Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Something extra build question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Something extra build question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 11:18 AM
hancop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something extra build question

I am at the point where you have to put the balsa over the fuel tank area and have a few questions/concerns.

1) I don't like the idea of not being able to get at the fuel tank once it is covered. Once a fuel tank is put in, do you usually never have to touch it again ?
2) The piece of balsa that covers this area has to be bent in the shape of a semi circle, therefore the balsa does not join up with the sides of the fuse properly. Really only the edge of it touches the fuse, and is it ok to just glue the edge to the fuse ?
3) The piece of balsa is actually bigger than the width of the fuse. Therefore do you just glue it then trim it flush, or cut it then glue it on ?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2005, 11:28 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Something extra build question

hancop,
I've had two SE's and I learned this on the first build. Yes, you will need to access the tank for maintenance. Some people have put a hatch in the bottom of the fuselage to do this, but I don't like adding a hatch unless absolutely needed. I feel (IMHO) they weakening the fuselage structure. On the SE you can still have access. When it comes time to put in the paper tube in the fuselage for the wing tube DO NOT glue it in. You can still assemble the wing with no problems. If you leave it unglued you can slide it out to get the fuel tank out. Also, before you put the tank in place use duct tape to make a "handle" on the back of the tank. This handle should be on the end of the tank with the tape going to over the sides of the tank, then use duct tape around the tank securing the sides of the "handle" tape. This little handle will let you pull out the tank if you need to access in the future.

Hope this helps
Old 05-03-2005, 11:31 AM
jspencer
My Feedback: (6)

hancop-

1. I've taken the tank out once as I was redoing the fueling system, just do as the instructions say and put a piece of heavy duty strapping tape around to the back of the tank to create a tab so that you can pull it out if need be.

2. Sand the edge of the piece that covers the tank at an angle so that the edge is flush with the fuse side and you get a good glue joint.

3. Use masking tape to hold the one side from #2 in place and then wrap the sheeting over the top and then trim the other side of the piece to fit from there. Once you have the right shape glue it on.

James
Old 05-03-2005, 12:14 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other thing you can do if you don't want to leave the carboard tube unglued. Open up the back side of the tank shelf by using a dremel or similar tool to make the arc on the shelf a little wider and deeper. I did mine that way the tank will drop down just as the back end of the tank reaches the cardboard tube. I had to do that with mine because I had already glued the cardboard tube in place when I thought about it
Old 05-05-2005, 06:05 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

hooked,
Excellent - I hadn't considered that option, but it's just the solution I was looking for. I've found that with some very careful trimming as described, I can actually get a 10 oz. Sullivan slant tank in and out with the wing tube in tact! I just need to remember to tape up the "handles" on the fuel tank before installation...
Thanks!
Old 05-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Kaos Rulz

ORIGINAL: krossk

hooked,
Excellent - I hadn't considered that option, but it's just the solution I was looking for. I've found that with some very careful trimming as described, I can actually get a 10 oz. Sullivan slant tank in and out with the wing tube in tact! I just need to remember to tape up the "handles" on the fuel tank before installation...
Thanks!

Some day tanks will have this pull-tab built as part of the tank. Dubro, Sullivan and others, can you hear me???? [sm=idea.gif]
Old 05-05-2005, 08:23 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad I could help...you are really going to like this plane. It is one fun flyer.
ORIGINAL: krossk

hooked,
Thanks!