Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Plans and Laminating

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Plans and Laminating

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Supa Koopa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plans and Laminating

Just got my 4* 60 and since this is my first kit build I thought I would ask a quick question. I know you are supposed to protect your plans to stop them getting damaged. So my question, is it a good idea to get them laminated the same way you would a poster. Would this cause any problems? If it is a good idea should I get them laminated complete or cut in to sections and then laminated? It will not cost me much so cost is not an issue. I just thought it would keep them protected and since they have to go through a roller system it would help to flatten them as well.

Any ideas are most welcome.

Craig.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:57 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Plans and Laminating

If you can get it done cheaply then it is a great way to protect your plans. Might be a little over the top when you are done, unless you are going to keep the plans for ever. I like using wax paper myself. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supa, I just use old fassion wax paper over the plans. Where you run into trouble is with to much CA and it soaks teh paper. Also if it bleads down a pin, you will have trouble. The good news with the 4*60 is that you can build them on a flat board with the plans on the wall. Everything is interlocked together and keeping parts square, or keeping the shims under the ribs in the right places can be done without the plan under the parts. One exception is the horzontal and vertical stabs. You can get them out of whack if you are not careful.

I would be worried though of glueing the plane to your bench, so a covering is a good thing,. Whit I've found that works best for plan covering is the plastic back from Monokote. If I cover a wing and I can get one long piece of it, at least as wide as the cord of the wing, it make a great protection

As for laminating the plans, I would worry that they would stretch or distort them. You best bet would be to have them coppied at a blueprint printers and make sure they hold a 100% size. Work on the copy and keep the orginals for later. I'm thinking about scratch building another 4*60 as I've crashed two of them now and I would like another to fly.

Don.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Roguedog

I have all my plans scanned into tif files. Look around for a graphics company that produces copies of blueprints or architectual plans. I have a place close by me that will scan up to 8 plans 36" wide by 84" long for $20 plus $10 to copy to a USB drive. Then I use a wide carriage (16") dot matrix printer, I got off ebay, to print out the sections I need. This way I don't have to ever use the original plans except for reference.

Bryan

Oh ya, almost forgot, if for some reason I need a new copy I can take the tif files back to the copier company and have them print out a new copy. Another cool thing is that I can use the digital files to change or modify the plans.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just cover my plans with Glad plastic cling wrap. Simple and cheap. Used it on everything from small Peck-Polymers models to 60-sized sport planes so far with good results. One roll lasts a long time.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:20 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with not working of the original plans. I get my plans copied and work off of those. As for covering them, I have found that the clear plastic sheeting sold in paint departments that is used for drop cloths works really well for me. It's easy to see through and almost nothing sticks to it. Plus, on roll will last for many many many kits!!

Ken
Old 07-02-2008, 02:28 PM
_Chuck_

I would assume Kinkos or something like that would make copies (electronic or paper). I guess I'll have to check it out.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:20 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes. Kinkos, Office Depot, Staples can do it. But....... Make sure you double check that they plans are the same before you leave the store. Sometimes their copiers are off and the copies will come out a different size than the originals. If they don't match they should be able to adjust the copiers to until they do. But don't let them tell you that you have to pay for the rejected copies. If they try to, head for the door. If you can find one go to place that can reproduce blueprints. Those machines are usually spot on accurate.

Ken
Old 07-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have always used wax paper. As A kid they made real wax paper with real wax on it. I could run A finger nail across it and wax would peel off in A curle.
After the advent of the micro wave things changed and I'm not sure what is on wax paper but I sure can't find any wax on it.
It's what I still use but it isn't the good old fashion wax paper any more.
On A kit I just build right over the kit plans, I keep them or give them to the customer in case of A crash, minor crash, I myself don't do major repairs, I just build another plane, I hate fixing things.
I have been using Kinko's for years now. I buy A set of plans and get two copies made at 100%. I double check Kinko's setting with the originals. I put away the originals, cut up one set to cut my kit with and build over the second set.
I have only not done it that way once, guess who crashed there favorite plane and doesn't have any plans for it now.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Andrewmc

When I get a set of plans I always make a copy and laminate the original. I work off the print and cut as required but the laminated copy protects the main plans and is availabe for future prints, rebuilds etc.

The laminating also helps prevent the blueprinting from fading over time.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Supa Koopa

Well I've had them laminated and I must say they look really good. Almost too good to use, but I will have to force myself. Unfortunately no where round here has a copier big enough to copy them in one go. I do think they will be protected enough, I just can't wait to start building now.

Craig.