Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Why would you "build" a kit rather than assemble and ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Why would you "build" a kit rather than assemble and ARF

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:54 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why would you "build" a kit rather than assemble and ARF

Wow, I wish my wife would suddenly become fascinated with a F15!!!!!!

Dan
Old 05-17-2007, 08:54 AM
mopar68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to RC flying. Built and raced RC yachts as a kid.
When first scouring the RC mags with all those pretty ARF's looking back at you, the list of wants getting bigger with each turn of the page. I say the marketing is working pretty well!
My second plane & first build is a Sig 4* 60 Kit. I want to experience building, and the fact that I can bash it into something that is truly my own.
Granted I have a WM GS Mustang ARF on order. Reason - Its the biggest warbird under 7kg- 16lb aprox. Over 7kg the FAA require airworthy here in Aust. Personally I would rather build a GS kit but it would be too heavy.
Plane 3 will be a Sig Hog Bipe Kit.
Loving the building process so far, feels like your embracing all aspects of the hobby.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:32 AM
ag4ever

ORIGINAL: SPLIT S

Wow, I wish my wife would suddenly become fascinated with a F15!!!!!!

Dan

What is really funny is since I got the Corsair kit she has started reading up on Pappy and other WWII aircraft items. As she is a big book reader, she reads something and then comes to me to let me know more facts. The most recent was that the early Corsairs had birdcages and the corsair did not have a floor. I politly smile as say, "Really that is neat." I saw here the other day looking up aircraft maneuvers used durning battle. She has gotten really interested in the personal aspect of the WWII era pilots.

She even wants to take a ride in the B-17 that is housed at the Lonestar Flight Museum in Galveston. Unfortunatly, they blew an engine recently and are working to have it rebuilt. As soon as it is rebuilt they will be taking people up again.

I must say it is great having a wife that is interested in the thing you like.

She loves boating, so we have a boat (I really love being on the lake and will pick that before any other interests).

She goes diving with me, but it is not her favorite thing to do.

She goes to the field with me and helps set up, start, and cleanup. The other people have started asking how much it would cost for her to help them too.

About the only thing she loves doing that we don't have in common is reading the thick books she likes to read. I do take her to the book store often to ensure she has an able supply of books to keep her happy as well. I think she has about a dozen books in waiting.

While I sand on my plane or glue parts tgether or what ever, she just sits there and reads.

I too would like the Hercules as it will combine two of my passions, the RC Models and the Lake.

I might baby step first and just get an electric ARF Catalina to try seaplanes before dumping a few grand into a scratch built Hercules.

I don't think I will be as upset if I sink an ARF as I would be to sink a scratch built plane. Goes back to why we build, pride in the plane. For me ARF - no real pride in the plane and no personal attachment, Built - an emotional attachment that will cause pain if it is lost.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:01 PM
SPLIT S

ORIGINAL: SPLIT S

I just love building. It is just as much a part of the hobby as flying is for me. After a great day at the field flying with my buddies I almost always end up in the basement workshop working on the next flier. It's great to be recognized for your building abilities as well as your flying skills. I probably have my dad to thank for much of it - he could always see in his head what he wanted, not much pre-made was up to what he thought it should be. So into the workshop he went taking the utmost in care and planning. I was proud of my pop that what came off the workbench WAS exactly what he had envisioned - no shortcuts and quality craftsmanship.

These days my dad isn't doing so well - Alzheimers and diabetes have robbed him of much of the reasoning and the once razor sharp mind I remember when I was a kid. But every so often it still shines through. I'm glad that the talents I have within me now somehow continue what my dad had instilled in me so many years ago. I couldn't imagine settling for anything less.

Dan
This post means more to me tonight than any of you will know because the man that taught me just about everything I know, my dad, passed away earlier today. I build because I can, because it was always and will forever be the way for me. I just hope I can live up to the master and make him proud, I'll always have my pop to thank for this.

Rest in Peace Dad,

Dan
Old 05-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Kaos1964
My Feedback: (12)

Dan,

My sympathies for your loss. What a great legacy he has left! I feel the same about my Dad - he was and always will be instrumental in my involvement in this great hobby.

Regards,

Bob
Old 05-19-2007, 10:54 AM
glydrjocky

Dan,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. My father died of cancer 20 years ago. I thank god daily that he supported me building and flying model airplanes. He told me that if I did fly R/C he would support it only if I built my own aircraft. No ARF's or "Almost Ready to Fly" as Hobby Shack called them in the early 80's would be allowed

I was going to build an airplane from plans when I got this brain storm. Hey why not build an R/C glider kit. I told my dad..........."Dad, I think I'm gonna build a glider for my first kit" His words right then spoke volumes to me. He said " Now your talking!!!". He helped me through my first build, patiently, fielded my millions of questions and walked me through my biggest stumbling block..............Shaping balsa blocks into canopies and nose cones. I was afraid to even start shaping..........how to you begin..........where do you start............... We drew out templates for the nose and laid them over the nose block. removed the excess with a coping saw. Started sanding and the next thing I know we had a Wanderer glider nose cone.........perfectly symetrical! I was astonished...........it worked!!!! I tackled the canopy by myself and it too came out fantastic. The leading edges shaped up perfectly and I was on my way!!!! Pop taught me that you can do whatever you put your mind too.

I was going through an old box of balsa scraps last week and I found the pieces my dad and I cut away from that glider nose cone 25 years ago. I've kept them all this time because they remind me how afraid I was to screw up and how much I learned in those moments.

That is what you dont get from an ARF..........you dont get vivid memories!

My condolences to you and your family,

Sincerly,

Tony D.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:06 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

SPLIT S - sorry for your loss. I lost my dad to cancer when I was 19. I didn't share a hobby with him as you did. Woulda been great to have that bond with him. Sounds like your common appreciation of RC plane building/flying will keep his spirit alive.

glydrjocky - great post. I am soon to be a dad (Sept. 19th due date) and I am hoping that one day my son's interest in plane building will be piqued and he'll ask if he can build a plane. I do like the 'I'll support your hobby but only if you build it' condition. Can't yet imagine how fulfilling that would be to see one's son build and then fly a plane... awesome. [8D]

somegeek
Old 05-20-2007, 03:53 PM
tam popo

SPLIT S - Plan and build something your Dad would be proud of, no matter how long it takes! And when its done, name it something that reminds you of him Take care, man.
Somegeek- how do you manage to join the fatherhood club wih the amount of time you spend here, flying and "educating" fledgeling Stryker owners? Congrats pal
Old 05-20-2007, 04:06 PM
tam popo

Mopar68 - Hiya! There's a great thread in "park flyes etc" its "The Australian thread....", all good guys but electric (like me!). Those plane weights are scary, we build down to 24oz (Stryker etc) and most are ARF (easy to buld, fy, maintain etc). I've tried Nitro and might again in the future, but for now I'm all electric. Got my wife a plane at her request but the name is a bad choice and is well documented in some threads - its a GWD DHC2 Beaver!!! yes, I've heard all the jokes, no sniggering, laughing or pointing! [>:]
Old 05-20-2007, 06:34 PM
SPLIT S

Thanks for the condolances to everyone, it really means alot. I have a King Kobra kit that arrived a few weeks ago, I'm planning to build that just for your mentioned purpose. Before my Dad had his stroke in February he had just got a new bottle of CA and started using it a bit. I grabbed that bottle earlier today from his workshop and that will be used to assemble the King Kobra.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77524.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	688203  
Old 05-21-2007, 05:05 PM
BOLT

I have been a model builder all my life. I agree that there is a place for ARFs in our hobby. Building an aircraft is a learning process, the more you built, the more you learn. As you put your model together, it becomes YOUR creation, a one of a kind. All the upgrades you put in it to make it more solid and a better flier, not to mention that unique covering job, makes that airplane YOUR aircraft, unique as you are. When you take it to the field and someone ask you "hey, is that an ARF?" it gives you a sensation of achievement not possible with an ARF.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:20 PM
glydrjocky

A Funny Moment with my Pop! As I said earlier, Dad said I had to build if I was going to fly R/C. Some years later I had my Bridi Trainer 40 sitting on the bench down stairs with a, then new, Master Airscrew Propeller on it. Unknown to me at the time, that prop had a nasty, rough and sharp manufactured edge on it. I was standing at the bench and for no apparent reason I decided to flip the prop. FLIP! OUCH! [:@] followed by @)(*$@&)(##%+%($!!!!!!!! So up stairs I went looking for a bandaid. Later that afternoon I was walking down the stairs with a fresh bandaid in place when I met my father coming up from the garage. "BOY! YOUVE GOT A DANGEROUS HOBBY", he exclaimed. I stared at him in disbelief and said " You flipped the prop?!?!" He held up a bandaged finger and exclaimed " How did you know??????" I simply held up my own bandaged finger in reply. OH, how we LAUGHED!!!!! LAUGHED TILL OUR SIDES HURT. It was a precious moment.........

My father was an amazingly talented man and taught me alot, but he rarely showed exactly how interested he was in what I was doing, always keeping on the reserved side of things.........but on that day............. the boyish curiousty to flip a propeller, when he thought no one was looking, must have been a sight to behold..............it is a precious memory that I will cherish forever.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:04 AM
heli_Rod

SPLIT S, sorry to hear about your father. I learned to build on my own when I was a kid, building Guillow and Comet kits. My Dad couldn't help me as he was 70% disabled form WWII injuries. But I remember struggling on my own, trying to get it just right. While my Dad couldn't help, he was a perfectionist about everything he did and he instilled those qualities into me. He always said "Do it right or don't even bother doing it at all". I am still that way!

I have however taught my son to build and fly. He is now 27 years old. We got through a lot of rough times by leaning over a building board together. As I get older and my health goes away, I hope he think as fondly of me as you do of your father and remembers those times together, both building and flying.

Just remember, he is still flying, he has earned his wings.

Rod
Old 05-25-2007, 02:44 PM
NCIS

Howdy,

I had a 30% TOC Yak 54 and sold it before even taking anything out of the box. I do have one BARF in my fleet and thats the Hanger 9 Funtana 100X with a Saito 1.25 in it. I am keeping it so when I just don't care about crashing I can fly something I just can't and never will love. I didn't even assemble it. I had a builder friend of mine do it. There wasn't any interest in that part for me. I have built many a Civilian scale aircraft and now I'm finished with that. I am building my Top Flite 1/8 scale F4U-1 Corsair and when I ever get it finished I'm going to be building Don Smith's 1/4 Scale 120" wingspan 91" fuselage F4U-1 Corsair. Building and flying is my life. I don't just build the kit, I make all sorts of modifications like lighting systems, sliding canopies, simulated fabric covered ribs, panel lines, rivets and you name it. The 1/4 Scale F4U-1 Corsair will probably take me 3 years to build. I am strictly building Giant Scale WWII Fighters and Bombers from now on if I live that long.

I will always build & never buy BARF's,

Gibbs