Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

TF Corsair .60 1/8th Scale Build - with RCV 120SP 1/8th Scale Hamilton Hun

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

TF Corsair .60 1/8th Scale Build - with RCV 120SP 1/8th Scale Hamilton Hun

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 01:50 PM
snurckle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF Corsair .60 1/8th Scale Build - with RCV 120SP 1/8th Scale Hamilton Hun

First post....haven't built an airplane in about 8 years, and hadn't flown until recently for the same amount of time. Kinda like riding a bicycle. Hooked up with an instructor and solo'd after 2 flights.

Anyhow, here's my question(s).

I love the Corsair, it's an awesome looking aircraft, and flown by one of my own personal "heros" - Pappy Boyington. I was going to purchase the H9 ARF, but decided to build the TF Corsair instead. I'm looking at Pneumatic Retracts, including the tailwheel, and have read many a post here about concerns with weight. I could opt of a 1.20 4stroke, but I hate cleaning the oil off the side of my planes. (Hence one of the reasons I've opted to ask about the Zenoah 20ei.

Zenoah has now come out with the 20ei, which weighs considerably more than any comparable 4 or 2 stroke out there. It doesn't need an engine mount, since it mounts directly to the firewall. The added battery for the electronic ignition, and the amount which can be saved with a smaller fuel tank - 8oz vice 12oz, since the gas burns 50% more efficient. So, there are weight considerations.

I'm sure I'll have many questions, as I begin the build. I don't have the kit yet, but hopefully over the next couple of weeks I'll finally talk the wife in to allowing me to start/buy this project.

Does anybody have any suggestion for retracts (pneumatic) - more specifically the tailwheel, but suggestions on main would be beneficial as well. I will be doing struts since the fields here in Eastern NC are all grass. I'd like to be able to add doors, but may need to tackle that when I get it started.

Has anybody flown the Zenoah 20ei on the Corsair .60, or any comparably sized warbird? Will I need to cut the cowl? What type of power characteristics can I expect from the 20cc gas as opposed to a 90-1.20 sized 4 stroke.

Thanks - in advance
Old 04-30-2008, 03:16 PM
waterloged

Default RE: TF Corsair .60 w/ Zenoah 20ei

Hi I am a fan of Pappy Boyington also, I am a inactive Marine too. You'r never a ex Marine just inactive. I have the TF .60 corsair also and plan on building it to minick Pappy's bird. I probably won't get started on mine till this coming winter, I have about 5 other ones to build but i hope to build this one in show/flying perfection, thats why i'm waiting to build it. I have the dummy engine and interior kit for it but not the retracts yet. Please let me know what kind of retract's you decide to use. I hope to put a 3 bladed prop on it but we will have to see if that works out.
Jim S USMC inactive. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-30-2008, 06:38 PM
snurckle

Semper Fi! Still Active here. The scheme I am planning on doing is that of Pappy Boyington's Plane. Baa Baa Black Sheep.

It's been interesting reading up on the Corsair builds here. I think I'm going to have to opt for tail retract and doors on all wheels. Still haven't heard anything solid on the Zenoah 20cc, but the reviews claim it fits well on any 60-90 size airplane with a round cowl. Just wanted to make sure it was enough power for it. I'd really like to get a prop that looked scale, 3 blade and all. True - can't see the prop in the air, but on the ground - it'll be a sight to see.

Is there a lot of added weightt with paint/glass applications vice monokote? I've never glassed before, and monokote is a pain. Seems to me fiberglass would be the way to go if the added weight was minimal. Any thoughts?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:09 PM
djr1007

I also have one of these kits on the shelf along side a super decathlon, I'm having a hard time deciding which one is next on the table.
I picked up a brand new set of Century Jet retracts off the bay, intended especially for the Corsair. These struts look fantastic. I've seen lots of other brands of mechanical/air retracts, but these are very scale looking. I havn't decided on the tail wheel or engine yet.
It would just not be right to put a 2 stroke in this plane. I'm thinking about trying one of new evo gas engines. Much lighter & more power than the zen, just way more expensive. Perhaps I can get our "economy stimulas" check away from the wife.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:38 PM
waterloged

Hi, I know there is extra weight with fiberglass but i don't know how much. Some one else can probably tell us that, I hope to do the full retracts also. Where are you active at ? what unit ? i was 3/9 & 2/9 back in the 70's (i know old style)we were taking all the people out of viet nam.
have a good day & good luck on your build please post pictures when you do it.
Semper Fi Jim S[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-01-2008, 06:08 PM
flyX

I bought TF .60 zero thats was dope or glass and painted. Not sure...there's plenty of paint on it.
Full retracts and struts I don't belive a .60 2 stroke is going to fly it.
Plenty of room for a gas conversion, plenty of room in the fusealge.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:10 PM
snurckle

ORIGINAL: waterloged

Hi, I know there is extra weight with fiberglass but i don't know how much. Some one else can probably tell us that, I hope to do the full retracts also. Where are you active at ? what unit ? i was 3/9 & 2/9 back in the 70's (i know old style)we were taking all the people out of viet nam.
have a good day & good luck on your build please post pictures when you do it.
Semper Fi Jim S[sm=thumbup.gif]
MCAS Cherry Point - Air Winger with MALS-14.

I will definately post pics as I'm building. I spent all day today cleaning out the garage, and will probably build a table/work bench for the build next weekend, depending on the weather this weekend. If it's ugly, I'll build the 'work bench' this weekend. Can't waste good weather days in the garage, when there's time to fly my Alpha 60. (Converting it to a taildragger, and getting rid of the dehidral wings soon enough)

The Century Jet retracts look good too, and I'm not 100% sure I'll settle for the 20cc Zenoah. I'll have to look in to the evolution gas engines. I may wait until the last minute to decide on the engine. I've also considered building a 1/5th scale, just so I can use the soloprop, and get a more scale appearance.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:11 PM
mesaflyer

snurkle,
I am in the middle of building the Top Flight Sea Fury 60. I am going to glass mine with the poly method, but a few months away from that. I was originally planning on the Zenoha 20 as well, but have been reading a lot of posts on the gas engine forum, and now have decided on the Brillelli 26. I know, WAY too much motor, but seemed like a better set up to me. Anyway, my son wants me to build a Corasir for his next plane. If you do a build thread, I will follow along closely. I really love that plane as well, and want to do the 1/5 scale some day. Good luck on your build, and looking forward to some pictures.
Pete
Old 05-08-2008, 01:44 PM
JIMARRINGTON

I have a Zenoah G20 on a Great Planes Tiger Moth and love it. The airplane was originally flown with a 120 4 stroke. Magnum I think. I got the plane used. With the 120, the last owner had to add tail weight to get it to balance. Also had onboard glow so it already had an extra battery pack. I swapped it out for a ST G90 2 stroke at first and kept the onboard glow. It flew it fine with plenty of power but was messy. I have the TF FW 190 kit on the shelf and had been curious about gas so I bought the G20 with the TF kit in mind. Mounted it on the Tiger Moth to see how it would do. Took out the onboard glow and used the battery for the ignition. Thought it would need more weight in the back with the G20 so I put a smaller fuel tank in it. Moved the tank back and moved the receiver battery back. Went flying. Has more than enough power now. More than with the ST G90. But low and behold, the model came out tail heavy. So had to move the fuel tank and the rx battery back to their original positions. Flies great now. Most of the time at 1/2 throttle. No mess to clean up. Reliable starting and running. Lower idle. And Most Importantly, except for a smaller fuel tank, I made no concessions for weight. As a matter of fact, it is lighter without the 120 4 stroke because I can use a smaller tank. Ten onces will fly for 15 to 20 minutes. So you may find that you may not need to worry about weight too much with the G20. I say go for it. If you have more questions about it, go to the product review here for the Hanger 9 60 size Hellcat. They used the G20 for the review airplane. I plan to use mine in the Dora when I get around to building it.

Jim
Old 05-08-2008, 02:20 PM
mesaflyer

JIMARRINGTON,
Not trying to hijack *****kes thread, but I do have a question about the Zenoha 20. I have read a few posts, and it seems that the ignition on the Zenoha 20 is a little power hungry. What are you using for a battery and how long does it last? When I e-mailed Scott at Brillelli about using his 26 on a 60 size warbird, he "steered" me towards the Zenoha, but warned me about using too small of a battery.
Thanks,
Pete
Old 05-08-2008, 02:36 PM
JIMARRINGTON

I am using a 2100 mah 4.8v rx NiMh battery. It usually lasts 3 to 4 flights depending on the time. With a peek charger, it can be topped back off again in 30-40 minutes. Which is plenty quick enough for me in between flights. I always check my batteries before flying so I don't get caught short. So I guess it is a little power hungry but it should not be a problem if you take your charger to the field with you. Also keep in mind that my battery is new and so far I haven't pushed it to see how long it will last.

Jim
Old 05-08-2008, 03:04 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Sea Furry is suppose to require a lot of lead in the nose to get it to balance, so your Brillelli 26 will probably work just fine. You could always get something like the CRRC 26cc as it has less power but still has the weight.

The Sea Furry is 2lbs heavier and has 108 more inches of wing area then my top flite mustang, I don't think you can put them both in the 60 size class. Plus my mustang balanced perfectly with and 91FS. The Furry requires the power and weight of at least an 120 four stroke glow.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:47 PM
snurckle

I was going to put the Zenoah 20cc in it, but may have changed my mind. I still plan to go with it in a plane, but not the Corsair. I have chosen the RCV120 SP, with the Hamilton Hub for the 1/8th scale Corsair. The Z20cc will probably go in a H9 - Spitfire, at some point.

But, by all means, feel free to discuss anything related to the Zenoah 20ei here.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:18 PM
hrrcflyer

Snurckle,

IMHO, The G20 wouldn't be a suitable match for the Spitfire because the cowl is too narrow, like the P51. A better candidate for the G20 would be the Hangar 9 60 size Hellcat. Even though the motor is larger, it should easily fit in the Hellcat cowl. As far as power goes, a friend at the field where I fly just bought out his new Hellcat with a Saito 100 4S in it and the motor had more than enough power for the plane. That being said, there is quite a difference in weight between the Saito 100 and the G20, so you need to watch your ballance as well as your wing loading.

BTW, I love the Corsair too. I have a Top Flight Gold Edition Corsair 60 kit as well, but every time I pull the kit out to start building it, I remember what a PITA it's going to be to build the wing so I just put it back away and pull out something else. I may even sell the kit.

Good luck with whichever plane you decide to build.

Thanks to all of you for your service to our country!!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:10 PM
mesaflyer

JIMARRINGTON,
Thanks for the info on your battery. I think if I build the Corsair 60, I will for sure put the Z20 in it. I like the good gas milage! I looked into the CH ignition as a replacement, but $95.00! I'll just use a bigger battery until I HAVE to replace it.

snurckle,
Just noticed that I was spelling"snurkle" wrong. Sorry about that. Well, was kinda looking forward to the Z20 in the Corsair build, but the RCV with the Hamilton Hub sounds like a good choice too. I will still check out your build thread. I think I will need all the info I can get on the Corsair.

jsffk464,
Yea, I did a little research. From what I have read, guys have been putting 43-48 oz (engine and lead combined) in the nose of the Sea Fury, with a total weight of about 12 lbs. Might need that extra HP. I think I will be allright with the 26.

hrrcflyer,
I know what you mean about that wing.[X(] I was seriously considering the H-9 for my son, but I am starting to like building kits. Must be something wrong with me!

snurckle,
I won't discuss the Sea Fury on here anymore. I started a thread awhile back in the warbirds section that I need to get back to. This is your baby, but I am really trying to learn all I can about the smaller gas engines before I buy one.
Pete
Old 05-09-2008, 11:00 AM
hrrcflyer

mesaflyer,

I'm with you. I am leaning more and more to building kits myself. Even though ARF quality has improved greatly in the past few years, I would still much rather fly planes I built myself. That way, if the inevitable happens, I'll know how to fix it.

Good luck with your plane choice. If you decide to build a kit and you run into a problem, post your questions, here. There are some VERY knowledgable people here on RCU that will be more than happy to assist you with any question you have. Better yet, start a build thread and include alot of pictures. That way we can all follow along on your progress!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 AM
greengoose

Hello all of you corsair fans out there, I also am a corsair fanatic and very very proud to say that I am a friend of a friend of a friend of the late and great Pappy Boyington..Keep flying those corsairs and the nickname the enemy gave them which is "Whistling Death"......