Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

polyurathane & polycrilic

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

polyurathane & polycrilic

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:49 PM
kitman09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polyurathane & polycrilic

are these the same as far as covering a plane with, if not what is the differenceit will make? thanks
Old 08-14-2009, 07:07 PM
andrew66

Default RE: polyurathane & polycrilic

They should work the same. Only thing is, the polycrylic wont have any toxic fumes, and can be cleaned up with hot, soapy water. If you have some polyurethane kicking around, you could test it out on some scrap. But if it were me, I would stick to the polycrylic. It worked great for me, as with many others on this site.

PS
the polycrylic wont take as long to dry.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:11 PM
kitman09

thanks andrew66, polycrilic is what im going to use then.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i love the stuff. not as hard as an epoxy finish but soooooo much easier and quicker.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Sharpeye22

Are they fuel proof?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:53 PM
dhal22

no, assuming you will be painting your plane, either the paint or the clear coat needs to be fuel proof.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:40 AM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

dhal22: what do you use to fuel proof the PolyC?

Soft landings.

Joe
Old 08-15-2009, 01:44 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

typical polyurathane is oil based, clean up with paint thinner, or mineral spirits,same stuff different name, it tends to build up faster, the coats are thicker and can add weight fast, the oil based material is fuel proof, when allowed to fully cure.

polycrylic, probably the most over used and inaccurate name for water based acrylic clear coat, I use Varathane Diamond finish for glassing, but any WB poly works well enough for the job.
of the water based material the Varathane is the most fuel resistant of the ones I have tried, its good for a couple of hours before it begins to soften up when fuel is on it after it has cued for a couple of weeks.

for painting over WB poly glass jobs I like using the www.warbirdcolors.com paints since there a simmilar product, there water based catalized urathanes, they use a cross linker to make the finish fuel proof to 15% nitro.

I have also considered using the clear for glassing, since it would make my finish coats entirely fuel proof, but the Varathane is cheaper and is easy to use so I have kept going with it, the material also can be recoated in a hour so the glassing goes rather quickly
Old 08-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

I have used them both and decided I liked the finish I got with the Deft sanding Laquer better, just stinks so bad you need a big open area to use it.
For paint I like the Klass Kote two part epoxy, the stuff is bullet proof and easy to use. It thins down about 50/50 so the weight is kept down. Goes on easy with any cheap HVLP spray gun or air brush.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:58 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Has anyone tried clear coating with the Clear Laquer? In thin coats might be a good option to fuel proof with.