Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

JACK STAFFORD Models Aircoupe's

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

JACK STAFFORD Models Aircoupe's

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 02:30 PM
ekir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JACK STAFFORD Models Aircoupe's

Since I moved from Kentucky to Central Florida five years ago, I have learned that I do not get many days that are stay at home & build. In Ky., the winter weather gave me reasons to build & that is what I did for thirty years.

Cubfloater, you will find it an interesting build. It appears to be very strong, but some imagination is needed on the assembly. It is interesting that I have worked my way (with Anthony's help) through the difficult parts of construction and now all I need to do is finish. Go figure!

Ed
Old 12-13-2008, 05:46 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

yes, I'm going to need help too. I used to the sig kits with lots of pictures and instructions. This one is very brief.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:17 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

The plane is alot of work but it builds into a very nice looking and flying plane. The wing has minimal internal structure and depends on the skin for the strength, once completed the wing is incredibly strong. The fuse is the same way, I recommend leaving the bottom of the fuse open until you get all your control linkages completed. The rudder hookups are a TPITA and if I had to do it again I would build the plane without rudders. The plane turns fine with just aileron and elevator and doesn't show much adverse yaw without rudder input.
Flying the Coupe is a treat, it is a very clean design and it is a fast flying plane at full throttle and it carries alot of energy. You need to plan ahead on the landings and lose altitude and airspeed before setting up on final. I have over shot the runway more with this plane than I have with all my other planes combined. Flying off of grass is almost impossible, it must be very short grass. I fly at a Sod farm and I have to take off on the dirt where the Sod has been cut.
If you need any help with the construction don't hesitate to ask. Hopefully I can remember Both the Coupes that I built still survive, my Coupe is still waiting on a replacement engine.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 04-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Don41

ORIGINAL: cubfloater

yes, I'm going to need help too. I used to the sig kits with lots of pictures and instructions. This one is very brief.
Hey cubfloater,,, ever get that Ercoupe built? Started?

Regards
Old 04-18-2009, 09:49 PM
cubfloater

No, still sitting in my shop waiting to get built. You ever finish your Elder? I've been working, trying to hang on. Haven't even flown this year. Need more time and energy. Don't know where I'll get either.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Don41

ORIGINAL: cubfloater

No, still sitting in my shop waiting to get built. You ever finish your Elder? I've been working, trying to hang on. Haven't even flown this year. Need more time and energy. Don't know where I'll get either.
The Elder is about 95% complete. I got a bug to customize a Telemaster 40 and, as always happens in such cases, I was left with an unfinished plane (Elder). I'll get back to it though.

Not sure what I can call the bashed Telemaster now. It's certainly no longer a Telemaster though (:-).

I imagine the Ercoupe will take some time when it comes to placing the fuselage skin but the plane should be a real jewel when you are done. You wouldn't happen to have a four stroke 40 to put in it would you?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:55 PM
cubfloater

actually planning on putting a Saito 56 on it. Should sound and fly great.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 AM
JoBaa

Hi to all of you pilots out there. I recently obtained Plans for the JackStafford Ercoupe from Leisure Rc. I have now completed the wings and am moving on to the fuselage. For those builders that are in the process there are a couple of things that I would change. One being on the rear spar, it calls for 1/4 X 1/2. When the ribs were fitted to this spar it left a small open area on the top between the ribs, about an 1/8 inch, no problem until one goes to place the aileron hinges in, the plan call for placement of the hinges near the top of the spar, no materieal there, I could have extended the hinge blocks higher but that would also require patching onto the top of the spar. I would suggest that instead of using 1/2 for the spar I would use 1/4 by 5/8 which would solve the problem. Since I missed this before covering the wing, Iuse Robart hinges which let me angle down to the blocks.

I owned and flew several Ercoupes in my younger days, and had the pleasure of Meeting the designer Fred Weick and his wife Dorothy, Mr. Weick went for a ride in one of the coupes I had.

By all accounts this is a good flying model and look forward to a lot of good times with it. I found it extremly helpful to read all of the postings on the Ercoupe, it helps a lot. This is a builders airplane while there are some challenges, there is nothing that cannot be corrected if done wrong the first time.

I have a OS46 with twin exhaust out the bottom, so the mount will be sideways.

My opinion is that anyone building a plane either from kit or scratch is way ahead of buying an ARF. The ARFlooks great but I'll take a builders plane anyday.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:28 PM
JoBaa

Hi to all, Ineed some help. Iam building the JS coupe from scratch, the plans don't match the templates etc, but I can work with that. I am now working on the tail section. I just don't get how its all suppose to come together. The instructions say put in 1/4 X 1/4 filler blocks, no other info on that. Anyone have a photo of how they did the bell crank to get to the rudders, It just is not to clear how this was done. I was able to look at other photos for other parts of the plane and that helped a lot. Looks like Iam running out of room.

Any help will be appreciated. I also found that the template for the fuselage sides do not match the sideview plan, discovered that after I had installed the firewall, cut the firewall off and put on a new one. This has been one difficult project.

thanks for the help.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:47 AM
quaxi

hello to all of the ercoupe friends.

I am looking for a plan of this nice oldtimer, does someone have a scanned version ?.

I got a OS FS48 fourstroke, that would be the right engine.

best regards from germany

Wolfgang
Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 AM
WacoNut

Look up Steve Ort, he goes by OldScaleGuy here on RCU.
He is one of the owners of Jack Stafford models and he may be able to help you out with whet you need. Steve is a very nice guy to deal with.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-15-2011, 11:02 PM
quaxi

Thanks Anthony,

i will try to contact him.

best regards Wolfgang
Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 PM
wed-subawu

Hi Everyone

I recently acquired one of these kits, and I'm looking forward to building it. Lots of character with those twin rudders, big bubble canopy and great colour schemes to choose from. Should be a fun / challenging / frustrating build with that rounded fuselage!

Two questions - 1) Will an Enya 46 4-cycle be enough power for this plane? I would likely mount it inverted, with an on-board glow lighter as well. I fly off a fairly smooth grass strip, and I could always up-size the wheels a bit, too. 2) Has anyone tried the Robart Robostrut nose gear assembly on this? It looks pretty scale, and was just wondering if it would fit ok.

thanks
JW
Old 10-25-2011, 07:55 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine had a Saito 65 in it (great running engine but not powerful). It was fine flying but struggled on the ground in thick grass. However, mine was painted and a bit on the heavy side too. If you keep it light and have short grass you should be ok. The correct Robostrut should work fine. Please post some pics as you go through the build.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:56 PM
WacoNut

Hi Guys,
I dug out my old coupe and I am getting it ready for flying. New servo's and 2.4ghz receiver and new batteries. The plane has a little hangar rash from sitting in the basement for quite a few years but it still looks good. I will take some pics at the field tomorrow. I am just hoping I can get the engine running.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 07-03-2012, 04:00 PM
WacoNut

Took a few pics of the Ercoupe, I hope it still fly's as good as I remember it did. Looks pretty good for a 6yr old plane.
Later!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56028.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	1778305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88800.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	1778306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56592.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	1778307  
Old 07-04-2012, 02:44 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It still looks great. Good luck with the flying.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:50 AM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WacoNut.
It still looks great. If youoiled theengine when you put it away you should have no problems starting it up. I put after run oil inan Enya 40 which is in myGoldberg Jr Sky Tiger that sat for 17 years and it started right up like it was just run the day before. My after run oil isa 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil and transmission fluid. I gotthat mixfrom a Clarence Lee article in RCM many years ago and it does work great.

I like thatcolor scheme you did and have saved your pictures as I may do minethe same colorswhen I eventually build it. What did you do for finishing? Monokote or fabricor fiberglass and paint?
thanks,
Bill

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

Took a few pics of the Ercoupe, I hope it still fly's as good as I remember it did. Looks pretty good for a 6yr old plane.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 07-04-2012, 08:35 AM
WacoNut

I engine started up fine and after a few tweaks of the carb it ran great. I was unable to get it in the air. The runway had not been mowed and it struggled to reach flying speed in the grass and then it would ground loop. I will try it again this weekend after the ruway is mowed.

Bill,
The plane was covered with Sig Koverall. I filled the weave of the fabric with Polycrylic, it took about 5 coats to get a smooth finish. The plane was then painted with latex and the markings were painted with Model Master paints.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 07-04-2012, 12:32 PM
ekir

Anthony, the Stafford Kit is still looking great. Looking forward to your flight report later this weekend.

Ed
Old 07-13-2012, 03:22 PM
WacoNut

Ed,
How did your Coupe come out?

I finally got around to stopping at the hobby shop today and picked up a new set of wheels for the Coupe. I went from 2-1/2" mains to 2=3/4" and went up to 2-1/2 nose gear from 2-1/4". I also tweaked the main gear legs a bit as they had bent a little from the previous flights and getting knocked around the basement for the past few years. It is sitting nice on the gear now and should rotate just fine.

Our club has a Fun-Fly tomorrow and I hope to fly the Coupe if the weather will hold out as they are calling for a 50-60% chance of rain.
Later!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79927.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1781557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65195.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1781558  
Old 07-15-2012, 09:57 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an ercoupe kit on the way but not sure the build instructions are included.just in case they aren't does any one have the instructions that can be scanned or copied and emailed to me or posted here?
Thanks to thebluemax I recieved a pdf file of the instructions and posted them for future use by anyone in need.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Vt56643.pdf (3.39 MB, 94 views)
Old 07-15-2012, 11:02 AM
WacoNut

Wish I could help but mine are long gone.

Tried flying again today. I was having trouble with the nose gear it wsa getting really sloppy in the steering. After fighting it for a couple attempts I did get the plane airborne but it was starting to climb really steep as soon as it lifted. I over corrected and put the plane back on the ground hard and bent the front gear leg and broke the prop. I will get a new gear leg this week and try again next weekend.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 07-15-2012, 11:33 AM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found my copy of the manual. So PM me your email address and I will scan a copy as a pdf file and email it to you.
Bill

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

I have an ercoupe kit on the way but not sure the build instructions are included.just in case they aren't does any one have the instructions that can be scanned or copied and emailed to me or posted here?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:35 PM
WacoNut

New steering arm on the nose gear and I was able to straighten the strut. Everything seems to be working good so I will try to fly it again later this week. I have a 4 day weekend coming up so maybe I can get some flying in.
Later!!
Anthony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.