Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

??? My first build what tools do I need??

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

??? My first build what tools do I need??

Old 08-09-2007, 05:45 PM
haasjj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??? My first build what tools do I need??

I need recommendations for tools and other building supply's for my first build. I think I've decided on a Sig Clipped Wing Cub 1/4 scale plane for my first kit. I will need some tools before I start building but I'm not sure which ones will best fit my needs. I will start a good build board, easy enough to find with the company I work for, then some block and contour sanders, a good set of small drill bits, hinge cutting tool. So what am I forgetting?? I do have some tools but most of the stuff I have is for building much larger stuff and I don't think I'll need for this, I can't see needing my table saw or miter saw for a plane build but who knows.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 PM
eniac

Default RE: ??? My first build what tools do I need??

A razor plane, or a nice standard plane and some skill with a sharpening stone is essential in my opinion. I also like to have a 2x4 thats about 2 feet long (you are building a rather large plane, you may want more length) for a fine finish sanding along the whole leading edge, or anything requiring a very consistent long sand. I also keep one about a foot long with sanding screens for less precision.

Clamps are essential as well. All sizes, shapes, everything from a bag of clothes pins, to a large spanning clamp. Throw some c-clamps in there as well, I have a few 2 inch ones that are in use quite often.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure others will jump in this.

eniac

edit:
I forgot to mention some angle-aluminum. I cut eight or ten chunks about 2 inches long and use them to reference a square with the building board. Handy when building a wing and wanting to know all the ribs are square, or at least pretty close, its probably not perfect. I think I have 3/4x3/4 inch, but I'd have to check. Its just something you can strap the clamp to, and weight it to the building board so its not too bad.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:19 PM
meaden

An exacto or razor blade, wood glue, and some sandpaper. Go fly.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:44 PM
haasjj

I have some clamps but kinda thught i might need more, I didn't think about a razor plane thats something I'll look for. I have planty of sand paper glue, but I know i need exacto blades I'm runing out of those. Thanks for the help if you think of anything else let me know.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:27 PM
SPLIT S

Larger power tools can have their place but you will be suprised just how much you can do with a few quality hand tools. A fine tooth razor saw can become your best friend. There isn't an end as to how useful that can be.

Dan
Old 08-09-2007, 07:29 PM
jeff1127

A good hobby saw, miter box, adjustable sanding jig like this.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXG876&P=0

That is a big box of wood you've chosen. Let us see some build pics
Old 08-09-2007, 08:58 PM
haasjj

I have a razor saw and miter box. the miter sander is a good idea.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good lighting, a comfortable chair and a radio/cd/mp3 player. Dremel is nice. Clear plasitc rules, at least 1 steel rule and one long rule (4'+). Possibly a soldering iron for linkages. I find painters tape handy, not just for paint masking, but for masking areas you want to protect while sanding or for general hanger rash protection. Later on, you might consider tools for hinging, depending on the type of hinges you use. Also things like covering iron, cg tool incident meter, throw guage. Save your fingers, get a tee pin tool to set and pull tee pins. If you keep building, there are tons more tools, but that's another story.

Scott
Old 08-09-2007, 10:38 PM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

I use ziploc bags filled with sand to hold things in place while the glue dries.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Bob56

Harbor Freight has a nice little table top drill press on sale right now. Regular $69.99 on sale for $39.99. Also, a small scroll saw or band saw is handy, but you can always go the cheaper route and just get a coping saw.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:12 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never forget the always usefull dremmel moto tool,I like the dremmel package with the wip end its alot like dentil tool and can get into tight places when needed.
wax paper is always handy,when gluing sheeting together you can stack your glued sheets and then weight them for drying and they won't stick together,also so you don't stick your work down to the plans.
weights-BB shot in a plastic bag, or light dumbell weights work great.
the 1/2to3lb range,when I am gluing sheeting together, I do several at a time,I lay them down on a flat surface with wax paper between the glued sheets and place a piece of wood or better yet a thick sheet of glass and place a few weights on top over night,you end up with great seams and strait wood when dry.
and a small vice the kind you can clamp to the work bench there always handy,the kind thats less than 20$ is the one I have and I have never had the need for any thing bigger.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:18 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Sig 1/4 scale Cub is a great airplane, but not the best choice for a first build. It is what's known as a "Builder's Kit"

For example, the frame pieces for the Fin and Stab are not die-cut - they are just printed on a piece of balsa and you'll need to cut them out yourself.

So a scroll saw would be very handy. If that's too pricey, at least get a coping saw to do most of the cutting with
Old 08-10-2007, 10:23 AM
haasjj

Thank you all for the great tips I have some of the tools mentioned but not all, and most can be used for more than just building model airplanes so I will be buying most. I think my dad might have a few also, he doesn't build model airplanes but is a wood worker and builds cabinets and such in his spare time.

MinnFlyer Thanks for the info on the plane, I was wondering about that kinda stuff but I could not find a set of instructions for that plane. I'm not a novice when it comes to building things, its just that I've never built a model airplane before. The things I've built in the past include things like vanities for my bathroom and cabinets for storage, nice stuff not the stuff I put up in my garage in a half a day, those are easy. I know my dad has a scroll saw I could borrow for a while but I might buy my own.

This might be my first and last build but I don't know, I'm doing this more as a learning experience than as a need for that particuliar plane, but I do like the Clipped wing Cub . I've had a few minor mishaps and needed to fix with out knowing how and now I want to learn the hard way. Knowing me and how much I like building it probably won't be my last but who knows.

Thanks again to all.

ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS OR COMMENTS ARE STILL WELCOME.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:26 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

haasjj,

A good metal straightedge is one tool that hasn't been mentioned. I have a 5-footer about 3/16" thick that I picked up at a quilting shop. The other thing I use a lot are weights to keep things flat on the board.
The quilting/sewing shop is also the best place to pick up t-pins. They're usually a lot lower in price than you find them at your LHS.

papermache
Old 08-10-2007, 12:29 PM
haasjj

ORIGINAL: papermache

haasjj,

A good metal straightedge is one tool that hasn't been mentioned. I have a 5-footer about 3/16" thick that I picked up at a quilting shop. The other thing I use a lot are weights to keep things flat on the board.
The quilting/sewing shop is also the best place to pick up t-pins. They're usually a lot lower in price than you find them at your LHS.

papermache

Thanks for the info and the PM's I checked out the site you mentioned and added to my fav list. I have several long straight edge rulers and other asorted metal straight edge pieces for keeping things straight.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

I know someone already mentioned clamps, but I happened to think of a specific type that has been very useful. The small size of plastic spring clamps(about 2" total length) found at most big chain home improvement stores. Much better than clothes pins IMO, as they have pivots on the jaws, which also open wider. These can usually be had at reasonable cost for a large quantity(think I was getting them 20 or 24 at a time for around 3.99) and are somewhat less likely to try to become part of your model if you over do the glue. Best thing I've ever found for doing sheeting on LE and TE, not to mention alot of other little things. I must have at least 50 of these.