a 6-32 screw with an adjustable nylon horn (similar to the ones on aileron torque rods) on all control surfaces.
4-40 pushrods and the thick red arms on my Hitec servos for all controls
Sullivan tail wheel bracket
The gluing area for the stab seeemed pretty small so I put 3/8 tri-stock underneath

Should this plane be balanced upright, or inverted? The plane seems to balance upright with the battery on top of the fuel tank, but it's very sensitive on the balancer. I haven't tried it inverted.

I'll get my brother to bring his scales over to weigh the plane.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:40 PM
jspencer

carrellh-

I balanced mine upright. That sounds about right with a 61 in the nose. With the servos in the tail and the smaller engine the Rx and battery would have to be moved forward. With the 91 in the nose my battery and Rx are right under the front of the servo mounting tray.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:55 PM
combatman

Wow, 8.5 pounds for the Tower Uproar .60? I was hoping that with a Saito .91 in the nose, she would at least hover a bit, but I dunno if my Saito can hold that much weight.

Is there anything that can be done to lighten this plane?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:02 PM
WYDAH

Hi Combatman,

It could be just my building style. I always seem to build on the heavy side. I tend to use quite a bit of epoxy for one thing. I epoxied the wing tubes and the wing center section and firewall pretty heavily. I even epoxied the fuse doublers since it gives me a bit more working time to line the halves up as opposed to trying to set them with CA. I'm also using a 1400mA NiCd Rx battery which weighs a bit more. Add ons such as the Sullivan tailwheel bracket, wheel pants with 5/32 axles, canopy, and sheeting in two rib bays top and bottom of the wing roots too. Plus I needed about 2 oz in the tail, and another 1 oz or so on the left wing for lateral balance. It all adds up I'm sure. You could probably easily get under 8 lbs without much work.
Anyone else have some weight numbers for their Uproar 60?

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92093.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	264266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57827.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	264267  
Old 04-28-2005, 03:30 PM
jspencer

I weighed mine last night and it was approx. 7.75 lbs. That is with CF gear, bell crank on the throttle (engine side mount) and metal wing nuts for the wing bolts, no other changes from the plans. If you wanted to deviate from the plans and built it light you could get it to hover easily. With my 91FX it will go vertical for a long time, and with some weight saving it probably would with a .75 or something in that range.