Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Foam to Balsa glue???

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Foam to Balsa glue???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 12:36 AM
georgehere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam to Balsa glue???

Hi Guys.. Recently acquired a bottom wing racer. Name on it is "Lucky Lady." The plane took some damage, so I got it for a low price as it has an OS Max .32 with a tuned pipe. The plane seems to be mostly foam. I need to reinstall the wing saddle and wing bolt plate. The plane was a RTF when sold and had the balsa and ply attached to the foam with some kind of glue. I have been told that I can't use CA as it will eat the foam. I have some sandable aliphatic glue that I used when I was sheeting a wing. the damage is so severe that the elevator is now flexible on one side as a result of hard impact, it has lost its rigidity, so I need to build a blasa elevator and attach to the foam body. Appreciate any help.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:55 AM
TerrellFlyer

I use epoxy or polyurethane,like the poly best because it expands as it dries filling in the gaps and rough spots
Old 11-23-2002, 02:25 AM
georgehere

Default Glue

Thanks for responding, John. I'm not familiar with polyurethane used as an adhesive. I have polyurethane gloss varnish in a spray can used on high gloss wood finishing. Would my hobby shop have the adhesive for foam/balsa use? I have 15minute and 5minute epoxy, but did not know how it would act on the foam.
George
Old 11-23-2002, 02:36 AM
TerrellFlyer

with epory or finishing resin I use one that gives me time to correct a few mistakes if I goof,small stuff,15 minutes,large stuff I'll use one hour which gives me lots of time on large wings.The polyurethane glue can be purchased at hardware and discount stores, Tite Bond,and Gorilla Glue are two brands I'm used,sure there's more brands in the world.You can do a search on this forum and get more info.,Hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2002, 02:47 AM
georgehere

Many thanks, John. Needed a product name.