Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Monokote Blues

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Monokote Blues

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Dr1Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote Blues

Hi fellow airheads!

Actually, it's not Monokote Blue, it's True Red. I built a Sig Kadet LT-40 kit for fun and profit (mostly profit). I decided to cover it in a red/white/blue scheme, just to make it different (and prettier) than your standard Kadet.

I already had Ultracote white and blue. I liked the Monokote True Red against the blue better than the Ultrcote red, so, against my better judgment, I bought a roll.

I'm covering the red/white stripes on the top of the wing now. It seems that Top Flite has the "shrink" setting dialed up to just under "strip paint". In fact, I have a paint stripper I seriously considered using. My Coverite Black Baron iron is turned up to around 350 to attach the edges, and my heat gun is working overtime. It takes an obvious color change of the Monokote to actually shrink it, and I'm holding the gun in one place a LONG time. It's a big PITA.

I'm seriously glad this will be the LAST plane I cover with Monokote.

To those who use and get good results with Monokote, more power to ya.

Just venting a little.

Dr.1

Old 05-03-2006, 03:52 PM
tuwood

Default RE: Monokote Blues

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

Hi fellow airheads!

Actually, it's not Monokote Blue, it's True Red. I built a Sig Kadet LT-40 kit for fun and profit (mostly profit). I decided to cover it in a red/white/blue scheme, just to make it different (and prettier) than your standard Kadet.

I already had Ultracote white and blue. I liked the Monokote True Red against the blue better than the Ultrcote red, so, against my better judgment, I bought a roll.

I'm covering the red/white stripes on the top of the wing now. It seems that Top Flite has the "shrink" setting dialed up to just under "strip paint". In fact, I have a paint stripper I seriously considered using. My Coverite Black Baron iron is turned up to around 350 to attach the edges, and my heat gun is working overtime. It takes an obvious color change of the Monokote to actually shrink it, and I'm holding the gun in one place a LONG time. It's a big PITA.

I'm seriously glad this will be the LAST plane I cover with Monokote.

To those who use and get good results with Monokote, more power to ya.

Just venting a little.

Dr.1

I really need to try Ultracote sometime. I've covered 2 planes with monokote & they both turned out great and I truly enjoyed working with it. I half wonder if I would struggle using Ultracote because I'm used to working with Monokote.

I think the color selection is one of the things that drove me to Monokote in the first place. I could never find colors I liked in Ultracote.

Anyway, hope it's an easy fix and you can get the color scheme you wanted.

Tony
Old 05-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Mike Baldwin

The 21st Century Film is allot like the Ultracoat film as well. I dont know if it was a wierd isolated incident or what, but a week a go two brand new planes that were covered but two different club members had Ultracoat come off during flight in the same day. The first plane I think that it would have pulled off no matter what covering you used, the builder only covered to about a 1/8 inch past the mid point of the leading edge. We heard some flutter and he slowed the plane and started to bank for the approach and a whole section of the covering came off the wing. I tell you what, with out a top and bottem of the airfoil planes dont fly real well. Got wet getting that one out with the piolit. The second was covered well past the center of the leading edge of the tail section and it also started to come up in flight. The tail of this plane was sheeted so it wasn't as critical. Heard the flutter and landed with out incident. Thats two in one day. Ive used Utracoat without incident, but I always go at least a half inch past the center of the leading edges. I know that most people have stated that they really like Ultracoat, but this make me a little leary. I think it would be fine as long as you dont leave any joints exposed to the wind.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Sukhoi_Madness

ORIGINAL: Mike Baldwin

The 21st Century Film is allot like the Ultracoat film as well. I dont know if it was a wierd isolated incident or what, but a week a go two brand new planes that were covered but two different club members had Ultracoat come off during flight in the same day. The first plane I think that it would have pulled off no matter what covering you used, the builder only covered to about a 1/8 inch past the mid point of the leading edge. We heard some flutter and he slowed the plane and started to bank for the approach and a whole section of the covering came off the wing. I tell you what, with out a top and bottem of the airfoil planes dont fly real well. Got wet getting that one out with the piolit. The second was covered well past the center of the leading edge of the tail section and it also started to come up in flight. The tail of this plane was sheeted so it wasn't as critical. Heard the flutter and landed with out incident. Thats two in one day. Ive used Utracoat without incident, but I always go at least a half inch past the center of the leading edges. I know that most people have stated that they really like Ultracoat, but this make me a little leary. I think it would be fine as long as you dont leave any joints exposed to the wind.
That point is applicable to any covering.

It's won't only be Ultracoat that fails with improper installation...

Matt
Old 05-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Heat guns wear out. If your an avid builder, and the heat gun has lots of hours on it, then you might need a new gun.

There was another guy recently--I think it was Q&A forum--had the same problem, and he bought a new heat gun. He was a lot happier after he purchased the new gun.

Can't hurt. They're cheap. I got one free from Tower a few months ago. They were offering a free heat gun to Saver members who made a purchase over $100. I snatched one up real quick. Tried to do it again a week later with another big order, but they only let you have one free. [&o]
Old 05-03-2006, 11:56 PM
parrthd

I use monokote for most all my planes. I've got a roll or two of econocote but only for planes that were already covered with the stuff. I've used a Milwalkee Heat Gun since I started covering around a year ago. I keep it set on 950 or so but fly like the wind when I'm shrinking. It only takes 1/2 second too long in one place and you're patching a hole.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting ready for the maiden (hopefully tomorrow) for this recently Monokoted E260. I didn't need to use the heat gun during the entire covering process. Wish me luck!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18313.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	455674  
Old 05-04-2006, 05:31 AM
burgh_guy61
My Feedback: (11)

This exact topic is/was highly discussed in the pattern forum. Your right MK has changed and for the worse. If you look at the roll on reverse side it probably has a "speckled" look and the stuff doesnt want to lay flat. I am in the process of changing to ultracote myself and i was a long time user of MK...but no more.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:46 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I agree that MK has gone through a process of change, and not for the better. I used the stuff throught the 70's. It now performs like some of it's cheap imitators. I still remember covering a Kadet trainner for a freind with red mk. It was a pure joy and went on almost effortlesly. Stayed tight and looked as good as a trainer can look at the end of a flying season. I used red a couple of years ago and it cured me on MK. It performs no better than some of it's cheap imitators now.

Do what I have done and switch to Solartex, build mostly scale models that were covered in Aircraft Fabric. I want no more MK.

JEB[:@]
Old 05-04-2006, 10:26 PM
flyathome
My Feedback: (7)

bps,

I agree!!! Monokote now performs like the cheap junk I used to buy years ago when I couldn't afford anything better. It is now impossible to get the kind of results I want. I have also found that some colors are much worse than others. I have used Monokote for years, but am seriously considering moving on to something else.

Steve
Old 05-04-2006, 10:42 PM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

Here Is Though
If You Just Striping With The MK Or Putting It Over The Ultrscote Try Trin Solvint By GP.It Stinks But You Don't Need Heat To Get You Color Skeem Square.
You Have A Few Minutes To Slide Things Around And When It Drys It Will Not Come Off.Just Make Shure You Have A Fan And A Open Window A Least.iI tryed It In A Basement And The Stuff Gave Me A Buzz.so Be carful.
I Also Vote For Ultracote.Aerocote ( By Sig)Is Great To Work With too.
I Have One Last Roll Of MK After That I Am Done With It.The Only Thing I Like About MK Is It Has A Better Glossy Finsh.
John
Old 05-04-2006, 11:00 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Great Planes will tell you there is no difference in Monokote. I will tell you thats BULL!
I have many new rolls of monokote from the early 80's. I can take a roll of the old white and apply it with no problem at all. When I try to use "new" white, it isn't even close to the same stuff. Different shrink rate, different thickness and different tolerance to heat.

I switched to buying Ultracote a long time ago. If I need fabric, I am really fond of Nelson's Colorfab.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:22 PM
ZeppelinIII

Do any of you guys know if they have changed the chemicals in MK? My father has used it for years, but the current plane he is covering (with fairly new stuff) leaves him feeling sick, kinda of along the lines of a CA reaction. Just curious what you guys think, and yes, I will search RCU, but I'm being lazy because I saw this thread first...

thanks for any thoughts,
- Zep
Old 05-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Bass1

I just finished covering a pretty good sized plane with MK and there was a noticable aroma but it didn't affect my health. At least I don't think it did![X(]
Old 05-07-2006, 06:17 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

DR1,
If you use Monokote as your primary covering, try using Econokote for the trim. Econokote goes on at a lower temp so you don't get a lot of bubbles.

papermache
Old 05-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Dr1Driver

That's true, but despite what Tower and Top Flite say, Econokote is not fuel proof, only fuel resistant. I use a hot trim iron and/or Windex to trim. I work very slowly and get pretty good results. This time, I'm not trying to trim, the Monokote is a primary color.

Dr.1
Old 05-18-2006, 02:37 PM
chopper man

I am currently building the Top-Flite Piper Arrow. I haven't built anything in a long time so I consider myself once again a beginner. I was going to us Monokote to cover the plane but after reading the stories I have some concerns. Does anyone have an opinon on what covering would be more user friendly and provide a good looking finish? Thanks
Chopper Man
Old 05-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Dr1Driver

I'd go with Ultracote.

Dr.1
Old 05-18-2006, 02:53 PM
burgh_guy61
My Feedback: (11)

ditto the ultracote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:45 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used both and only Ultracote now.

Econokote doesn't last long! It will separate between the clear and color layers. It frays at the edges after some use. I patched a trainer with it and had bubbles after a few months. Plus, it melts too easily. I would rather put Ultracote over MK if I had to since it is lower temp.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:04 AM
yel914

I've covered a few planes with Ultracote and also used a bit of Sig Aerocote with great results. I decided to try Monocote metallic blue on my new Skybolt and have to say that it does stink! (performance, not aroma) It's back to Ultracote and Aerocote for me.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:41 AM
maekju

I've been in this hobby on and off for the last 20 years. I've only used two other covering materials besides MK. One was Econokote and the other I believe was a covering made by Carl Goldberg (i think) I used it to cover a Sig King Korbra years ago. I bought it because it was the only thing I could get at the time (i was living in England at the time). What ever it was it was a lot easier to use then MK and I can't recall having any problems with it for the life of the plane (over one year). I covered a Hots II about a year ago with MK. I've always thought MK was a PITA to use. I have a Ulitmate waiting for me when I return from Iraq and it's going to get a nice covering of Ultracote. I've heard nothing but good stuff about it. I can't wait to give it a try.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:47 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maekju, That was Ultracote.

UC was originally a Goldberg product. Hangar-9 bought it when Goldberg sold out a few years ago.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

About 8 years ago I noticed right away something was wrong with the MK, went over to UC and never looked back again. As for it peeling, if you don't go over an overlap with A hotter iron after it is completed it can come loose. I almost never use my heat gun anymore with UC, I just turn up the iron and go over it until it has shrunk, sometimes A wing tip just has to have the gun though.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:53 AM
Bass1

I will say this about Monokote... I've been using it for close to 25 years now and it always seems to work with a little practice. I still get great results, although it seems I need to vary the application procedure with each new project. Not sure why. My only complaint is the matching Lustrekote spray paint doesn't always match. I had a recent problem with the Lustrekote matching the Monokote and when I brought this to the manufacturers attention( Hobbico?), they sent me new cans of paint and primer at no charge that they "hand picked" and all is well now. I still like Monokote and will continue to use it.[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.