Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

1/6 scale Sopwith Triplane kit...do they exist??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

1/6 scale Sopwith Triplane kit...do they exist??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Tuskegee1973

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/6 scale Sopwith Triplane kit...do they exist??

I've looked for quite sometime now and searched the forum with NEGRES. Are there scale kits for this plane out there yet? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:52 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/6 scale Sopwith Triplane kit...do they exist??

Never seen any RC Tripehound kits around here other than the D.A.R.E. Hobbies version which was a smallish sportscale design but I have a 1/6 scale plan by Tim Royle (England), 1/5 drawings by Replicraft (highly recommended- you can build a fullscale one using these drawings!) and 1/4 scale plan by Mike Boothe (England). What a lovely airplane. I've built the wings for the 1/4 sized version. After I finish my DH-5 I will put it back on the bench.

Added 1-5-10 Aerodrmerc.com has a Tripe in 1/8 scale 40"
Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Tuskegee1973

ARUP:

Thanks for that information...that's pretty much what I figured. I am going to get a couple more kits under my belt in the 1/6 size from CD Scale Designs. Interested Chris' Pup, DH2 (hasn't made it to kit production yet), and the SE5a from Chris. The Proctor VK DR1 in 1/6 scale is another kit on my list and then I feel i'll be comfortable enough to tackle a 1/6 size short kit (hardware and all) of the Triplehound and have the experience to figure what will go where

I will check out the plans you suggested.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Tuskegee1973

Also I did a google search and didn't find very much on Tim Royle, where can I get that plan from?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Tuskegee1973

Michael,

Thanks for a copy of your 1/6 scale plans! They are very clean!

Charles
Old 08-25-2010, 06:48 PM
HalfaStrut

HI

Manzano Lazer Works has a 45" Sopwith Tri by Peter Rake I think its 1/7th ?

_Pat
Old 08-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also look at Aerodrome RC, they have an e-powered Tripe. Don't know what the scale is though.

FB
Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 PM
HalfaStrut

AeroDrome RCs Tri is a 40" 1/8 scale tri elec. Manzanos is also elec. I am lookin for a 1/5th or 1/6th Tri Kit as well, I'll let you know if and when I find something.If I locate some plans ...........would you be interested.

Pat
Old 09-03-2010, 05:39 AM
kdc

Tim Royle's plan is available at http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/produc...pwith-triplane also a copy of the article is available at extra cost

The Tripehound is nothing like a Sopwith but is a 56 inch sport version of the Fokker triplane by David Boddington and avail as a plan and wing ribs etc from DB Sport & Scale in England http://www.dbsportandscale.com/Tripehound.htm
Old 12-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Dave in Detroit

If you haven't found what you are looking for, the December, 2011 edition of the AMA magazine list a source for the Sopwith Triplane in 1/6, 1/4 , and 1/3 scale short kits. I believe that the plans come with the short kits if you order it. The kits are cut from plans by Jerry Behrens.
That triplane has caught my eye too. I'm always looking at anything that flies on more than one wing.
I have a DR-I that's a bit bigger than 1/5 scale. I bought from an estate sale. I didn't know it until I got it home but it's an ARF. Don't know what ARF it is but it flies really well with an OS 1.20 up front. It's got a 60 inch span. I was told at one time that it was from Fly Boy Models, but when I tried to look them up the web site had been shut down.

Dave
Old 03-13-2012, 11:08 AM
spitfire1999
My Feedback: (21)

Not sure if anyone else looks at this thread anymore, but I found it while also looking for a decent Tripe kit to build. I have a little Saito .30 NIB that I would love to put in a bird a little bigger/heavier than the Dare tripe. I already regularly fly the old Kavan foamie Tripe on 3 channels. Something in the 40-45" span would do it.

By the way, "Dave in Detroit", Fly Boy Models, as you discovered, disapeared a few years ago. They were a one man importer in LA who hooked up with some chinese company to manufacture. However, the same chinese factory is distributing now through a place in Texas called "Texas RC Planes".

I just looked at the plans from Tim Royale plans, think I'm gonna have to get a new Saito .65 now! Is this available as a short kit with cowl?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Dave in Detroit

Manzano Lazer Works is still selling a short kit for a 45 inch span Sopwith triplane. Problem might be the electric nature of it but it should convert to glow without too much problem.
It's a Peter rake design. The short kit with plans runs about 90 bucks. Not too bad. If you go to the Monzano web page there is a link to a build thread and you can get a look at how it is designed and built.
Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-14-2012, 06:13 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Problem might be the electric nature of it but it should convert to glow without too much problem. "

I would be cautious about that. Typically glow models are built more sturdily ALL the way through, to with stand the pounding of an internal combustion. This reinforcement is not required for electric.

Les