Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

TopFlite Woodpecker

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

TopFlite Woodpecker

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TopFlite Woodpecker

Does anyone use the woodpecker on thier models before covering? I'm getting ready to cover my Shrike 40. I brushed Balsarite on it before covering and started on one of the vertical stabs but the monokote bubbles like crazy. I am considering buying one but other modelers I talk to say they don't like it very much. A broader opinion on the topic would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Ram Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TopFlite Woodpecker

Could it be that your Balsarite coat has not fully cured yet and is giving off gasses under your heat gun or iron? I would contact [email protected]. They always get right back to me and offer great advice.

Bill
Old 12-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Quikturn

It felt dry to the touch but I'll contact hobbico and see what they say. My thought is that the Balsarite seals the wood and that ant gases produced by Balsarite or monokote has nowhere to go. The woodpecker would solve that problem but I was told you can see all the holes it makes through the monokote.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:11 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never use a woodpecker or balsarite under covering. Just sand the wood smooth and the covering should stick just fine. I do use the woodpecker for gluing lage surfaces and high strength areas, like dihedral braces, wing joints, wing skins, and firewalls. It works great on foam with gorrilla glue too.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Ram Jet

I just got an E-mail back from Hobbico about their Balsarite. Balsarite does not seal against model airplane fuel. They recommend thinning epoxy with alcohol and brushing it on. I think they were referring to denatured alcohol because I ain't wastin' my Jim Beam on a model. Like vicman, I have covered without using Balsarite but I'm going to try it on a wing I'm presently building. I can also highly recommend their Hobbylite balsa filler. Looks and sands just like balsa and sands at the same rate. This stuff is nearly weightless. It's water clean-up but when it sets it becomes part of the wood.

Bill
Old 12-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Quikturn

Balsarite seems to make balsa harder and more dent resistant. I didn't anticipate problems with covering it. I'm gonna try and sand it smooth and I'll consider this a lesson.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:02 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't comment on the Balsarite since I have never used it but I do use the woodpecker on large sheeted areas. I personally feel that it makes a positive difference. I've never seen any holes through the covering. I suppose it could happen if you make deep gouges with the tool. I just make reasonable holes with the Woodpecker then hit it with some fine sandpaper to take off any wood slivers that may have been raised before covering.

I also like to use it sometimes if I end up having to put a large area of a trim color over existing Monokote. Of course Windex works great for that sort of application too.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:53 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used my WoodPecker when sheeting a balsa covered wing. Just roll the Woodpecker over the sheeting, spray on a mist of ammonia based window cleaner and you can almost tie the sheeting in a knot!

The slots from the WoodPecker allow the liquid to soak well into the wood pores.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:23 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a woodpecker on large sheeted surfaces. It does help prevent bubbling from heated covering gasses. I just built a fully sheeted wing, which was an ideal project for it. Roll it over the sheeted surface, lightly sand with 220 grit afterward to smooth, then make sure to blow off the surface with compressed air to clean out the sawdust from all those little holes. Also, I suggest only using Balsarite on surfaces that need it. It seems that covering does not stick to hard wood or plywood as easily as it does to balsa, so I will sometimes use it on a plywood area that needs to adhere well. Another tip is to lower the temp of your iron some to prevent as much bubbling. Make it hot enough to adhere the covering to the wood, though. I think your use of Balsarite on large sheeted areas made your situation worse.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:42 AM
mikegordon10

Ultracoat bubbles a lot less than Moneycoat. I only use balsa rite in areas that tend to lift. Around the engine area, any woods harder then lite ply. any open edge. I have a Woodpecker and have never used it for covering.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:01 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

I use the WoodPecker all the time. I even use it on wing joiners. It gives Me a better contact.
john
Old 12-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

One option is to turn down the temp on the iron. If you have access to a temp gauge, first measure the temp where it is at the point the bubbling appears then ratchet down in small increments.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Huntster

I agree... Using the woodpecker will reduce your bubbles, as will turning down the temp on the iron... but you can't go too low you still need to activate the glue and tighten the material.

If you are applying multiple colors over other colors then you can use the woodpecker to prevent most of the bubbles that will occur there too.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Quikturn

Well I appreciate all the input from everyone. Seems like if used properly, the woodpecker is a useful tool. I think I will buy one. The other thing I learned here is to check the temp on my iron and turn it down some. The Balsarite I will reserve for those hardwood areas.

Pettit, can you explain why you use window cleaner on your monokote or models? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:53 PM
vicman

You use windex for trim pieces or for any stickers you might add. It's quite simple. Spray it on liberally in the area you wish to locate your trim or sticker, lay it down and get it located just where you want it and squeegie out the liquid using a credit card or similar. Stickers are usually good to go after a few hours to dry but trim from covering material usually needs light heat to activate the glue. By using windex you can get all the bubbles out without and perfect location without messing up the glue underneath.

Do a search for windex method, it should give you an hour or two worth of reading.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Quikturn

Thanks for the info vicman. I wish I knew this before. A few days ago I bought some trim solvent to apply monocote over monocote. Sounds like windex does the same thing except you have to apply heat to activate the glue. Do you have to have to be careful using trim solvent? Anything to watch out for?
Old 12-31-2008, 12:27 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jship

I use the WoodPecker all the time. I even use it on wing joiners. It gives Me a better contact.
john
All this time I've had the woodpecker and never thought of using it for that. I've scored parts to be glued with a knife but the woodpecker would work very easy. I'll have to give it a shot.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:40 AM
vicman

Use your solvent around the edges of your trim with something like a Q-tip. It also does a nice job of keeping the edges down on the main covering in areas like wingtips.

Take a look in the videos section of RCU, MinnFlyer has a series on how to cover models there you can download and watch for free.