Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Piper 1/5 Scale J-3 Cub kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Piper 1/5 Scale J-3 Cub kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 01:03 PM
swe048

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Piper 1/5 Scale J-3 Cub kit

Anyone have any info on the Sig Piper 1/5 Scale J-3 Cub kit, as far as the quality of the kit and the level of skill needed to build it. Any comments would be appreciated, I am considering this for my first kit build and from what I have read about the kit it seems to be a good one. If anyone knows of any better Piper Cub kits I would like to know about it please. I have decided on a Cub as my first kit, I just want to find a good kit with quality materials and one that isn't too complicated to build for a first timer.

Thank you in advance for you time and comments.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Sig Piper 1/5 Scale J-3 Cub kit

Excellent kit to build, but maybe not for your first. It has some advanced building areas like the opening door and window, and scale like landing gear that needs to be soldered together. If you go slow and think about each step before you begin, you will still have a plane that flys very well.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:19 AM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built a Great Planes .60 size Cub kit as my first kit build. It is probably a little simpler than the Sig kit, but still relatively accurate for scale. Not super detailed, but looks realistic. The .40 size is basically the same kit. Instructions are great.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:39 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I built one of these as my second kit, and 1st scale model; if you've built kits of anything else (cars, boats, etc) you'll know that things have to be done correctly and carefully for the finished product to look good. Take this about five more "notches" and you'll have an idea of the challenge of building an airplane, especially one that is intended to fly. Building an ARF , if you've done that, will help as far as engine and control mounting, balancing, assembling the individual pieces goes, but doesn't really prepare you for the intricasies of cutting and fitting that goes with building a kit.

That being said, the Sig kit is laser cut, so the pieces don't need to be sanded, whittled on or modified to fit together; there IS a lot of stick building, but the plans are very well done and there are plenty of pictures to help. Be sure you have an absolutely flat building area at least 3 feet wide by 5 feet long (a hollow core closet door from your local builder's center is perfect, costs about $20). TAKE YOUR TIME, and use the recommended adhesives in the recommended areas. Covering can be a challenge, and is hard to describe in a message; if you're a club member, get an experienced builder to assist you. If you're not a club member, join one.

I think you can probably do it, and you'll have a plane that is a classic, looks and flies very well, but it is not a trainer. It requires attention the entire time it's flying, but it will certainly be a fun plane to fly (unless you want to do torque rolls or 3-D stuff), and once you learn to take off and land it well, you can fly about anything else.

I would be happy to give advice as you build, when you have questions about things that may confuse you. I don't know what you have in mind for power, but the Cub just screams for a 4-stroke. Something in the .56 to .70 range will give you all the power you need to fly it like a Cub should fly. I have a .65 Saito in mine, and am partial to Saito's, but OS, Magnum, etc also has some good engines in that range.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56460.jpg
Views:	1065
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	273712  
Old 05-19-2005, 05:00 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Khodges built a very nice 1/5 scale,
I cannot comment too much on the 1/5 but the 1/4 is by no means a beginners kit. I am sure you can build it but you may struggle with some areas of the construction. I have built a dozen or so kits and my 1/4 scale was a handfull for me to build. Just take your time and make sure everything is nice and straight, check and double check before glueing!!!! Like Khodges said a flat building board is an absolute must, your plane will only be as straight as your building board. I built mine over a thick piece of tempered glass and the plane came out very straight. The only down side is the glass is expensive and heavy
Good Luck!!!
Anthony
Old 05-19-2005, 11:51 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: CubNut

my 1/4 scale was a handfull for me to build.
You made it look like a piece of cake, Anthony. Has it flown yet? and if so, how'd the maiden go?
Old 05-20-2005, 12:58 AM
cheechukranch

It's a fantastic kit that goes together like a puzzle. This is my 4th kit and by far the most pleasant to build...follow Sig's instructions and you won't go wrong.

Steve did mention the most difficult, or rather tedious, portions of the build. Take your time and enjoy...

Name:	Zx71678.jpg
Views:	3529
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	273895   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43804.jpg
Views:	2272
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	273896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze84643.jpg
Views:	1159
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	273897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk23051.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	273898  
Old 05-20-2005, 06:25 AM
khodges

Cheech-- great "in the bones" pix, that ought to show the structure well. Is that carbon fiber I see in the cabin structure? That's how I reinforced mine, too.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:48 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: khodges

ORIGINAL: CubNut

my 1/4 scale was a handfull for me to build.
You made it look like a piece of cake, Anthony. Has it flown yet? and if so, how'd the maiden go?
It has flown and it is my best flying plane to date, check my thread for the story and pics
Anthony
Old 05-20-2005, 07:47 PM
cheechukranch

Yes...I followed your suggestion from a previous thread. Once I got into the build it seemed like the obvious thing to do considering how little structural support was in that area.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:11 AM
swe048

I would just like to say thank you all for your comments and pics, they have been informational and helpful.

Cheech, could you tell me more about using carbon fiber to reinforce the cabin area. What you used for material, adhesives used, and exactly where you put it in the cabin.

khodges, that Cub Grasshopper you built is awesome, I have seen other pics of it on here and it is very impressive.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:48 PM
cheechukranch

I laminated both sides of all formers and supports in the cabin area with carbon fiber and finishing epoxy. The solid carbon rods in the cockpit that form an upside down "V" replaced the wood. I had the carbon rods on hand so I used them...this is probably not that useful, but I think it looks better and is certainly stronger than wood.

I probably would not have done any of this had I not a 3 year old boy (see above photo) that lives to go to the flying field and push airplanes around by the wing.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:58 PM
texastwister3

Hello WacoNut,
This is my first question since I have been in RCU. I am seeking some information onbuilding the Sig 1/5 Scale Piper J-3 Cub. I would like to know if you had any trouble with the routing of the elevator control tube as far as binding due to the way it is routed around the F-7 former just before it exits the fuselage. I have been debating whether or not to drill a hole through the former so it would give the control tube more of a straight shot to the exit. I am concerned that by doing this that it might compromise structural integrity. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I end up mangling this model. I have chosen this more or less as a trainer for myself. I have a great planes trainer forty, but it has a symetrical airfoil and is extremely too fast for me. I am planning on putting in a supertiger S45K with a pitts exhaust. The kit calls for a 40 to 46 two stroke engine, but I am concerned that a 45 may not be enough power. Do you have any enlightenment on the subject of power requirements? I am building the basic J-3 and not the clipped wing version.

Thank You.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:22 PM
texasclouds

what covering type are you guys using?
Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 PM
rmantoo

I would like to know if you had any trouble with the routing of the elevator control tube as far as binding due to the way it is routed around the F-7 former just before it exits the fuselage. I have been debating whether or not to drill a hole through the former so it would give the control tube more of a straight shot to the exit. I am concerned that by doing this that it might compromise structural integrity. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I end up mangling this model.

I've built this plane once before, about a year ago, and I"m in the middle of building it again. I liked building it so much I gave the first one to a friend as a trainer, just so I could build it again, with a few custom touches of my own.

Although I don't think that the binding is an issue (I know exactly what and where you're talking about) one of the beautiful things about this hobby and these planes is that we can customize them as we please.

If you are concerned about the binding, and/or simply want to make it bind less and more elegant or to fit your desires, you can drill the hole, and reinforce it by making a balsa doubler epoxied (sparingly) in place around it.

These planes don't like heavy tail sections so be careful about adding weight back there, although they'll fly pretty much no matter what, they get sluggish and kinda unresponsive with heavy tails.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:46 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheechukranc, what engine is this in your plane, I am getting ready to build a Sig 1/5 cub, just looking for the right engine right now,
Thanks
TB
[img]What engine is this in your plane, I am getting ready to build a Sig 1/5 cub, just looking for the right engine right now, Thanks TB[/img]

Name:	Xv64832.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1434426  
Old 05-11-2010, 07:41 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: TonyBuilder

cheechukranc, what engine is this in your plane, I am getting ready to build a Sig 1/5 cub, just looking for the right engine right now,
Thanks
TB
[img][/img]
Electric!!!

Here is my build thread on Watt Flyer:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38812

SunDevilPilot

Name:	tr49612.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1434514   Click image for larger version