Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Flying wires on FunAero SE5a kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Flying wires on FunAero SE5a kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Mindwarp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying wires on FunAero SE5a kit

Hi folks,

I've recently purchased the FunAero 60" SE5a kit, and was wondering if anyone had installed flying wires onto it? This is my third kit build, and my first that has even approached the scale world.

I'd like to install flying wires onto the model but am at a complete loss as to where to start. I've performed a few searches on this and other R/C sites, but have not found any information that I, as a complete newbie, could put to use.

Would flying wire equipment such as Sullivan's line be appropriate for this model? I was thinking that they might be too 'heavy duty' for this model, as it doesn't actually require the flying wires to be functional. The FunAero instructions mentions using nylon coated fishing wire, but my problem is in understanding how to attach the wires to the wing structure and fuselage. If anyone could guide me toward a tutorial, book, or set of posts detailing a scale flying wire install that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for the help,
Neil.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:25 PM
tom johnston
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Flying wires on FunAero SE5a kit

I wouldn't even bother! I always turn heads at the field when I bring mine out, and, it flies great. In the air you can't see the flying wires, anyway. this plane does all the stuff that the original planes did in "The Great War". Power it with the recommended Surpass .91 and try to resist giving it full throttle. Fly 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and you'll have plenty of power for a nice scale like flight. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. BTW, check the wires for the cabane struts. Mine had to be re-bent.
Tom
Old 05-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Mindwarp

Hehe I'm hearing a lot of good things about this model, and can't wait to take it to the field and give it a try. I'm planning on putting an O.S. FS-90 Surpass II into it, and definitely want to fly it in a scale manner. Did you build the steerable tail-skid on yours? Also, did you go the Solartex/paint route for covering, or one of the iron on plastic coverings? (Is it even possible to get something like Monokote in a matte finish?)

The reason I wanted to put flying wires on it is purely for the visual effect. I'd like to have a model which pleases me as much visually as its flying characteristics. Plus I've never done this before and I like a challenge

I've got to admit though, after having only built an LT-40 and a BT Venture 60 the instruction manual for this beauty makes my head spin!

Thanks,
Neil.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:29 PM
tom johnston

I cheated a bit and put on a steerable tailwheel. If you look very closely at the pics on the box, you'll see a tailwheel on the prototype .60 size SE5a. This steers much better on our asphalt runway.

As for covering, I used World-Tex, which is about the same as Solartex, but with maybe a slightly finer weave. I did the whole plane in the "antique" finish and painted the olive drab colored parts with RAF Green Tamiya paint. I bought all the paint they had in the hobby shop. It comes in very small cans. Anyway, I figured that i should probably do a coat of fuel proofer over that. I covered the cowl with Silkspan because that was painted metal on the full scale and I didn't want the weave to show - O.K., so I'm a bit picky! Here's a picture of my plane in flight.
ORIGINAL: Mindwarp

Hehe I'm hearing a lot of good things about this model, and can't wait to take it to the field and give it a try. I'm planning on putting an O.S. FS-90 Surpass II into it, and definitely want to fly it in a scale manner. Did you build the steerable tail-skid on yours? Also, did you go the Solartex/paint route for covering, or one of the iron on plastic coverings? (Is it even possible to get something like Monokote in a matte finish?)

The reason I wanted to put flying wires on it is purely for the visual effect. I'd like to have a model which pleases me as much visually as its flying characteristics. Plus I've never done this before and I like a challenge

I've got to admit though, after having only built an LT-40 and a BT Venture 60 the instruction manual for this beauty makes my head spin!

Thanks,
Neil.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76732.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	267028  
Old 05-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Mindwarp

That's a beautiful looking model. I only hope that mine turns out half as good!

You know, I'd love to cover mine in fabric and paint it but I've never done that before with a model and I'm more than a little nervous that I'll ruin it at the very last moment! I'm going to take a look at the various coverings and fabrics at the local hobby store and see what's available to me. Who knows, I might be feeling a little more reckless when I finally come to covering (which at my build speed should be early 2009 .)

Thanks,
Neil.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:15 AM
tom johnston

In my opinion, there should be a law against covering something like this with anything but fabric. Seriously, though, fabric is really easier to use than film. It goes around compound curves super easy and tightens right up and isn't affected by heat like film. If it does loosen just a bi, just hit it lightly with a heat gun. As far as painting goes, I just spray from the can. I know this isn't very high tech, but it sure saves money on spray equipment. There was no masking required on this plane. Just spray the top parts of the wings and horizontal tail surfaces and the whole fuselage in the green and give everything a coat or two of clear coat to fuel proof.

By all means, go with their recommendation and use pull-pull for the rudder and elevator - you won't regret it.

Her's another picture of my plane on the ground.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29879.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	267227  
Old 05-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Mindwarp

I know what you mean about the fabric. I think I'll end up giving it a go and just hoping for the best. I'm also fully intending to use a pull-pull system on the rudder and elevator - I really like the look of them as opposed to the usual push-rod system.

Just out of interest, did you spray the rudder/roundels, use Monokote, or purchase decals? If decals, which supplier did you use.

Thanks for the close-up picture by the way. My manual was quite a poor print quality in more than a few places and it's really me to be able to see some of those details clearly.

Thanks,
Neil.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:48 PM
tom johnston

The roundels on the fuselage and on the top wing were from Major decals. I cut the white edging from white trim material using a stainless pan for the wings and a drinking glass for the fuselage. I bought the decals for the bottom wing from Cal-Grafix on a special order. They are the same diameter as the top wing, but have no white edge, so they appear larger.

I know what you mean about the photos in the manual. DISMAL! It helped me to print pictures from Funaero's web site for details.

This kit builds faster than you might think. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I do mine. BTW, this is strictly fun scale and is not intended to be exact.

Tom
ORIGINAL: Mindwarp

I know what you mean about the fabric. I think I'll end up giving it a go and just hoping for the best. I'm also fully intending to use a pull-pull system on the rudder and elevator - I really like the look of them as opposed to the usual push-rod system.

Just out of interest, did you spray the rudder/roundels, use Monokote, or purchase decals? If decals, which supplier did you use.

Thanks for the close-up picture by the way. My manual was quite a poor print quality in more than a few places and it's really me to be able to see some of those details clearly.

Thanks,
Neil.