Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Ultrsport 60 and Retracts

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Ultrsport 60 and Retracts

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:39 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Ultrsport 60 and Retracts

ORIGINAL: Eganwp

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

A few things worth mentioning...

First, as good as my retracts are, the H-9 ones are better, mainly due to the struts. Now, you CAN use Robart Struts on mine (I did it on my last Ultra Sport) but they cost 40 bucks each, so you'll pay $60 for the units and $80 for the struts ($140) plus a retract servo ($ 28 - $50). Going with the RT88 servo, you've got $168

The H-9 retracts are $94. It LOOKS like they come with struts (which would be really cool). If that is the case, you'd have the price of the units, plus 2 servos for a total of $150.

The only down side to the H-9 units are that you will need to create a door to cover the servos with
Thanks Minn. That's helps a lot with the clarification. I honestly cannot wait to get this kit in the air. Ken how many US kits do you have stored away anyhow? It's gotta be 5+ at this point.
6 full US60 kits. 2 short kits of the US60 cut from RCMplans. and the RCMUltra Sport 60 plans

4 Ultra Sport 1000 kits as well

Ken
Old 12-02-2009, 06:57 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe after you retire, you'll have time to start building one
Old 12-02-2009, 07:12 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Naw, I'm putting a building board in my coffin!!!!!

Ken
Old 12-02-2009, 08:00 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder how many Ultra Sports Great Planes rekitted? I got a few, but if I knew they were almost gone, I might buy a few more..... Wish they would rekit the US1000. That was the best....

bob
Old 10-13-2010, 12:01 PM
RoyR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to open this topic again and hope someone can help me out.
A couple of years ago I bought the Ultra Sport 60 and also the Minnflyer designed retracts from 3DX.
I was out of flying almost two years because we moved and built a house. Now that I am back I began building the Ultra sport. I have built up one wing and was fitting the retract in it. I operated it a couple of times with the pushrod and suddenly the retract locked up. I took it apart and had a hard time getting the mechanism apart on one side. Somehow the bearing on one side was scored. The aluminum just bound with itself and locked up.
I don't know if anything got in it or not because I wasn't forcing anything, I just had the pushrod attached and was operating it.
I was able to clean it off and add some WD40 to get it to operate, but it is not as smooth as it was originally. It has score marks on it and could possibly bind up again.

My question. I can't find these retracts anymore on the internet. Are they still being made? Does anyone have one 3dx retract they want to get rid of? Has anyone else had problems with this retract binding? If no to all of the above, does anyone know of a retract that will fit the bolt hole pattern? I have already glued in the plywood to fit this retract, plus cut the ribs to fit. I would hate to have to cut it all out and try to get another retract to go in there. Fortunately I have only done one wing so far.

Help anyone?

Thanks, Roy
Old 10-13-2010, 12:57 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Roy, try taking it apart again and using a very fine sandpaper, sand the pivot pin "Shoeshine" style all the way around. Then make a roll out of fine sandpaper and spin it as you move it in and out of the hole.

Or, if you like, PM me and I'll send you my address and you can ship it to me and I'll smooth it out for you.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:35 PM
weezle

does it matter if the retracts are 85 or 90 degrees? has anyone ever done tri-cycle retracts on this bird?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:27 PM
weezle

And which retract system would be the the best for me, a person who is only building his 2nd kit(built lots of ARF's), has never installed a set of retracts, is more concerned about the ease of installation, operation, and durability....price of the unit is the least of my concern. I was looking at the electric retracts they look nice (hangar9, Lado) which is best?

thanks for your time

josh
Old 10-13-2010, 06:00 PM
prgonzalez

Josh,

I did my first retracts installation in my Ultra Sport 60 using a GP retracts for 60 size plane. The mistake I did was under estimating the forces at which the retract rails are subject to. I used too soft and too thin plywood. At the end, I had to rebuild the rails with stronger and thicker plywood and increment surface area to glue the rails into the ribs. Other than that, it is not difficult and you can follow the instructions of the GP assembly manual.

My 0.02

Pedro
Old 10-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Alex7403

I'm also into installing retracts for the next US60, its gonna be my third.
I have two pairs of those blue ones from H-9 but they require a special servo - JR or Spectrum and as was mentioned by minnflyer the end result is not that cheap.
There are complaints about the blue retracts that the struts are weak and need to be replaced by the ones from Robart.

Now from my research for retracts there are few more options to look into :
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJZD2&P=7

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFLG400
edit: I dont know the strut diameter if its 5/32 or 3/16.

I didnt install any of them and had no experience with any of those yet so I'll be glad for any review.

Alex
Old 10-14-2010, 12:52 AM
RoyR

Roy, try taking it apart again and using a very fine sandpaper, sand the pivot pin ''Shoeshine'' style all the way around. Then make a roll out of fine sandpaper and spin it as you move it in and out of the hole.

Or, if you like, PM me and I'll send you my address and you can ship it to me and I'll smooth it out for you.
Thanks MinnFlyer.
I had used steel wool to smooth it down some. When I put it back it seems pretty close to what it was. I'm still not sure if something worked its way in the bearing or maybe I got it in a bind.
I'm still getting it adjusted in the wing, I may take it apart one more time and look things over before I install it for good.

I'm slow going on the Ultra Sport, but hope to have it ready in a few weeks if nothing delays me.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:56 AM
RoyR

I like the looks of the electric retracts. They look like they could be the retracts of the future. Hopefully the price will go down
Old 10-14-2010, 10:42 AM
ser00

Hi everybody,

I am using spring air retracts from www.retracts.com. These are the air up, spring down which is great in case you develop a leak. I am also using Robarts' Robostruts on mine.

Happy flying and soft landings!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:18 AM
vmsguy

I've got a set of the e-flite electric retracts...

Don't know where they'll go.. I got a TF Spitfire kit, and a US60 kit... decisions, decisions.

But no building for me.. Have to retile the family room floor, so my building area is all discombobbulated at the moment.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:28 AM
hrrcflyer

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ken

Maybe if we ALL ask real nicely, we can convince RcKen to do a build thread with one of his US1000 kits while he can still have his building board ABOVE ground! ! ![sm=lol.gif]
Old 10-14-2010, 12:06 PM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer
ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ken

Maybe if we ALL ask real nicely, we can convince RcKen to do a build thread with one of his US1000 kits while he can still have his building board ABOVE ground! ! ![sm=lol.gif]

Considering the ribbing we gave Minnflyer when is US60 build stalled.. I think RCKen's scared to do another build thread. Can't say how I can blame him.