Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Santa wants to know

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Santa wants to know

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 02:56 PM
CTDave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Santa wants to know

Santa has asked what she(Imean he) can bring I was thinking of moving up to gas with a 4* 120 what gas engine would you put on this bird.I'm not into speed or high end acrobatics just nice relaxing flying.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:02 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Santa wants to know

RCS 140 or 180

http://www.rcshowcase.com

Evolution 26T would also be a good choice
Old 10-22-2005, 08:35 PM
CTDave

Thanx I was looking at it and it sure looks good,where can I find the evolution 26t?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:05 PM
bubbagates

Right here

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=EVOE26GT
Old 10-22-2005, 09:15 PM
CTDave

Thank you,it might be time to start selling off some of my new and near new motors these look mighty niceseems like a nice way to get into some bigger planes.Everyone has been telling the gas engine are so nice and less problems I know bigger planes are easier to fly too.I have been eyeing the weed whacker and leaf blower in the garage but my wife keeps saying no waythey better stay where they are.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:20 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: CTDave

Thank you,it might be time to start selling off some of my new and near new motors these look mighty niceseems like a nice way to get into some bigger planes.Everyone has been telling the gas engine are so nice and less problems I know bigger planes are easier to fly too.I have been eyeing the weed whacker and leaf blower in the garage but my wife keeps saying no waythey better stay where they are.
Yep, big planes fly way better and gas is much easier to deal with. Your all up weight can actually be lower because ou can go with a much smaller tank so you need to carry less fuel

When I take a gasplane to the field I take the plane, the fuel can, the TX and a glove. I get there and range check, fuel it, start it, range check again and fly. When I'm done, I toss everything back into the truck and go home, NO CLEANUP [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-23-2005, 08:03 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Zenoah G-26 would be another good choice for this bird. A buddy at my field has this setup and it's a dream. I've had the stick on this plane and it is a joy to fly with the gasser pulling it around the sky.

Ken
Old 10-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the RCS 1.40 in A 13 pound 73 inch Extra and it has more then enough beans to fly this plane. Only problem is the carb is in the rear and may cause you to use that old thinking machine when you are setting up. Other then that it is just gas and go. No engine snot to clean up either. The price of A gallon of gas and A couple of ounces of oil is all it takes.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:12 AM
CTDave

Thank You to all,my christmas list is pretty much made up,I'm keeping a couple small glow engines and the rest is going.maybe a kit or two also.Like that tv show were movin on up.Givin my age away now.haha
Old 10-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You can convert a Ryobi 31cc weedie for under $100 EASILY.

Call around to the local lawn mower--small engine--shops and see if they got an old one lying around that someone never came back to claim. Lots of times--it ends up costing more than they are worth to get them fixed. Most people will just leave it at the shop and buy a new one for $50. The small engine shop will be happy to sell ya one for $20 or less just to get it outta the way. He might even give it to ya if you tell him what your gonna do with it and promise to come back and show it to him when it's converted and installed on the plane.

Buy a carb rebuild kit from the small engine guy. They cost $12--$18 depending on the shop and the carb on that particular weedie. Rebuild the carb before you even try to start it.

As long as the piston and cylinder are in good shape---they are almost indestructable.

Buy a new ring from Frank Bowman in Farmington, NM. For a little added expense--you can convert it to electronic ignition. Call RCIGN1 a.k.a. Ralph Cunningham for the electronic ignition. VERY SWEAT setup.

If you want to keep the stock ignition system---but yours is broken--contact me. I've got a box full of Ryobi coils and magnetos

www.wackerengines.com for mufflers, mounts, hubs...etc..

On the 4*120--move the firewall back about 1" and look at putting some servos in the tail for balance.

Don't blow $400 on a 25cc Roto. DO A CONVERSION FOR $100!!!!!!! You'll be hooked for life.[:-]
Old 10-23-2005, 08:43 PM
CTDave

I will give that some thought,heck I have been wanting a new weed whacker and my homlite is now getting tough to find parts for the string head at the end of the shaft so maybe it is time to take it apart and give it a new home on the front of a 4*120.I still have to finish my telemaster 40 so we have time to think about what I want to do.Santa (she) said ok anything I want sooooo