Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

I must be an adict?,.. or sick?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

I must be an adict?,.. or sick?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:48 PM
bipeguy03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I must be an adict?,.. or sick?

[quote]ORIGINAL: ArcticCatRider

I'm also of this mentality.

I'm 25 years old...and my favorite planes are all kits. I don't buy ARFs....I've only owned one. Everyone who I encounter who's my age at the field is typically flying an ARF.

With an 0.S. 46AX.....

They're not familiar with Carl Goldberg, or Midwest, or Dynaflite....or Picco or Rossi. They use electric starters while I still hand flip. They use Hobbicco electric fuel pumps while I still rock the Davis 6-Shooter. They don't know how to tune a pipe...and they're afraid of biplanes. They come out to the grass field with 2

[quote]

ArcticCatRider, why can more of our generation be like you!!!!!!!! EVERYTHING you just said sounds like it came from my mouth!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:18 AM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iron Bay has some of the Byron's designs. Here is a link to their site: http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/

Some of the old Jim Van Loo designs ( kitted by Ace ) are available as plans. I wish I knew more about the Ohio R/C stuff.

It looks like you better find/ collect as much info as you can as this stuff is vanishing at an alarming rate.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

double post

Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 PM
stuntflyr

Plane builder, you're not sick,
I flew Stunt for 40 years and labored over balsa and tissue hand rubbed dope, DuPont lacquer, detailed cockpits, all of it. Soooo...
I have a Kaos ARF with a 46AX!
I have a H9 Denight because the Sterling kits are gone! Hacker A-50 on 5S.
I like old stuff and build them still, but I'm not about to quit buying my ARF's. Too many good ones that are easy to buy, easy to assemble, and easy to fly all day long.
When I want to tinker, I do, Sterling Scale models, old Stunt kits made by modern manufacturers like a Gieseke Nobler, Shark 45, Derringer 46, and a couple of Paul Plecan 40's and 50's C/Lers from plans, cutting out the parts after tracing them with carbon paper, FUN! Even Maxey's Sterling P-63, Sig's ST and Yak 18PM, how about a Don's Custom Models Super Chipmunk? And glass and foam Classic Pattern ships, all good with my Tipo, UFO, Atlanta 60, Arrow and Phoenix 8. FSR's, Rossi's and YS short strokes, yeah!
But I'll not give up my ARF, too good. Just like electric, I do it. I like 3S foamies, 3S balsa, and 5S 60 sized jobs. Nice, good flyers, gets me to the field fast.
Not to mention my ARF Pattern ships, 3DHS Osiris 62, you gotta be kiddin' me, that thing flies so well I couldn't ever build that straight, that light, or cover that well, ever!
I think it's a balance of the good of both that keeps me interested.
Chris...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58287.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1827399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22702.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	1827400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24145.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1827401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq45071.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1827402   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98932.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1827403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq96400.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1827404  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:50 AM
stuntflyr

I must have had too much Mountain Dew...
Chris...
Old 12-07-2012, 02:56 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I have one on the bench, I can be at the lake fishing and I will still be thinking of what my next steps in the building process will be.  I wish I could afford to buy every kit I see on ebay. 
Old 04-14-2013, 03:47 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

I'm building a long discontinued CraftAir Firebird kit i got from the LHS (He's got lots of oldies). Lots of sanding and shaping!! Looks like a boxy ultrasport.
Kitbuilder... I ran across this old thread and was wondering how the Firebird turned out. I had one and it was a superb flying airplane. Ended up selling it at a swap meet after hundreds of flights.