Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First kit/get back into it plane

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First kit/get back into it plane

Old 07-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Paladin049

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First kit/get back into it plane

Hey, folks...need your advice, please. I am looking to build my first airplane kit, and at the same time use this plane got work back into the hobby. I have not flown in over 2 years. I'd like something other than a full-fledged trainer, as I think I would get back into the groove quickly, but at the same time I don't want to over-reach and drill a hole in the ground! My prior experience was mostly with an Avistar, and some time with a Big Stik 40 as well. I was pretty good with those, doing basic aerobatics and such.

I was thinking of a SIG Four Star 60, as from all I read it floats on landing, is tame with proper control throws, and yet will fly a pretty full envelope when you increase those throws. As I have an older OS .91 four-stroke on hand, I figured a .60-size kit would be about right. I'd prefer a semi-symmetrical wing even on a high-wing bird, with less dihedral than a true trainer.

My thoughts were that a few sessions on a buddy box with an instructor would knock the rust off and once I re-soloed a bird such as the Four Star would allow me to grow more quickly.

What would you recommend?

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-28-2006, 04:12 PM
RVM

Default RE: First kit/get back into it plane

I did the exact same thing as you are and I built a Bruce Tharpe Engineering Flyin' King. It's big. I've got a Saito .91 on mine. I should maiden it either later today or tomorrow.

The build was easy, though I made quite a few mistakes, all my own fault. The materials supplied are fantastic. If you need help Bruce is always available. He replies to e-mails within about 8-12 hours usually and will answer the phone all day.

This would be my suggestion.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:22 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bruce Tharp kits can be summed up in one word: EXCELLENT!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:54 PM
carrellh

If you were flying solo with the Avistar and Stik, a Four Star should be a great choice. Your thought of getting a little buddy box time for the first few flights seems like a really good path to come back.

I’m currently assembling a 4*60 ARF; planning to use a 91 four stroke.

It is “sort of” a replacement for my avatar plane, a SIG Astro Hog, which crashed this spring. If you don’t mind a build that requires a chainsaw, and other heavy equipment, the Astro Hog is a great flyer and it has a look that makes me think of a full scale plane someone might have built in the garage 50 or 60 years ago.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:14 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTE Venture 60 for a good build. I hadn't built in 30 years from a kit. I am covering mine now. Get the glue kit, and the wheel spats.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:57 PM
RVM

Like Bingo said, if you go with Bruce Tharpe definitely get the little kits he provides for the planes. He's got glue kits, and tailwheel kits, and this that and the other. It's all reasonably priced and all is tested with his kits. The glue kits are especially great. I got it for the FK even though I use mostly aliphatics for building.

If you want something a bit more aerobatic, then the Venture 60 would be a much better choice than the Flyin' King. The FK is designed to haul loads, fly slow and launch sailplanes.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:58 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to admit, the kit builds rather quickly. I will also admit, the covering takes a lot longer than the stick building part. Maybe I am just getting old, but it took all day today just to cover the wing. No fancy markings, just covering the wing. I didn't think that the covering took that long.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Paladin049

Coolness, thanks, gang. I considered the BT Venture, but I like the look of the Four Star better. From what I've read that puts me in a solid minority, but... I do wish SIG would post their construction manuals online as PDFs like TF does. I'd love to be able to read through it several times before the box arrives!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:32 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Go with the Venture 60. Bruce designed the 4 * 60 when he was with SIG. He corrected the problems with the Venture. I did the maiden on one of our club members Venture yesterday. It flies so much better than any 4 * I have ever flown.

Rich
Old 07-31-2006, 05:11 PM
RVM

Nice little factoid!

ORIGINAL: staggerwing

Go with the Venture 60. Bruce designed the 4 * 60 when he was with SIG. He corrected the problems with the Venture. I did the maiden on one of our club members Venture yesterday. It flies so much better than any 4 * I have ever flown.

Rich

Paladin, if you do some searches on the Venture, you'll see that you can bash the snot out of it, just like the Sig 4*60. Also, you'll see that with just a little bit of extra work, the Venture can be made to look even better than it already does. Personally, I think the Venture looks better than the 4*.

Check out some bashed Ventures. You might like the look a lot better. Sometimes simply adding a cowl can make a plane look totally different.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:45 PM
wingnutinc

I have to second what RVM and tailskid. The BTE Flyin' King is the way to go. My FK was maidened today. What a great flying plane. The last build I did was 1969. I couldn't have picked a better kit to get back into the hobby. As a easy building kit, with good easy to follow instructions and a easy and fun to fly model. The BTE Venture 60 will be my second build.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Balsa USA used to sell a model that looks a lot like the 4*120. I believe it was a Stingray. But, I cannot find it listed on their kit pages anymore.

It's bigger than your 4*60, but you know what they say--bigger flies better. Your 91 would be a bit small.

If you are going to stick with the 91 engine--the 4*60 is a fantastic kit and I think your on the right track. Perfect 2nd or third airplane. And the perfect plane to get your wings back after a little time away from the hobby. I've built 2 of the 4*60 planes and 2 of the 4*40 airplanes and 1 of the 4*120 planes. The 120 flies the best, but the 60 is a great plane too. I bashed and modified my 40 size planes so much, they barely resembled a 4*40, but they flew great too.

The 4*60 with a .91 4-stroke is just about as perfect a combination as a guy could put together for a nice 60 size sport plane.