Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

topflite elder 40 build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

topflite elder 40 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Don41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: topflite elder 40 build

Thanks. For the moment I have put my Elder on hold but I had the wheels in stock and they appeared to be a little too big. However they look fine on your finished plane so I guess I'll keep them.

Might just be me but that blasted machine gun was harder to assemble than the plane itself (:-).

Regards

ORIGINAL: Don41

Are those the TopFlite wire wheels?

Regards

ORIGINAL: NoelRue

Hi all, I have been watching these builds progress with interest as I have been building my own Elder which I finally finished today (except for the vickers machine gun that Iam still wating for). Thought I would post some pics of the final product. Let me know what you think.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 PM
NoelRue

I thought the same so bought the Williams Brother wheels but didnt like the look - the Top Flite wire wheels fit in perfectly , Iam glad I changed. Iam still waiting for the machine gun - by the sounds of it I'm in for some fun!
Old 06-18-2009, 04:07 AM
thibor

Hey,

After weeks of downtime I'm back on the Elder and feel like finishing it.

My gun and pilot still hasn't arrived from my LHS.  I got tired off waiting and ordered with a HS over the border in the Netherlands.  They had it in stock and I'm now waiting on my postorder to arrive.

I covered the stab, fin and elevators and started painting the inside off the cowl.  Hope to have the fuse covered and painted after the weekend.  Filling and sanding the fuse is nearly done.

Hope to have some pictures next time.

Phil

Old 06-18-2009, 08:00 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello NoelRue

I saw your photos on the previous page - very nice model.

Could you please tell me what you used for the finish covering and for the metal?It appears to be a film but I was wondering what type? Ihave a similar project that I've been poking away at for a couple of years and need to use a metallized covering on my own cowl.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 06-21-2009, 04:01 AM
NoelRue

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the comment. The covering I used was Monokote - the metal finish is their Chrome finish, really nice to work with.

Good luck with your build

Regards

Noel
Old 06-26-2009, 06:19 AM
thibor

Hey,

Over the weekend I had the tail painted. Used to colors and sanded to give it a used look...
Then I topped it with a flat clear, this however darkend my work of art so the shades in the color don't come out as good anymore... well as this is my learning plane before the 1/4 Pup, lesson learned!

Then I wanted to attach the LG, but 2 screws broke... I had to drill them out and replaced all screw holes with blind nuts.

Did some more filling and sanding and now I only have to shape the wingsaddle with some epoxy/micro-balloon mix. Then i'm ready for covering the fuse.
Hope to see some progress this weekend.

Phil
Old 06-29-2009, 02:56 AM
thibor

Hey,

Didn't get to do that much over the weekend... Only shaped the wingsaddle. The epoxy/micro-balloon mix works pretty easy. I mixed it till it could peak stand and brought it on to the wingsaddle. Then I wrapped the wing with masking film (used for painting decals) and bolted the wing firmly down. Let cure overnight, tab the wing off and cut or sand the excess flush with the fuse.
This is verry easy and adds to the finished look.

Phil
Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 PM
hatnikman3

Hi Phil,

Would love to see some pics if you get a chance. I'm almost ready to "rough" balance mine laterally and longtitudely before some final sanding and covering. I went with pull/pull cables (instead of pushrods) on all controls including ailerons (w/2 mini servos). Looks pretty cool going through open section in rear. If I can figure out the damn camera, Ill post a pic. Anyone find an easy place to purchase the elastic chord flying wires and what size much appreciated. Keep at it and good luck, Nick
Old 07-06-2009, 04:23 AM
thibor

Hey,

Did some work over the weekend, the fuse is almost fully covered and the stabilo is glued in place. The LG and the skid are in place. Those wire wheels look real good

When alining the stab to the wing I noticed I had a little bend in the fuse, about 1/16 ". I'm not to concerned about it.

This weekend my club had a fly-inn and I lost my 4*60 during demonstration caused by battery faillure of the Tx. After a low pass, I wanted to make half a roll to go to inverted low pass. During the turn I lost controle of aileron and elevator. Tried to knife-edge out, but was to low to the ground and it hit hard, too hard for repair. This was my first crash and it sucks! I will sure mis that plane, had it for 5 or 6 years and have always loved the way she flew - RIP.

Hatnikman3, I already covered the top of the fuse, so the epoxy/micro-balloon thing on the wingsaddle is no longer visible. And sure I forgot to take pictures before...
I got my elastic flying wires at a women's hobby shop and is normally used for stretchable sleeve. It's about 1/16 ".

Phil
Old 08-17-2009, 09:00 PM
hatnikman3

Anyone else finish your ELDER yet. Lets see em!!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:53 AM
thibor

Hey,

I didn't do anything since my last reply...

Have been working hard in my baby-room, expected nov. 8. That is now almost finished, so I hope to be back on the elder soon.

Phil
Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 PM
hatnikman3

I hear that Phil!!! You better get it done before Nov 8th because you Won't have ANY time for a while thereafter, hehe! My youngest is 3 1/2 and I'm just able to get back to work on my birds a bit. Best wishes and congrats! Nick P.S. Nice historical city your in over there!
Old 08-26-2009, 02:09 AM
thibor

Hey Nick,

Yes I know, time will be limited soon

Allready went back to the building board and cleaned the dust... Ready to start covering again.
Hope to finish it before the end of september.

Phil
Old 08-31-2009, 04:48 AM
thibor

I assembled my 1/6 gun from Williams Brothers, worked on it for about 2 houres. It is now clean black, doesn't look right. So I'm gonna paint some gun metal to it to give it a used look. When finished, I will post a pic.

Phil
Old 09-04-2009, 02:02 AM
thibor

Hey,

This tread has really slowed down...

Yesterday I finished covering the fuse and glued the fin in place.
This weekend I hope to hinge the elevator and rudder. The elevator is already covered, but not yet the rudder.

After that it's on to the wing.

Phil
Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could we get some photos????

Bob
Old 10-14-2009, 01:42 PM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

hey guys,been a long summer for me! had to put everything on hold for work issues but everything is back to normal for me now. time to get back on my elder. im sure everyone has finished their build and i would love to see some pics!! mark...
Old 10-15-2009, 03:15 AM
thibor

hey Mark,

Glad to hear you're back at the Elder.

I too was busy on other projects, since my last post I only hinged the elevators.
My baby is expected in 3 weeks and I'm still working on my house.
But hope to get back at the Elder in a few months...
Old 10-15-2009, 10:11 AM
mistermnkim

hey phill great news!! keep me posted!!
Old 10-18-2009, 12:48 AM
mistermnkim

ok guys started back today on the elder. i have the wing tips finished now and need to only do a few things more before its finished. also we ordered my some a rc car from tower tonight sooo i sneaked in a set of wire wheels for the elder, they were on eternal backorder last year!!!! its been months since i worked on her and i must say i excited to get going again. plus my wife says i need to finish a few things before i get new projects!!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:38 PM
mistermnkim

well i finished the final details on the wing started covering tonight!! the small trim pieces is all i started on. i hope to have the wing completed by next weekend? takes me alot of time to cover, slow and easy!! lol i hope to post new pics soon!!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 AM
thibor

Hey Mark,

The wing is my next step too, still have to fill and final sand. Then its onto the covering.
I'm not gonna be able to work on it for a while, so good luck with yours, keep us posted and take lots of pictures

Phil
Old 10-29-2009, 01:25 PM
gary43

Just wondered to everyone that may still be following this thread...what type on paint or stain did you use on the open structure of this build?  Wondering about fuelproof paints and what exactly to use on mine.  Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Intruder38

I used ModelMaster enamel and expect to use Nelsons semi-gloss clear as the top coat. After I ordered the Nelsons, I read that Nelsons paint adheres well only to Nelsons paints and primers. I do hope that is not the case, but finishing my Elder is my winter project, I'll know the answer by spring.

By the way, I am puzzling over the best way to do the rigging in the rear fuselage. What to use and how to attach. At the moment I am leaning toward 1/32 aluminum rod, but I'm concerned about interference with radio reception. Any thoughts?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:19 PM
AviationNut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gary43

Just wondered to everyone that may still be following this thread...what type on paint or stain did you use on the open structure of this build? Wondering about fuelproof paints and what exactly to use on mine. Thanks in advance for any advice.
I used Rustoleum flat brown spray paint. Per my tests, it's fuel proof to 15% nitro.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.