Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Learjet .40 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Learjet .40 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 05:42 PM
hawkpilot
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Learjet .40 Build

Thanks, it is going to resemble the pic that is under the fuse in the second pic, it is the plane that you posted a pic of. I am using monokote, and I can tell that I was a little rusty at it (it has been a while since I have covered), and I bought a new iron and I believe that I had it too hot. But now I am back in the groove.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:02 AM
rogue-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I have been following this build so it motivated me into finding one of these kits. I went to a swap meet yesterday and got one for 80.00. It came with the spinner,tank, and wheels. Can't wait to get started on her.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:18 AM
hawkpilot

ORIGINAL: rogue-RCU

I have been following this build so it motivated me into finding one of these kits. I went to a swap meet yesterday and got one for 80.00. It came with the spinner,tank, and wheels. Can't wait to get started on her.

Wow!!! That is a good deal!! You were lucky to have found the spinner. I ended up just getting a 2.25" regular spinner.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah man, you got yourself a great deal there....So you see people, no need to spend massive amount of money on theses kits or even built up models as deals do come across and you just need patience and time to find them...

Pat, What is that rectangular access hole under right engine pylon, i have not seen that before on any of these LJs...

As for spinner they have been also discontinued for few years now but if you can get long pointed jet type, i bet that would work also. Then all you have to do is to start the motor with "chicken stick" as electric starter wont be useful unless you flip the rubber piece but then after few starts you tip of spinner will get melted a bit if it's plastic spinner....
Old 02-22-2009, 01:05 PM
vupilot

Yes great deal. A lot of these kits were made but they are pretty difficult to find now. I remember seeing these in the hobby shops as a kid and wanting one, now I've got one and just need to FINISH it.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:46 PM
hawkpilot

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Yeah man, you got yourself a great deal there....So you see people, no need to spend massive amount of money on theses kits or even built up models as deals do come across and you just need patience and time to find them...

Pat, What is that rectangular access hole under right engine pylon, i have not seen that before on any of these LJs...

As for spinner they have been also discontinued for few years now but if you can get long pointed jet type, i bet that would work also. Then all you have to do is to start the motor with "chicken stick" as electric starter wont be useful unless you flip the rubber piece but then after few starts you tip of spinner will get melted a bit if it's plastic spinner....

Sammy, The access hole is for my switch/charge jack. I put it under the pylon to sort of hide it. Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62344.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1142284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70501.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1142285  
Old 02-22-2009, 06:16 PM
hawkpilot

Some more progress made this weekend. It was a chore to get the engine in, I did not want a huge hole in the cowl, so I had to take the head off to get the cowl on. I have replaced alot of the phillips head hardware as they strip very easy, they were replaced with socket head screws. The fuse is almost complete, I still need to hook up the control linkage, install a reciever box, finish the nacelles and route wires. The fuel system is ready, engine installed, and the covering is complete. The next project is to finish building the wheel wells in the wing, sand it, cover it, and paint the tip tanks to match the fuse. The maiden flight is scheduled for March 6th, providing there is not alot of wind, and it is a little warmer.

Name:	Sq47240.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1142291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34617.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1142292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83753.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1142293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26525.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1142294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93689.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1142295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97364.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1142296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73996.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1142297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40520.jpg
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1142298  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58350.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1142299   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45427.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1142300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59396.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1142301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52645.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1142302  
Old 02-22-2009, 06:31 PM
hawkpilot

Tank pic.

Name:	Db86565.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1142321  
Old 02-22-2009, 10:17 PM
vupilot

Wow, wanna come finish mine up??? Seriously though do you have a picture of the aft portion of the engine pylon you could post? What did you use to glue the plastic engine nacelles together, they sure are flimsy. I'm so far away from covering its not even funny, it sure is cool to see yours so far along. Why the March 6 flying date? I think Im gonna taxi mine around all summer, after all this work Ill be too scared to fly it.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:11 AM
SpeedBoy

Looks good hawkpilot .

Just one question , does the engine has some up degrees ??? or its just the effect of the pics ???
Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 AM
rogue-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

The bird is looking great. Outstanding job.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
vupilot

I cut and fit the lower front fuse balsa block today. Still need to final sand it to shape. Glad that part is over, I put it off for a LONG time. Also, I cut out the TE pieces for the engine pylons from the left over rudder stock and sanded the rear of the fuselage to shape with the TE of the rudder nicely.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
hawkpilot

ORIGINAL: vupilot

Wow, wanna come finish mine up???

Sure !!! Send one of your work planes to pick me up!! If you lived closer I would surely help you out with it if needed.

Seriously though do you have a picture of the aft portion of the engine pylon you could post?

Chris, here are a few pics. I dont have any close-ups pre-covering. Hope they help. They were not too bad to make, but it would have helped if they would have noted in the beginning to save the leftover rudder, luckily I have a habit of saving all of my scraps.

What did you use to glue the plastic engine nacelles together, they sure are flimsy.

I use Plastruct Bondene. Ambroid Proweld will work also, they are both plastic "welders". I use them for all styrene assembly.

I'm so far away from covering its not even funny, it sure is cool to see yours so far along. Why the March 6 flying date? I think Im gonna taxi mine around all summer, after all this work Ill be too scared to fly it.

I meant to say March 7th, I should have the LJ ready by that weekend, and it is the next free weekend I wil have to spend time at the field, I also am a little nervous to fly mine as it is turning out prettier than I expected.

Name:	Jh17101.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1143045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd95006.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1143046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28831.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1143047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15153.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1143048  
Old 02-23-2009, 01:07 PM
hawkpilot

ORIGINAL: SpeedBoy

Looks good hawkpilot .

Just one question , does the engine has some up degrees ??? or its just the effect of the pics ???

Are you the one with the 170mph patriot? I want one of those!!! To answer your question, there is no upthrust, it is an optical illusion. I had to look at this myself to make sure, it is the way that the nose slopes in that photo angle that makes it look like that.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:10 PM
hawkpilot

The bird is looking great. Outstanding job.

Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Props4ever

Pat,

Congrats man, you did very very nice job on the covering, that scheme isn't the easy one to tackle will all those wrap around the fuselage curves!. How is the wing, is there going to be curves multi colored stripes of just solid dark blue...

Old 02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
hawkpilot

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Pat,

Congrats man, you did very very nice job on the covering, that scheme isn't the easy one to tackle will all those wrap around the fuselage curves!. How is the wing, is there going to be curves multi colored stripes of just solid dark blue...

Thanks Sam!! The wing will be solid blue, but the tip tanks will match the fuse. I was kicking around some ideas for the wing, but only one has stuck with me and that was to do some 1/2" blue checkered ultracote in a wavy pattern at the tips, or maybe in the mid of each wing.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:12 PM
SpeedBoy

ORIGINAL: hawkpilot

Looks good hawkpilot .

Are you the one with the 170mph patriot? I want one of those!!! To answer your question, there is no upthrust, it is an optical illusion. I had to look at this myself to make sure, it is the way that the nose slopes in that photo angle that makes it look like that.

Hehe yes I'am . It seems that many people saw that thread .

Good to know that there's not upthrust on your beauty bird .Cutting curves on Monokote its not easy (at least to me ) and you make it to see very simple , that has much credit , congratulations for the clean job hawkpilot. If she flys how she looks (thing that I dont doubt )she will fly very very very nice . Please share with us the report of the maiden .

Thanks hawpilot .

Old 02-23-2009, 02:31 PM
hawkpilot

Looks good hawkpilot .

Hehe yes I'am . It seems that many people saw that thread .

Good to know that there's not upthrust on your beauty bird .Cutting curves on Monokote its not easy (at least to me ) and you make it to see very simple , that has much credit , congratulations for the clean job hawkpilot. If she flys how she looks (thing that I dont doubt )she will fly very very very nice . Please share with us the report of the maiden .

Thanks hawpilot .

Speedboy, Thanks for the kind words. From the looks of your patriot you are also pretty good at covering. I will have to look that thread up again. I would like to set one up like yours, that thing is AWESOME!! I tried to set one up like it on the simulator but had no luck.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:17 AM
SpeedBoy

Speedboy, Thanks for the kind words. From the looks of your patriot you are also pretty good at covering. I will have to look that thread up again. I would like to set one up like yours, that thing is AWESOME!! I tried to set one up like it on the simulator but had no luck.
Just remember ..... stick with Rossi .

hawkpilot , thanks for your thoughts my friend .
Old 02-24-2009, 10:45 AM
vupilot

Wow, I just looked up the youtube video of your 271 kmh flight. Holy cow that patriot is fast. I second hawkpilot in saying that is one very nicely covered patriot.

I was in Monterrey less than a year ago for work, we liked going to Papa Bills there.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:40 PM
SpeedBoy

ORIGINAL: vupilot

Wow, I just looked up the youtube video of your 271 kmh flight. Holy cow that patriot is fast. I second hawkpilot in saying that is one very nicely covered patriot.

I was in Monterrey less than a year ago for work, we liked going to Papa Bills there.
vupilot , thanks for the comments and for watch the video .

From what I see , you are so good at building , your Learjet looks so nice , I can't wait to see it covered .

Papa Bills huh !! its a nice place there ... girls , beer and music what more can we ask .

If you wish the next time you come here ( if si weekend ) contact me some days before by MP and we can go to the field to have some fun ( if you have time of course )
Old 02-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Oemfod
My Feedback: (1)

Tank pic.
Looks like the black tiestrip cuts the green fueltube off???

Wow for the covering job... its awesome... Thumbs up for that
Old 02-25-2009, 01:44 PM
vupilot

Speedboy,

Thanks for the offer but our company project is finished there so I dont think I will get down there again anytime soon. Looks like you have a nice place to fly there.

The locals treated us well, Id visit again.

I found a Learjet 40 hanging from a ceiling at a hobby shop I visited today, Ill post the pictures when i get on my home computer tonight.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:47 PM
hawkpilot

ORIGINAL: Oemfod

Tank pic.
Looks like the black tiestrip cuts the green fueltube off???

It does have a little pressure on it, but it still flows.....I may switch it to a different setup, I have a few more velcro straps.

Wow for the covering job... its awesome... Thumbs up for that

Thanks!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.