Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Build Board

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Build Board

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Warnberg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build Board

What are you using for a build board? If any at all? I was thinking a soft wood board would work fine..... ply definitely doesn't...

What are you covering your plans with? Is it really CA resistant and can you see the plans clearly?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Build Board

people are using ceiling tiles, i couldn't find one where i live so i bought the balsa board.
we cover the plans with wax paper.

i'm using this one: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVZ63&P=7
there is also 48" which i would buy now for 60 size airplanes.
in any case the board should be FLAT otherwise the airplane comes out crooked.

Alex
Old 12-16-2008, 08:23 AM
mboland

I was lucky enough to score an 8' x 4' laminated bench top from a chippy mate.
It is covered with cork tiles which is ideal for pinning and cutting on.

I cover plans with clear plastic cling wrap which IS CA proof.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:57 AM
dignlivn

I use a interior door and 1/2 inch foam insulation board.
Then cover the plans with wax paper. Very cheap, less than
$30.

Bob
Old 12-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Ram Jet

I'm sticking to acoustic ceiling tiles/sheets. I think that if I build bigger planes I may have to consider options or just place two ceiling tile together. I have tried Styrofoam/urethane insulation sheets but I think the pins hold in the ceiling tile better.

Bill
Old 12-16-2008, 12:14 PM
qldviking

when I built my last build table (12x4) I used 1" ply with 2 layers of 3/8" thick cork flooring tiles, admittedly I build giant scale mainly, but the cork is solid enough to pin down bendy bits with out movement if the pins are pushed down deep. I had the top put through a big drum sander at a joinery shop to get a perfectly even and straight surface and then coated in urethane. Admittedly I rarely used ca glues, and a good waxing before construction made sure that even epoxy glues didnt stick. For when I was building on top of plans I used that self sticking industrial clear plastic wrap, it sticks to glossy surfaces well, but peels easily of paper without any damage.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:41 PM
RCPAUL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Google homasote. It is a pressed paper board that comes in a 4x8 sheet about 1/2 inch thick. Ideal for building on but not easy to find. The site has locations.

Paul
Old 12-16-2008, 02:53 PM
G.Barber

I have used 1/2" sheet-rock. It's a little hard to push pins into, but it holds great, and is resistant to warping. I also use wax paper over plans, but sometimes it gets stuck to the balsa. perhaps I am a little too liberal with my ca application, but it peels off easy enough.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Clay Walters

I've used the ceilng tiles with good results although they don't hold the pins tight for long. Also purchased a roll of that Great Planes plans protector stuff. It works but I thought it was going to be some sort of super plastic that would laminate to the plans to protect them permanently. Nope, just thin plastic sheet not much different than some paintshop ground cloths I've seen. Before that I used wax paper.

Clay
Old 12-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I glued two 12 inch wideX 3/4 inch thick soft pine together so I had a 6 foot long by 24 inches wide board then added several cross pieces on the bottom with screws to keep it from ever warping. I run it through a big over head sander about every 5 or 6 years just to keep it smooth. My hands don't always push in the Tee Pins with the strength they used to so I have one of those cool little black plastic pin pusher inner and taker outer tools sold in most hobby shops or Tower. Most the time my hands still work but that little tool has come in handy. I think I won it as a door prise years ago and wondered if I would ever use it. Lucky me!!
Old 12-16-2008, 05:31 PM
qldviking

I gotta get one of those. after a few days out fishing my fingers get to soft [&:]
Old 12-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Duck hunting doesn't help a lot either!!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:17 AM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

I couldn’t get along without mine.
john
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21371.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1091466  
Old 12-17-2008, 04:27 PM
jbarnes

If you need a large area covered with something similar to ceiling tiles you can get sound insulation board that come in 4X8 sheets. They are cheap and after a couple of builds broken up and thrown away and replaced with a new one. Thanks, Jerry.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use two of the purpose built laminated balsa building boards. I bought mine from Gulliows but there are several others.

http://www.lymanslack.com/Articles&A...dingboard.html
Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 PM
proffcharlie

I go down to the local Home Depot or Lowes and look for a Hollow Core Closet door. You can find them as narrow as 18" or as wide as 36" and usually 80" long. I fid the 24" x 80" works great. I look for the ones that have a ding or minor damage and can usually get the door for $10 because of the damage. I make it a point to get the ones "skinned" with Luan and not hard wood. The Luan skin is easy to push pin through and does not let them wiggle around when laminating curves and bows. Go to the tools dept. and grab a metal yard stick (there are even some that are 4' long) and check the surface at different angles and locations to be sure the door in flat and true.

Charlie
Old 12-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right on proffcharlie. To add a couple cents to that i find if one searches for the folding doors made for closets, one can usuall get 4 doors for almost the price of one. Remove all the hardware. Then apply the ceiling tiles using carpet double sided tape along with a FEW wide head ceiling nails. Lay white shelf paper, or white with blue lines, over the ceiling tile. Draw a bunch of straight lines or whatever suits your fancy, then cover with clear shelf paper. These will last for years with just a little care. Most cuts are self sealing. When you feel the need, rip off the paper and redo it all. Don't forget the 99 cent stores when searching for these shelf papers. BTW they are now 99.9 cents. [X(]
Having several boards gives one several options. Building a wing panel, placing it away, while building something else, or whatever you need. I usually have several projects going, a new one, and a couple in for general maintenance or "overhaul" so I keep several busy.
For the a couple summers when I journey north, I have thrown one board in the truck along with a selection of tools, and out on the porch during the mid days using a couple saw horses I framed up these two machines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53065.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1092416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14694.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	1092417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98534.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	141.1 KB