Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG SKYBOLT 60 AILERONS

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG SKYBOLT 60 AILERONS

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 10:30 AM
skypiratescotty
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG SKYBOLT 60 AILERONS

Hey Fellas,

I have a skybolt 60 that I bought used and it only has ailerons on the lower wings. I was wondering if I could add ailerons to the upper wings to make it more aerobatic. If so, how would I go about doing it.

I really only have experience assembling ARFS but have all the tools I need to do a project like this. I really don't want to sell this plane to buy an ARF if I can make this Skybolt perform better.

Thanks,
Scotty
Old 04-30-2005, 01:51 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: SIG SKYBOLT 60 AILERONS

I would fly the plane as is before you go cutting it up. I think you'll be fine.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:24 PM
skypiratescotty

Thanks rc-sport,
I have flown it five times. The first time was over in about ten seconds after climb-out and the engine died. Turned out to be a pin hole in the fuel feed line. The next two flights were simply racetrack pattern around the field to get used to how it flew and I realized it needed more aileron throw so I adjusted that. It seems as it still needs more as even on high rates axial rolls are closer to barrel rolls and on low rates it won't roll at all.

I don't pretend to know so that is why I'm asking questions and I do appreciate all your input.

Thanks
Scotty
Old 04-30-2005, 05:10 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

If you feel confident that you can do, then you should. Call Sig and see if they can get you a set of drawings to help you.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:39 PM
iflircaircraft

I have the Great Planes super skybolt. It has dual ailerons, the top are slaves connected with rods and control horns from the bottom (single servo for each bottom aileron).
The wing span is 57" with each aileron being 12" long from just inside the wing tip.
If you have full span ailerons on the bottom now with torque rods and a single servo it would be quite a job to go to dual ailerons.
If you have full span ailerons with dual servos the job would be much easier if the servos are on the outboard side of the wing panels.

I hope this is of some help.

Tom
Old 05-03-2005, 05:50 PM
skypiratescotty

Thanks Tom,
Unfortunately there is only one servo for the lower ailerons and that is what concerned me the most so I quess that answered it. I really wish it was a little more aerobatic so I 'll be shopping for something else. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Scotty
Old 05-05-2005, 12:50 PM
iflircaircraft

skypiratescotty:
I, however, have seen full span dual ailerons on some bipes.
Since you have torque rods to your existing ailerons with one servo, you could put a servo on each torque rod and use a y-harness to the receiver.
Cut off the trailing edge behind the rear spar of the top wing just inboard of the wing's tip toward the center section of the wing, using the bottom aileron as a length guide, sand a "V" on the leading edge of the wedge, hinge and mount to trailing edge of top wing. You can use the existing trailing edge or buy some aileron stock at your LHS the same size.
Cut all but the first hole from a control horn and mount this on the bottom of the top aileron and on the top of the bottom aileron so they are perfectly vertical of each other approx one third of the aileron's length from the torque rod. Usr 2-56 rod or heavier and make two connecting rods of the same length with clevises.
The rest is just making sure the top and bottom ailerons are centered when in neutral.

Hope this helps:

Tom
Old 05-05-2005, 12:57 PM
iflircaircraft

oh sorry. You'll have to decrease your throws to about a third of what they are at now on your ailerons.

Tom