Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SSE

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:35 PM
zachmccool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSE

I just ordered the SSE, and cant wait for it to come in! I'm going to really take my time (this is my first Kit and first none RTF), and build it in my dorm room. The only mods i have in mind is about a 1/2 in. extension on the TE of the ruder, and a more solid mount for the wings (don't like trusting a rubber band to the life of my first built kit!). If any one would like to give me some advice on building/modifying this kit please respond! I need to know how to you guys did these mods and what works best!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:30 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SSE

Believe it or not, the rubber bands work pretty well. I don't think there is a lot of force pulling outward on the wings. Just make sure you use some epoxy on the j-bolt threads and that they have no nicks or burs. The only problem I could see is a weak or damaged rubber band that fails. If you aren't confident in the set-up though, a lot of people have done nylon bolts.

One modificatin that I strongly recomend is getting rid of the stock pushrods. They constantly change length with the temperature. It can be a real pain re-trimming the plane all the time. I'd go with solid 2-56 rods, 4-40 rods or carbon rods, etc.

While I've never doen it myself, a fuel tank hatch might not be a bad idea.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:58 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I increased the rudder by 1 1/2 inches. Seems to work well. Sullivan tailwheel, replaced control rods with Goldenrods, tank hatch cover, and depending on how much work you want to get into-an engine cowl is nice.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:00 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

The SSE is a rubber band mounted wing setup?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:21 AM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

I've always just stuck a cable tie around the wing hooks... don't need to pull them super tight, just snug. works great and is a lot easier to get in that tiny cockpit
Old 02-05-2007, 08:26 AM
CGRetired

So, the wings are not bolt in, they are held in place with rubber bands pulling the two halves together?

I ask because I have not yet started my build and just got the thing on Saturday and have not looked the plans over much at all this weekend. I am going to start the build this week.

I have the Little Somethign Extra which uses a "bolt" on wing setup, the wing is one piece on that little plane. I converted it to electric.

DS
Old 02-05-2007, 08:29 AM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

yep, rubber bands... You could probably fix it so they use some nylon bolts instead of the funky rubber band idea. I'm not sure I trust the hooks to not 'pull out' with constant pressure on them from rubber bands. I didn't like it when I built it, still don't like it, just too lazy to change it.....
Old 02-05-2007, 11:23 AM
zachmccool

So increase the ruder by 1-1 1/2 inch and replace the control rods? How are the control rods done by the kit instructions? Also would a pull-pull system be a good ideal on the ruder and if so how would i set that up? (some sort of kit or something?)
Old 02-05-2007, 11:34 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

So, the wings are not bolt in, they are held in place with rubber bands pulling the two halves together?

I ask because I have not yet started my build and just got the thing on Saturday and have not looked the plans over much at all this weekend. I am going to start the build this week.

I have the Little Somethign Extra which uses a "bolt" on wing setup, the wing is one piece on that little plane. I converted it to electric.

DS
CG,
This is absolutely correct. The SSE has a J-hook in the root rib of the wing, when you slide the wings in place you simply put a rubber band between the J-hooks to hold the wings in place. Trust me, this is more than enough to keep the wings on the plane, as there isn't any force that will be pulling wings apart. I personally use a wire tie to keep mine together, but I transport my plane to the field assembled so I don't need to worry about taking the wings off and on.

Ken
Old 02-05-2007, 11:53 AM
jack41

Just a suggestion, why don't you post a picture of the plane you're talking about. It would be a great way to open a thread!
Sincerely, The less well informed[]
Old 02-05-2007, 12:10 PM
OverTheEdge

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5239448/tm.htm

Just from my experience... counter balancing the rudder will add more authority than adding to the trailing edge. On the above thread I did both counter balance and trailing edge... but on my SSE before this one I did only the counter balance. When compared to a buddy who added about 1 or 1 1/2 inches to the trailing edge... mine way out performed his in knife edge flight. I'm not real sure on the technical explaination on this but from what I've read, the control surface (counter balance) portion that is in front of the hinge line tends to be more effective than adding the same amount of area to the trailing edge. As for the amount of counter balance... I chopped about 1/2 of the tail fin off and added it to the rudder (there's a pic in the thread).
Old 02-05-2007, 12:25 PM
zachmccool

if you could explain exactly how you did the counter balancing that would be nice of you. i wont this plane to be more than good for a 3rd plane but keep me on my heals for a long time so my funds can regain their strength. Will this plane be able to do basic 3-D flight withe the ruder mod?

(used P-51 PTS, plus used scat cat RTF, plus building a SSE, plus school, plus other hobbies= really poor and tired Zach!)

This plane is the Sig Somethin' Extra for the less informed, available at tower hobby for ~$85
Old 02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
OverTheEdge

The easiest way to understand what I did for the rudder mod is to look at the picture in Post #2 of my thread.

I have seen another pilot hover a SSE and with enough throw and an aft cg the SSE can do a flat spin (but IMO not real well). It really isn't a good platform for 3d flight. I did the mods simply for the sake of goofin' off and making the plane perform certain aerobatics with more authority (knife edge manuevers). I think most people will agree that for 3d you'll want something a bit lighter.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

For those reading who haven't seen the Sig Someth'n Extra, don't get the idea the rubber bands are the support for the wing.

The SSE uses a wing support tube, running through the fuselage and into both wings.

By design, the wings are retained, on the wing tube, by a rubber band holding them next to the fuselage. Comments in this thread relate to replacement of the rubber band with some other retention device.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
ChuckW

[/quote]

CG,
This is absolutely correct. The SSE has a J-hook in the root rib of the wing, when you slide the wings in place you simply put a rubber band between the J-hooks to hold the wings in place. Trust me, this is more than enough to keep the wings on the plane, as there isn't any force that will be pulling wings apart. [/quote]

I agree, I've done countless violent snap rolls and other stuff and the rubber band system has never even given a hint that it might fail. I just don't see how there is any force pulling outward on the wing. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. Using blind nuts in the root rib and nylon bolts wouldn't be difficult at all though.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:57 PM
ChuckW

You know, you could do a lot of things to this plane but if this is your first build though, you might just want to stick to the plans. This way you'll get used to how things are built and get ideas for modifications on future kits. This plane will be plenty fun when built stock, trust me. The only thing that I personally would strongly recomend is going with something other than the stock nylon pushrods. Plane old 2-56 wire will probably do the job just fine.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:12 PM
OverTheEdge

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

You know, you could do a lot of things to this plane but if this is your first build though, you might just want to stick to the plans. This way you'll get used to how things are built and get ideas for modifications on future kits. This plane will be plenty fun when built stock, trust me.
Guess I didn't notice that this is your first build... in this case I'd have to agree with ChuckW.

And yes the rubber band method is plenty strong for a stock SSE. I'm going to use zip ties on my newly modified SSE but mainly because I think it'll be easier then the bands.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:37 PM
rotccapt

i built a SSE last year and i love it a great into aerobatic bird. i am using the stock rubberband wing attachment and have not had any problems.

the mod that i did origonaly was mounted the engine side ways and scratched out a fiberglass cowl. i also added taller landing gear and did not put the wheel pants on because i fly off of grass. after flying it i decided to add one inch to the rudder and take the top inch of the fin and addit to the rudder as a counterbalance. also somthing you might want to do is make the landing gear plate longer. i folded the gear several times and the gear plate failed each time. i then decided to make a new plate that extends from the back of the main gear to the middle of the fuel tank have not had a problem since. i decided to go with the flying wires on the tail but they are not realy nesasary but they dont hurt. i powere mine with a saito 72 spinning an apc 13X6 and a truturn spinner on powermasters ys/saito 20/20 fuel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22264.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	614718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99378.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	614719  
Old 02-05-2007, 09:07 PM
zachmccool

This is my first kit but NOT my first time building an airplane. I have build FF models and am working on a DBF plane (student project: Design, build, fly). I have many good modelers around my school and will not be doing this in the dark. How ever after reading the responses from above i think I'll build it via planes with the exception of the ruder mod, and i will use ether the ruber band or the zip tie method of atching the wings.

Thank you all,
Zachary McCool
Old 02-06-2007, 10:55 AM
h@h racing

I changed a few things on mine. A few pictures. Have always user the rubber band with no problems.

Name:	Fd92341.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	615040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22840.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	615041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64335.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	615042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37306.jpg
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	615043  
Old 02-06-2007, 03:41 PM
yel914

I hunted in the local hardware store for a spring to replace the rubber bands. I found a suitable spring with loops on each end for the J bolts. It's only better than a rubber band in that it's easier to assemble at the field. I also attached the J bolts with blind nuts in the wings. It's overkill, but I sleep better!

Name:	Pn37822.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	615148  
Old 02-06-2007, 04:39 PM
zachmccool

How did you all make your cowls?
Old 02-06-2007, 05:11 PM
rotccapt

i made mine with the lost foam method of fiberglassing. i took the demintions of the firewall for the hight and then measured from the firewall to the thrust beering of the engine for the length then added a little to that so that i had somthing to attach with. i then just made up a number for the width and then imagination took over. i was rufly basing mine off of an exta look. i then carved my plug out of blue cor and covered it in packing tape then i just glassed it and sanded the finish till i was happy then i panted it.

the cowl in my pic is version 2 for my SSE the firs one was ok but i did not like the looks of it and when i upgraded the engine it gave me an excuse to make a new one.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:37 PM
yel914

I used the lost balsa method Make the cowl from balsa and form it to shape. Cut it off and sand off about 1/32" more where it meets the fuse, FG it, when dry, sand or gring out the interior balsa. There are probably easier methods but-I'm a woodworker, so balsa calls to me!

Name:	Vs55470.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	615497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53537.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	615498  
Old 02-06-2007, 10:48 PM
zachmccool

yel914 you are the one person that i was hoping to respond to my question about the cowl. So did you just take a block of balsa, carve/sand it to shape than FG it? I would like to do this but don't think it would be a good ideal with my room mate letting me build it in our dorm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.