Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

WE NEED HELP WITH A WING SADDLE

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

WE NEED HELP WITH A WING SADDLE

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 AM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WE NEED HELP WITH A WING SADDLE

Please go to the link below and help us out if you can. One of the guys in that build thread has an issue with his wing saddle. He has a 1/4 in gap between the saddle and the wing itself. There are pics. Igave him all the advice Icould but Iam not sure I have the right answers. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93...tm.htm#9461387
Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: WE NEED HELP WITH A WING SADDLE

Check out this article at Airfield Models website. It'll give you all the info you need to take care of your problem.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...dles/index.htm

Ken
Old 02-01-2010, 12:24 PM
mclina

It sounds like he might have an incidence problem and not just a saddle-gap problem. His last post indicates that he drilled the dowel holes too low in the former, and has re-filled them. Once he gets his wing incidence correct and re-drills the holes, then he should follow the procedure in Ken's link to get his saddles perfect.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:37 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do the method for filling the gap as described in the link in post 2 except I use Sig Epoxolite instead of epoxy and microballoons.

Not a criticism just another method.

Don
Old 02-01-2010, 12:50 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

It's not a gap filling problem, the issue is shaping the leading edge and moving the dowel holes in the fuse. He needs to take a lot more material off the LE to get the correct shape. Enlarge the holes in the fuse so the wing can move. Look where the LE touches the fuse, then take some off that spot, put it back on the fuse, see where it touches, take more off, repeat until you have a good fit, then worry about the very small gaps and fill them.

To fix the dowel holes he'll need to enlarge the holes so he can refit the wing (above) then glue in a new piece of ply, over the enlarged hole with a hole for the dowels. If he has access to the dowel holes it make it very easy because the new piece of ply can be glued in with the wing on the fuse.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

double post
Old 02-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Mtthwacrss
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for the help. I have re-drilled the holes and now the wing fits much better. Just chock it up to having been too long since I last built a kit. When I changed to the two pin mod I forgot that the pins move up and that caused the wing to set so low. After re-drilling and a little sanding the wing is now setting in the saddle more like it should. I will be using one of the gap filling methods you all mentioned. This just shows why RCU is such a great site. Years ago I would have had to wait until I could have gone to a hobby shop or to someone’s house that knew what they are doing. Now we can put it out on line and get many different ideas and fixes. Thanks again for all the help. Also if you haven’t checked out airfield models yet you should it has a lot of good info there thanks RCKen.