Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Futaba 2.4ghz

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Futaba 2.4ghz

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Scratchie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Futaba 2.4ghz

I see a lot of Futaba 2.4ghz on ebay, once in a while they go for a reasonable price. I know Futaba had a recall with their early 2.4 radios, is Futaba still fixing these radios?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:48 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 2.4ghz

Try the Futaba support forum or contact Hobby Services directly.

If you have the zero guid problem though, I'd be shocked if they wouldn't fix it.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:15 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got mine last week and flying all my 3D planes with it.NO PROBLEMS!!I had spectrum and lost 0vern 600 bucks of planes in less than 10 minutes.I sadly learned spectrum had problems earlier and now sells a spectrum voltage regulator to control voltage loss.at that point I had enough and went back to futaba .if your spectrum is brand new shouldnt be an issue but after what I experienced flying more than 30 years I got rid of it and chucked it up as a bad decision on my part .but now I am flying with confidenece again.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:18 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

got mine last week and flying all my 3D planes with it.NO PROBLEMS!!I had spectrum and lost 0vern 600 bucks of planes in less than 10 minutes.I sadly learned spectrum had problems earlier and now sells a spectrum voltage regulator to control voltage loss.at that point I had enough and went back to futaba .if your spectrum is brand new shouldnt be an issue but after what I experienced flying more than 30 years I got rid of it and chucked it up as a bad decision on my part .but now I am flying with confidenece again.

It's odd how there are two camps of folks regarding 2.4 GHz systems. One camp won't fly Futaba and the other camp won't fly Spektrum. I own both brands, plus a third party 2.4 GHz module system for my JR rigs. So far, so good. I do tend to use larger batteries than most folks. I could care less about having the lightest model, as long as it flies as I want it to.

When a pilot loses a model, there is only one person to blame - the pilot. If he lost a plane, he didn't do his homework. And yes, I lose a model now and then too. I shave the faulty feller's face just about every day, so I'm really familiar with what he looks like. He's an ugly old cuss, he is, I tell ya.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-09-2010, 01:03 AM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: NM2K

When a pilot loses a model, there is only one person to blame - the pilot. If he lost a plane, he didn't do his homework.

Ed Cregger

Ed, while that is a very good bet, youwill not always win that bet. The last couple years have seen some issues pop up with chaffed wiring on a gimble, Low signal voltages, RX's that can't stand the heat, Slow reboots on a low voltage glitch, and I'm sure there are others. All of this is with newer radios.

Ipersonally had a plane shot down because one of our older members was showing off his "early computer Tx" and flipped a switch to show how easy it was to change channels. Down I went. Ihappened to be on the buddy box at the time. The plane was about five mistakes high and Icouldn't do anything, and neither could my instructor until just before it dissapeared into the trees, we finally heard the engine wind up.

We had a bunch of guys that found a flat pasture across the hwy from our field and they were raising hell with our planes untill we chased them off. Sometimes, equipment fails. Ihad a couple different issues with batteries. Only one lost plane thanks to good luck. A receiver battery tab between cells snapped free. Total loss of voltage. Iwas astounded at how long the plane flew in circles untill it finally lost enought altitude to hit a bush. The other battery was a new NiMh that had a cell go bad on the second charge. 10.4 volts on the TX at the start of the flight and 8.0 and an alarm a minute later. That one was saved.

Not one of those were the fault of the pilot. Maybe another pilot, but not the one that lost the plane.

So. like you, I've trashed my share of planes, and someone else's share also due to a circuit failure between the brain and thumbs. And while your bet would have paid off most of the time, you would have lost a couple of times.

If you grew a beard, you wouldn't have to look at that "He's an ugly old cuss, he is, I tell ya." I"ve tried that, but after about a week, the wife tell me that she is tired of lookin at that "He's an ugly old cuss, he is, I tell ya." setting across the table from her.

Don

Old 03-09-2010, 12:06 PM
NM2K

We all know that things fail that are out of our ability to control. Yet, who is held responsible for incidents that occur on full size, man carrying ships and aircraft? The Captain, that is who. More often than not, in the end, the blame is on their shoulders. And rightfully so.

It is easy to become negligent and sloppy when it is easy to hang the blame on someone else. So who is responsible for selecting the various pieces of equipment that make up our aircraft? We are. Don't believe me, follow a case through court involving a fatality or a severe injury and one of our model airplanes. It ain't pretty.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-09-2010, 04:38 PM
bigal126
My Feedback: (18)

I just recently found out my 6EX transmitter was a recalled one so I sent it in and it was repaired free of charge. I used it for one full season with no problems. Just got lucky I guess.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:58 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

So how do we know if our Futabas are newer or old? I bought my first 2.4 radio about 6 months ago...a Futaba FASST...

Are the recalls from way before?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

I bought an Airtronics because A.  I could afford it. and B.  I read alot of threads here in RCU over several months and the consensus is that it is a reliable radio.  I have not flown the model yet so I cannot give it a full critique. 
BUT....if I could afford it I would just as easily bought a Futaba.  I started out in RC back in the late 80's.  I had to stop for a few years.  I was too busy with life in general for a hobby.  But way back then Futaba wa THE radio.  Based on what I have read, it still is.  You just have to have the funds for it.  So if you found one at a good price I say jump on it.  If it turns out you dont care for it you can always sell it. 
Old 03-09-2010, 11:23 PM
bigal126
My Feedback: (18)

The recall was from way before. I found this on the futaba site, and therefore sent my transmitter in. Mine had the serial number that was in question. http://2.4gigahertz.com/techsupport/...m7-7c-6ex.html
Old 03-10-2010, 02:39 AM
NM2K

Thanks for the URL. I'm sure that many will be helped by your posting of that link.

Ed Cregger