Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Somethin Extra and Crow Setup

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Somethin Extra and Crow Setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 07:53 AM
huge75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somethin Extra and Crow Setup

Hi,

I’m in the process of assembling a Somethin Extra (my first kit). At the club where I fly I saw a guy with a UltraStick and the crow setup on his plane. I found it very interesting and would like to do the same on my SE. I bought 4 HS-81 (2 servos for each ailerons), made another servo tray and I’m going to split the ailerons to have 2 servos on each side. I searched a lot to have information on this and haven’t found much… The way I understand it is the flaps and ailerons are going to work together at the same time except when the crow mode is enabled, am I right?

Anyone has any experience with this setup and can provide feedback? Does it have any downside? Is there any maneuver I’m not going to be able to do because of that setup? Should I just build the kit the way it is suppose to be and leave the crow setup aside for now?

Thanks for your input!!!
Hugo
Old 04-26-2005, 08:11 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Somethin Extra and Crow Setup

I tried it on an Ultra Stik 40 and was somewhat underwhelmed.

The difficulty you will experience setting it up depends entirely upon the capabilities of and your familiarity with the radio used. The concept is simple; flaps are down, ailerons are up.

Perhaps because I do not fly this so-called "3D" is the reason I do not see the uses of crow in a powered model. Not throwing rocks at those who do enjoy 3D; it is simply not my cup of tea.

However, the two extra servos and linkages added substantial weight to the model; it was a borderline pig to fly, even with the power of a 70 Surpass. Perhaps, on a larger model with lighter wing loading, this wouldn't be an issue.

Good luck.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Red B.

Hi hhebert!

I use a crow set up on my present SIG SE [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/34525/Ig13734.jpg](picture here)[/link].
It works very well and it allows you to fly at ridiculously low speeds. I have set up my JR-388 radio so that I can operate the ailerons/flaps in the following combinations:

-All four surfaces operate together as ailerons.
-Normal Aileron and Flaps operating independently of each other
-Crow, either fixed or proportional
-Flaps with drooping ailerons (for those ultra slow landings I ue approx 45 deg of flaps while both ailerons droop approx 20 deg)

In addition I have the possibility to mix elevator -> flaps in order to allow tighter loops.

Try it, it's a lot of fun.

/Red B.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:31 AM
hookedonrc

It's an interesting idea and am impressed with Red B. has done on his SE. Just one comment though... I have an Ultra Stick 60 with crow programmed in it and I haven't hardly used it. It's more me than anything, it's just that it the US slows down so much anyway, I never think to use it. The SE will slow pretty slow with out the crow or flaps as well.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:48 AM
LSP972

<<The SE will slow pretty slow...>>

There it is. Not to take anything away from Red's work, but in any wind at all I can make mine literally stop and fall straight down (with the model still parallel to the horizon) for as long as I can keep the wings level and the nose straight. Looks bizarre...

I read somewhere that crow was very useful for slowing a model in straight vertical down lines.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:18 AM
huge75

Thanks a lot guys for all the replies!

I saw Red B's plane, awesome!! Very good looking!

The first wing is done and the 2 servo trays are in place.

The second wing is almost completed, but I think I'm going to wait before installing the servo trays and work on the fuselage a little bit before I set my mind.

I'm going to use a OS.46AX engine and I already have a JR XP9303 radio.

I've done the servo trays with balsa, it seems pretty solid but I'm not sure if it's going to be strong enough... Is that part of the wing(servo trays) needs to be very strong? Don't get me wrong, it seems to be fine but I just want to make sure it's gonna hold everything when I'm going to maiden the SE! hehe This is my first kit, so I'm learning a lot of stuff!

Hugo

Old 04-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Red B.

Steve Campell wrote:
Not to take anything away from Red's work, but in any wind at all I can make mine literally stop and fall straight down (with the model still parallel to the horizon) for as long as I can keep the wings level and the nose straight. Looks bizarre...
Yes. Thing is that with crow it won't fall and it is rock steady with no tendency to fall off to any side. In still air the speed is a brisk walking pace. The only way to slow it down further is to get into 3D mode and hover, but for that I prefer a helicopter :-).

/Red B.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:42 PM
LSP972

<<...but for that, I prefer a helicopter...>>

Me too.

I don't do any 3F (flip-flop flying) with either.