Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Bud Nosen 1/4 J3 to 1/4 Super Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bud Nosen 1/4 J3 to 1/4 Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:37 AM
AH1G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bud Nosen 1/4 J3 to 1/4 Super Cub

I'm held up on another project because of a motor mount so, I decide to procede withanother long belated project.. A bud nose, A&A J-3.
I have indentified some weak points that I need some input on. Comments sincerly welcome!

1. The plans show two screws and 3/8" dowels for wing attachment. I want to utilize carbon fiber wing joiners, I need 1/2" CF wing joiners. Any of you folks know of a source for 1/2" and 1/4th CF tubes and corrisponding dimentials rods? And do you know of aluminum wing sruts, 5/16x"3/4" and 5/16"x 3/4" both 36" in length?
2. Because I wnt to modify the kit to a Super Cub, do you have any thoughts on how to reinforce the cabin stringers to handle the additional load? Two bulkheads will need to be cut out to accept the rear wind screen. I was thinking of CF tape laminated around the inside of the cabin structure.
3. Because of the indicated wing construction is weak at best, I was going replace/adding a CF rod between the main spars as joiners and adding a secondary spar just forword of the LE of the flap and aileron. The ailerion and flaps would have two CF rods built in for regidity.
4. My intention is to install 2 ailerion servos and two flap servos.
5. Because the ultimate goal is to be able to install floats, Would you install the floats of the rear LG mounting blocks for the floats and how far aft of the cabin would you install them? I still want to be able to install fixed gear when needed.
6. I intend to install a OS 110 FS pumper for power, the plans call for a 60 2 stroker, is this acceptable because of the added weight of the floats? The indicated weight from the plans is 13 to 15 Lbs.& the anticipated weight with floats is 20-22 Lbs.
7. The Super Cub cowl has been ordered for Fiberglass Specilties. I'l make the under-belly cargo carrier from fiberglass.
8. Looking for "Tundra" tires, 1/4 scale for a 42" baloon tire on a J3 rim.

I'll post pics tomorrow of the fusalage as it stands.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Lins

Default RE: Bud Nosen 1/4 J3 to 1/4 Super Cub

Any luck? I'm very curious, thanks!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 AM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may find my build thread, which is still ongoing, a source of some ideas. I had researched many Cubs and how mine is being build is a culmination of that research.

I am no scale masters builder but I do try my best at making it as perfect as I can.

FYI: I believe the 6" Dubro tires are as close as you'll find to Tundra Tires. The are pressurized with a pump and valve so you can make them really soggy if you want. I'll attach a photo of mine with the tires on it and a picture of my friend's 1/4 Cub with the same tires.

My Sig 1/4 J3 Cub to PA-18 Super Cub Conversion Thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8857500/tm.htm

SunDevilPilot
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47862.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1657344   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44874.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1657345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62352.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1657346  
Old 09-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Lins

Thanks, I'll check out the thread. I have a set of those tires for a 1/6 scale Twin Otter project, but they don't look very tundra on it!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 AM
grimmy55

I used I know it sounds heavy but bloody strong is an arrow from a sports shop as in bow annd arrow u will never break it they are 5/16 x3 feet long have sticky beak at local spprts shop