Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building muse

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building muse

Old 07-01-2008, 01:50 AM
horseshoejack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building muse

This started off as a standard reply to a"Why do you I like the Sig 1/4 scale kit?" thread and grew legs so I put it up on its own.. Bear with me.
Hello. After about a 6 month lay off on my 1/4 scale Sig Cub build I'm back. The half built fuse sat looking at me until the ICG just got to much and I got back to work. This plane is my first legit build and now I know why its worth taking the time to do something right. From a beginners standpoint, yeah, I probably bit off a little much but not so much that this has been frustrating in the least. Besides, when you don't know any different, who cares. So why the Sig? Because a guy in my club had it for sale with wheels and tires for $100, I like big in general and yellow Cubs unreasonably, and I wanted to do something over the winter. Honest. Their kit has great plans and guidebook with directions written like the guy next door wrote them. Big enough for a ham-hander like me to get around. The sticks and parts that you are instructed to find in the box are actually IN the box and easily identifiable. It smells good and makes a good "guy" mess my in build room. When you follow the guides and look-outs, by God, it actually looks like the next picture. You learn how to use your tools, glue, sand and shape properly. You know, the stuff you're supposed to be able to do and get better at. When I'm stuck or curious, these posts have helped or not but always are great to cruise thru and are probably responsible for more extended build completions as anything. This here Cub has sort of taken on a life of its own. "How's the Cub comin' Jack?" is a question I hear all the time. Not the "new plane", the "Cub". And nobody really cares when its gonna get done. I know this isn't technical or maybe even off topic, but I'm back at my table and figured you guys would get it.
Jack
Old 07-01-2008, 06:59 AM
yel914

Default RE: Building muse

Jack, When I found myself sneaking down to the basement to work on my Sig Citabria at 3 in the morning I knew I had a problem. I think I get it!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:20 AM
WacoNut

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jack,
As you will see in my Avatar the Cub is a nice plane. I have a build thread on here covering the entire build that you may find helpful. I really enjoyed the build and it is a great flying plane. Enjoy!!!
Anthony
Old 07-01-2008, 07:29 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

I'd wager every builder on here "gets it".

That's why, as StickBuilder would say, our airplanes have souls.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Man I have an L-4 scratch build that I have been working on and off for a few years now. No telling how man hours I put in to make it have a s close as I can to true scale outline. I have worked on and off the project for a couple years. I have just taken a few months away from it and I’m about ready to pick it back up to finish it up. I can’t tell you how many times I have gone back to change the structure on my l-4 as I build it. I love scale but mostly I love to build. You build a plane and to me you have more pride in it knowing what you put into the project. In the past I attend a demo show at a local club. Team ______ came in to fly it. One guy was flying the wings off an arf and doing it on the deck. Everyone (general public) was just amazed at it. Those of us in the back ground were talking how nice it would be to be able to fly like that knowing if you put it in you could walk in to work the next week and pull a new one from the shelf. Not wanting to get flamed on this, but anyone can walk in and grab an ARF work a few ours and go fly. It takes a true diehard modeler to build one and fly it.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Oly

yel914,

I do that too! The house is quiet, no distractions. I bet I do 1/4 of my building between 3 AM and 6AM. Then the house wakes up and the pandemonium starts for the day.

Oly
Old 07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oly , I'll bet the sound of a bandsaw between 3 and 6 A.M sets off more than pandemonium!!!
Been there ,done that , it'll happen again.