Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig hog-bipe landing gear position...

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig hog-bipe landing gear position...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 01:02 PM
techsarge
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig hog-bipe landing gear position...

I recently finished a Sig hog-bipe and have flown it a few times when I can get it off the ground without tipping over. I've flown a couple of other taildraggers and haven't experienced the same problem. A while back I remember seeing some recommendations for mving the lg foward to stop the problem but I can't find those comments. Also, when I've landed, guess I didn't get enough up elevator at the right time and it tipped over on its nose a couple of times. No doubt I need to practice more with it because it flies great. Did anyone deal with a tipping problem by moving the lg forward and, if so, how far? And if you moved the gear forward, did you replace the lg block and if you moved the new block forward how did you manage to keep the block parallel with the fuse bottom and avoid the upward curve of the cheeks?

Thanks...

Ed
Old 05-21-2005, 08:33 PM
dmanson

Default RE: Sig hog-bipe landing gear position...

I built a hog and have flown it a few times without incident. I made a larger landing gear plate and positioned the gear 1/2 inch forward of plan. Routed out the fuse doubler to accomodate a the larger plate; don't remember having to deal with curvature of the fuse.

On take-off I hold up elevator until the hog starts to roll a bit; then ease off and let the tail come up; once take-off speed is reached add a little up elevator. Be sure to ease off on the elevator once you've got a little speed or it will be a very short and disappointing flight.

Don't remember any problems on landing, though probably added up elevator as the hog slowed to a stop.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Dsegal

I have watched two Hog Bipes at my club with no takeoff problems and my 3/4 scale Hog also is easy to take off. Don't move the landing gear.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:00 AM
FLYINMIKE-RCU
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with mine . Made a new Landing Gear that moved the axles forward 1/2". Gear was like a Bucker Jungman only not as extreme. Couldn't even notice it to look at it.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:48 AM
jspencer
My Feedback: (6)

Made my maiden on my hog yesterday with the gear moved 1/2" forward and had no problems at all. Take offs and landings were sweet. I would take FLYINMIKE-RCU's suggestion and just get new gear made with a forward sweep that will move the wheel 1/2" forward and it should take care of your problem. Also check your cg again as it sounds like you are very nose heavy. Mine balances an 1-1/2" behind the spar on the top wing and it flew great.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:16 PM
techsarge

Thanks for the suggestions. I really hesitate to remove the old landing gear block and install a larger one cuz with the triangle stock it could turn into a major piece of work. Had I known I'd run into this problem, I would have changed the position of the lg while I was building.

FLYINMIKE - I don't have the equipment to build new landing gear but glad that solved the problem.

DMANSON - I just looked at the plans and if I decide to move the lg and install a new block, the curvature shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the tips and have been trying to follow them but looks like I need more practice.

DAVE - I sincerely believe that in my case it's the pilot and not the plane. I think I have to get used to using a little up elevator on takeoff and landing and using the correct amount is the trick, I think.

JSPENCER - When I balanced the plane I set it at the most forward position as shown on the plans but I intentionally balanced it a little nose heavy. Not sure if I used an ounce or 1.5 ounces to get it to balance slightly nose down. I think that would be the easiest route to go first before I decide whether to deal with the lg. Might be worthwhile to move the cg point a bit to the rear and remove some nose weight and try again.

Thanks again, fellas.....

Ed
Old 05-24-2005, 06:18 PM
techsarge

Hi...

JUst wanted to update what I did with the landing gear. I'd replaced the aluminum lg with nylon gear that I had used on my 4*60. It was a perfect fit even to the holes used to bolt it to the fuse. But what I didn't bother to do was notice that the aluminum gear had a forward rake while the nylon gear did not. I'm kinda embarrassed because I'm not sure that I even initially installed the original gear with the rake forward. Anyway, the aluminum lg now sets the axle forward about 3/4" more than the nylon gear and hopefully it will solve the problem. Also, JSPENCER, I took your advice and checked the cg again and it seemed to be more than a little nose-heavy. I removed all the lead (about 2 1/4 oz) from the engine mount and now it is just barely nose-heavy. I have the cg set at 3 5/8" from the leading edge which is where I had it before.

So, fellas, thanks again to all of you for the suggestions and I'll let you know how it flies this weekend.

Ed
Old 05-24-2005, 09:00 PM
jspencer

Glad you were able to solve your issue. When I maidened mine on Saturday it took off and landed like a dream, no problems at all. Take offs were fairly straight just a hint of rudder and landings were very nice, a little faster then I am used to, but the ground handling was as good or better as all of the planes that I own.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:15 AM
techsarge

Did you have to adjust the lg for any toe-in? I've read that there should be some toe-in but never had that problem with any other kits I built. On the few flights I've had with the bipe I used a little rudder but it was pretty stable. I also noticed that it came in a little hot on landings. The field has some tall trees that were in the approach path and that probably contributed to the excess speed. It is a good flier. I'm using an OS 61 FX but have a Saito 91 in another plane that I may swap out later. The wx this weekend looks iffy with rain forecast but the wx folks have been wrong before. Thanks again and appreciate your comments....

Ed
Old 05-25-2005, 09:51 AM
jspencer

Ed,
I didn't adjust for any toe-in and as you experienced it is pretty stable. The gear are fairly wide and flexible, which make for soft landings and great handling as long as the gear are not close to or under the balance point. It is amazing how much that 1/2" makes. Landings were a little hot, but mostly due to lack of experience with the hog. I think once I get settled in with it landings will be fairly slow and gentle. On the last landing that I had, I came in quite a bit slower then the first two and didn't see any bad tendencies.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:56 PM
techsarge

JSpencer.

It looks like it should be ready to go if and if the wx cooperates that could be soon. Forgot to mention that I used 3.5" wheels rather than 3" because I had them. I just got home from work and the wife has the van but I think I may try to get out Friday, again depending on Mother Nature. I'll let you know how things go.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 09-03-2005, 09:08 PM
techsarge

JSpencer...

Finally had the chance to resolve the problem. Seems that one wheel was not rolling as freely as the other and added to the confusion on takeoff. Guess I was trying to compensate for the problem by adding rudder and didn't concentrate enough on keeping the tail down until I built up enough speed to neutralize the elevator. Anyway, flew it today and the takeoffs and landings were free of noseovers. Had a long day at the field because I also flew a 4*120 with an ST G2300 engine. Also had three successful flights with the 4*120. Gentle to fly and does float.

Ed
Old 09-12-2005, 01:29 PM
papadave
My Feedback: (2)

Try a simple solution first. Take a close look at the landing gear and figure if you have it on correctly. I swapped mine around and the ground handling problem fixed itself! Good luck.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:12 PM
techsarge

Papadave...

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried swapping the lg around to see if one way placed the wheels in a more forward position. I thought that would resolve the problem. After much consternation, I found that one wheel was binding just a hair and it was causing the plane to want to ground loop. I was concentrating on trying to prevent it from nosing over and ground loop and guess it was too much for me. After I got the wheels on correctly, the takeoffs and landings were as smooth as silk. Now I believe that it is a great plane to fly. Operator error wil get me every time <g>. Thanks again...

Ed
Old 01-16-2009, 01:31 PM
AircamperAce
My Feedback: (11)

Wow, I went too far, I moved it 1 1/2" for some reason. Do you think this will be an issue?

Thanks,

Ryan