Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Remembering Carl Goldberg Models "The Legends of Carl GOldberg"

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Remembering Carl Goldberg Models "The Legends of Carl GOldberg"

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:06 PM
TOMAPOWA
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Remembering Carl Goldberg Models

I loved the original Goldberg models too.

Back in 1977 I learned how to fly on a Goldberg Falcon 56 (elevator/rudder). I got it as a kit for my 13th birthday and my dad and I built it together. We also built a 3 channel Heathkit radio we used to fly it with. I flew that for two years before moving onto other models but it sat hanging up in my dad's basement for almost 20 years. I finally resurrected it from my dad's basement around 10 years ago when I really got back into flying again (amazing what a divorce will do), popped a new OS 25 into it and flew it once again... what a memorable day that was (Dad had a tear in his eye... even though he said he didn't). It then hung in my garage for another 2 years until I had an accidental garage fire that distroyed 90% of my R/C gear... including the historic Falcon 56. Simply irreplaceable... but the memories will stick forever. The only think I salvaged from the burnt up Falcon 56 was the wing spar (extensive glue saved it barely) and a hand-carved (by my dad) wing tip/block. Both sit in my workshop were I see them almost every day as a reminder as to where and how it all started!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94865.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1279753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co80778.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	1279754  
Old 09-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like many of you, I learned both controline and R/C with a Goldberg kit. My dad started me in C/L by building me a Shoestring stunter (McCoy.29) before I was big / strong enough to hold the lines on that thing. Wasn't even in first grade, but grew into it and flew it well into high school. When I decided to start R/C in 1980, it was with Falcon 56 Mk2. What a great airplane! Built another 5yrs later and have it to dad, I now have it and will repair it for two reasons- great memories and great flyer.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

Shoestring Stunter - Still hanging in my workshop with a K&B .40
Eaglet 50 - Plane crashed but still have the OS .20 that was on it
Lil Satan - Hangs on the wall in my home office with a Cox Black Widow .049
Swordsman 18 - Hangs from home office ceiling
Eagle 63 - Taught my dad how to fly this
Extra 300 - Rocket with YS 120, sold it last year at a swap meet
Sukhoi - Last one I bought

I like to build. I see a lot of interest in building when I fly my Carden. I hope more kits come back.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Bladejunkie

Hey ChuckW,do you remember Fresno Hobby on First and Tulare streets?Thats where I bought all my CG models,I think I had every 1/2A c/l kit he put out,they usually did'nt last the weekend in our neighborhood.This was back in the early 60's.I remember Bob's Hobby in Fig Garden shopping center too,when I could afford R/C stuff in the late 70's he was the only real hobby shop in Fresno.I watched him maiden/crash a lot of rich kid's planes out at the Fresno Radio Modelers club field.Ah what memories.

Jim.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:36 PM
zain

I have the super chipmunk and the sukhoi that i build almost 12 years ago, one of finest on the markets. They are great flying models. I spent so much time making the sukhoi that i keep it as one of my display models.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:38 PM
zain

If any one is interested my LHS still has a few Goldberg kits.

Zain
Old 09-22-2009, 12:59 AM
tryingagain

I have built Goldberg control line and R/C. I have loved them all. I learned control line on a l'il Wizard and also flew a L'il Toot and the L'il Satan. I learned R/C on a Skylane 62 and I am building a Falcon 56 MKII. I have a Gentle Lady in the rafters and would love to build the Cub. I thought the kits were wonderful. Since the take overs they have definately not been the same though. One look at the Falcon 3 sent me searching for a MK II kit. I was lucky enough to find one in great condition and am loving the build. Like many kit builders I am buying now when I see one I like. I may be paranoid but the ARF guys out number us at the field now. Soon if you want to build it may be scratch building or nothing.

Until then however I still enjoy kit building. Thanks Carl.

Gord

Name:	Nk27744.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	547.9 KB
ID:	1279793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52560.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1279794  
Old 09-22-2009, 06:09 AM
psuguru

ORIGINAL: ArcticCatRider
This is not designed to serve as a pissing post in regards to the viability of bringing back the entire line. Instead, us kit builders, us "real model airplane people," can bask in the glory of what we knew to be the greatest manufacturer and promoter of real modeling.
Now, why does the web-site allow "pissing" but not "***** cat"?
<edit> Tee Hee, thought it'd do that. Instead of protecting our oh-so-vulnerable youngsters, they just draw attention to the naughty word <endedit>
Anyway,
I agree, Carl Goldberg models were always something I aspired to owning, but could never afford. Now I can afford them, I have turned into a CG collector of sorts.
Six Falcons, a Skylark 56, Two Cubs, Extra, Chipmunk.
I REALLY want a Shoestring, but they're going for a lorra dosh on EBay; so that makes the Top Notch Models Shoestring a VERY viable alternative IMHO.
But it's not CG issit?........................

Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: psuguru

ORIGINAL: ArcticCatRider
This is not designed to serve as a pissing post in regards to the viability of bringing back the entire line. Instead, us kit builders, us ''real model airplane people,'' can bask in the glory of what we knew to be the greatest manufacturer and promoter of real modeling.
Now, why does the web-site allow ''pissing'' but not ''***** cat''?
<edit> Tee Hee, thought it'd do that. Instead of protecting our oh-so-vulnerable youngsters, they just draw attention to the naughty word <endedit>
Anyway,
I agree, Carl Goldberg models were always something I aspired to owning, but could never afford. Now I can afford them, I have turned into a CG collector of sorts.
Six Falcons, a Skylark 56, Two Cubs, Extra, Chipmunk.
I REALLY want a Shoestring, but they're going for a lorra dosh on EBay; so that makes the Top Notch Models Shoestring a VERY viable alternative IMHO.
But it's not CG issit?........................

My choice of words was rather apt.....

If you really want it....grab one! Save up some dough....the Carl Goldberg models that I hold near and dear aren't getting easier to find.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:28 AM
ArcticCatRider

ORIGINAL: TOMAPOWA

I loved the original Goldberg models too.

Back in 1977 I learned how to fly on a Goldberg Falcon 56 (elevator/rudder). I got it as a kit for my 13th birthday and my dad and I built it together. We also built a 3 channel Heathkit radio we used to fly it with. I flew that for two years before moving onto other models but it sat hanging up in my dad's basement for almost 20 years. I finally resurrected it from my dad's basement around 10 years ago when I really got back into flying again (amazing what a divorce will do), popped a new OS 25 into it and flew it once again... what a memorable day that was (Dad had a tear in his eye... even though he said he didn't). It then hung in my garage for another 2 years until I had an accidental garage fire that distroyed 90% of my R/C gear... including the historic Falcon 56. Simply irreplaceable... but the memories will stick forever. The only think I salvaged from the burnt up Falcon 56 was the wing spar (extensive glue saved it barely) and a hand-carved (by my dad) wing tip/block. Both sit in my workshop were I see them almost every day as a reminder as to where and how it all started!
Cool story....glad you're back into RC and enjoying!!

Sorry about your garage loss....that's terrible. In fact, I'm so paranoid about the same thing happening to me that in recent years I've separated some of my collection to my house, my folk's house, an aunt's house...just so I don't lose it all. They all think I'm silly.....I told 'em I'd pay 'em rent..ahhh??
Old 09-22-2009, 11:47 AM
uliner
My Feedback: (2)

Brodak is making most of the CG control line kits. Lots better wood and lazer cutting. Shoestring, Cosmic Wind Stuntmand 23 etc.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Still love my Extra 300. Always thought set up right it was a good practice plane for the old AMA pattern in Sportsman anyway My goldberg is obviously the one in the middle. Spent hours cutting out those stupid letters by hand.

My Sukhoi is just waiting for me to buy new covering material, cowl, and belly pan. Engine flameouts over the years ripped my good share of landing gears out of the wing Flew nice though.

Name:	Tr50787.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1280012  
Old 09-22-2009, 12:42 PM
ASCHKINGDOM
My Feedback: (103)

Well guys, I still have my Jr. Falcon from the 70's with my Ace equipment. Hundreds of flights on it. I grew up on rudder only and quite frankly am still sharp on it! Now fellow's, hve you all gone to WWW. EARLYRCMODELS.COM? Check out their kit's. I have build a couple of them. Long live Carl Goldberg Kits!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:45 PM
paul246
My Feedback: (9)

Good thread. Now I'm glad I hung on to my .25 powered Jr. Tiger! Neat little plane and a ball to fly.
One of my buddies learned to fly on a Sr. Falcon, and I helped build a couple of the Super Chipmunks. I think its about time I ordered a Super Chipmunk kit for myself.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Trisquire

I had a 1/2A Blazer kit which I unfortunately never constructed. If memory serves, the quality of the die cutting was almost as good as today's laser cutting.

Tom
Old 09-22-2009, 03:33 PM
paul246
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: ASCHKINGDOM

Well guys, I still have my Jr. Falcon from the 70's with my Ace equipment. Hundreds of flights on it. I grew up on rudder only and quite frankly am still sharp on it! Now fellow's, hve you all gone to WWW. EARLYRCMODELS.COM? Check out their kit's. I have build a couple of them. Long live Carl Goldberg Kits!!!
Thanks for the link, bookmarked it. Neat stuff!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:11 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: cd_webb

What's really scary is that Tower, slowly and very surely, is going to have the last say as to what kit builders are able to build - or even if there is anything TO build! I don't know what everyone else is going to do, but the plans of these kits that I love are going to be copied, carefully stored away, and pulled out for kit cutting occasions only. If I can't buy the kit, I'll have the parts cut (or cut them myself) and STILL build what I want. I may be a hybrid kit-scratch builder before it's all over! Tower and everybody else can take their ARF's and stick 'em!
Kit producers like Goldberg one by one will go the way of the Dodo and it's a shame. Glad now that I bought that Chipmunk I didn't think I could afford!
With all respect, I think you are arriving to the wrong conclusions. What will decide what you will be able to purchase in 10 years from now is not Tower, it's the market. If there are enough kit builders left, they will keep them coming. If nobody buys a particular model, guess what? My favorite kit supplier is Balsa USA, and I do not think they will go out of business before I do:-)

As you accurately point out, if a kit stops being available, we always will have plans:-) I do have a lot of plans left over from 30years+ in the hobby, I just never felt the need to go and build one, but if the day comes, I will be ready!
I had 2 eaglets and a couple of j-3 (aniversary edition). Now I have a 1/4 scale Super cub (BUSA) and a 1/4 scale clipped wing Sig J-3, both gas powered...

I think Goldberg had an edge over Sig (at the time) because their kits were much easier to assemble than the Sig ones.

Gerry
Old 09-22-2009, 05:31 PM
cd_webb

You are right, but I don't think that you can mistake the current trend. This country is full of modelers that just, for whatever reason, do not want a kit. I believe that the handwriting is on the wall. If there's a kit you want, you better get it. The ARF world will rule one day, I hope I've got enough plans when that day comes to last me. Carl Goldberg Models is just the latest casualty. You guys are all right, when somebody like Goldberg goes, you lose a little bit of something. I guess I'm just not a big fan of change!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:39 PM
RVman

I'm not nearly as old as most of you guys (20) but I remember learning CL on Carl Goldberg planes in the 90's. Lil wizard, lil satan and a jumpin bean. The wizard had a cox and the others ran norvel 049's. The wizard took a heck of a beating, we crashed that thing all the time, trying to pull loops and stuff like that. They are still in flying condition though I prefer to fly the larger 35 size models now.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:14 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bladejunkie

Hey ChuckW,do you remember Fresno Hobby on First and Tulare streets?Thats where I bought all my CG models,I think I had every 1/2A c/l kit he put out,they usually did'nt last the weekend in our neighborhood.This was back in the early 60's.I remember Bob's Hobby in Fig Garden shopping center too,when I could afford R/C stuff in the late 70's he was the only real hobby shop in Fresno.I watched him maiden/crash a lot of rich kid's planes out at the Fresno Radio Modelers club field.Ah what memories.

Jim.
Yes, I remember going to that hobby shop. Went to Bob's most often though since it was closer where we lived at the time. Also went to a shop in Merced quite a bit but can't remember the name of it. I'm sorta remembering having another Goldberg CL plane too but not quite sure which one or if I really did or not. The Lil Jumpin Bean seems familiar but who knows.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:00 PM
CRJDriver
My Feedback: (57)

I began in 1981 with a Lil Jumping Bean also with a Coz Golden Bee .049. What a great little airplane that was! I fianlly earned enought money with my paper route that I bought a CG 1/2 A Skylane set up with 2 channels ( elev and rudder). Not a smart move - brought it home in a bag. Moved on to the Eaglet 50. What a wonderful airplane that was. This airplane taught me how to fly with 4 channels and a Enya .09. Moved on to the Jr. Tiger powered by a OS .25 FSR. Another marvelous design. Then came the Anniversary Edition Cub, followed by the Sukhoi, then the Ultimate. All fantastic designs. Hard to fault anyone of them. I recently built my son an Eaglet 50 and this is what he learned on. It now hangs from the ceiling in his room! Thank God for Carl Goldberg!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Bass1

The "Ranger 30" was my very first kit that I built back in 1963. Then moved on to a Lil' Jumpin Bean. I still have a beautiful kit built Goldberg Sukhoi SU26 that I put together about 8 years ago. She still flies like the full scale one!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:17 AM
exfed

In the early 1980's, I owned and operated a hobby shop in Miami, Fl. I ordered Eagle 63 & Eaglet 50 kits in case lots. There was never a dissapointed customer and every model flew as it should. I tried to help the beginners along and would test fly and trim out their models when our schedules allowed. After trimming, I would make a low speed inspection pass and as the plane passed abeam, I would mention "Do you remember when it was just a box of balsa wood?" There answer was always the same, a slowly uttered, "Yeah". The thing that is missing in todays Avistars is the pride of ownership and accomplishment that Carl gave the hobby.

I think the thing I hear most often when we discuss Goldberg kits, is no matter how badly you messed it up, they still flew great.

Thanks Carl
Old 09-27-2009, 10:30 AM
brianjt

Man what a great thread.

My first successful RC plane was a Falcon 56 I got from the base BX when I was stationed in Germany, it flew great and taught me how to fly, I got out of the USAF and went to Utah to go to school, since I was new there I didn't have anyone to fly with, so I flew the Falcon once or twice , but it made me so nervous that I just didn't enjoy it, so I took it down to the LHS to sell it, but thankfully for me, the owner talked me into keeping the radio gear and getting a Gentle Lady Glider with a power pod (the best hobby advice I ever got). I quickly got it assembled and was able to learn to fly without having a nervous breakdown.

I went up through the Goldberg line up, Eaglet 50, Skylark 56MKII and on to countless other kits over the past 28 years. to this day the Skylark 56 is still one of my all time favorites (I have a new undisturbed kit) and I still fly an Eaglet, it's a ton of fun to fly and is much better on fuel consumption than my YS 140 powered Skybolt...

Thank you Carl Goldberg for getting me into this great hobby (twice)...

Name:	Ig11075.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1283252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90750.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1283253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89871.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1283254  
Old 09-27-2009, 01:19 PM
EscapeFlyer

I feel everyone's pain, and am desperately trying to introduce and revitalize this end of our hobby. Most peole I've read have already been helping me in this endeavor. For those who want to be proactive and aid in this that haven't, I offer you a place to share and help strengthen this part of our hobby:

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8994041/tm.htm[/link]

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9123342/tm.htm[/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.