RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/2708451-sig-1-4scale-c-w-cub-build.html)

WacoNut 03-06-2005 02:05 PM

RE: Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build

1 Attachment(s)
Take a look at this pic,
You can see how the full size cub door is hinged, I am going to try and replicate this by using some flat steel stock and make a piece that attaches to the door and a piece that attaches to the frame and get a micro screw and nut to attach them together. I will experiment with making the parts from a hacksaw blade. It should be the right thickness and will be stiff enough to hold up.
I am changeing out the flat balsa instrument panel for a thicker contoured piece of balsa that I will later laminate a .010 thick piece of aluminum to. Where can I get some good looking cub instrument faces?? I will make my own frames and bezes I just need the faces??

WacoNut 03-06-2005 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been busy today,
Here are a few pics of my progress on the fuse. I bent and installed the reinforcement rods for the cabin top, I will let the fuse dry overnight and finish pulling the aft end together and adding the cross pieces and add the uprights to the cabin area. The open door and window is alot of extra work but I think it will be well worth the effort.
Later!!
Anthony

tubig 03-06-2005 07:36 PM

looks like this kit builds pretty much the same as it's smaller brother (the 1/6 kit). looking good.

WacoNut 03-06-2005 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: tubig

looks like this kit builds pretty much the same as it's smaller brother (the 1/6 kit). looking good.
Thanks tubig:D
I couldn't resist buiding another Cub after following your post on the 1/6th. I wasn't planning on building a 1/4 scale but a 1/5. I couldn't pass this one up(still haven't told the wife I need an engine:D) How is your Cub coming??? You should be ready for paint??
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 03-06-2005 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: tubig

Thanks tubig:D
I couldn't resist buiding another Cub after following your post on the 1/6th. I wasn't planning on building a 1/4 scale but a 1/5. I couldn't pass this one up(still haven't told the wife I need an engine:D) How is your Cub coming??? You should be ready for paint??
Later!!
Anthony

tubig 03-07-2005 06:11 AM

yep. almost ready. waiting for some warmer, drier weather in taiwan to finish up with the dope filler coats on the fuse and wing. can't do that stuff indoors........much too smelly. then on with the painting. will start back up on it in a couple of weeks. i'll be watching yours until then.

WacoNut 03-07-2005 03:15 PM

Cubman,
I think I have found a solution to the latches on the door and the window. I believe Radioshack sells some very small but strong rare earth magnets. This will be hard to explain but I will try, install 2 magnets in the bottom of the 5/16 balsa in the bottom of the door(they will have to be recessed) then recess 2 magnets in the 5/16 stock in the door opening frame adjacent to where the door magnets would be. You will have to assure that the polarity of the magnets are correct when installing so they will attract each other. You can do the same thing with the window and installl magnets to hold the door and window in the open positions for when you are flying. I will experiment with this and install them in my Cub if it looks like it will work.
Later!!
Anthony

satdog 03-07-2005 09:22 PM

hello guys:D
started back on my full size reduced to a cliped wing sig 1/4 cub. have not worked on it for two years. found this forum today. i had been mulling over a scheme on attaching the aileron servos. looked at a couple models at a hobby shop today. kinda decided on mounting them right on the hatch cover with the servo horn sticking out. it looked simple and clean. any thoughts on this set up. also the owner of the store had a suggestion on using two servos on the elevator. splitting the elevator in half and using one servo for each side. he said if one fails or breaks the other would be enough to land with. again any thoughts? like all your chat so far. you guys have a great deal of experience. i have been building for about ten years, all small stuff. had a idea for the hinges on the cub door. how about using two clevis halves riveted together. one set at each end of the door. it may make it look more scale. don't know if they are big enough or strong enough for the ΒΌ size door you have.

WacoNut 03-07-2005 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made alot of progress on the fuse tonight,
Installed all the cross members and turtle deck formers and stringers, installed the nose formers and sheeted the nose and installed the cabin floor. I also installed the cabin upright braces. I left the nose bottom sheeting off until I get my engine so I can install the blindnuts for the mount and to setup the fuel tank. I will give the work area a good cleanup before moving on to the Fin and Rudder tommorow night and then on to the wings. If all goes well the plane will be completely framed up by the end of this weekend and I can start on building the cockpit interior. Here are a couple of pics of the fuse as it stands now. By the way I can happily say the fuse came out perfectly straight :D
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 03-07-2005 09:32 PM

Hello Satdog,
I am going to go with a servo in each wing, I will be using just one on the elevator myself. The idea of using 2 servo's in the tail will work just fine, alot of the large scale aerobatic planes use that setup. I am not sure how I will set my aileron servo's just yet, I should have the wing finished up this weekend and I will post pics of how I decide to set it up.
Later!!
Anthony

satdog 03-07-2005 10:05 PM

i'll post some picks of my setup. my cub will be powered by a surpass 120. i mounted it horizontally. looks cool and saved scaling up the cowl on one side. i'm not after a scale ship.

WacoNut 03-09-2005 11:10 PM

The rudder and fin are completed, the right wing panel is framed and the bottom sheeting is installed. I will sheet the top tomorrow and install the leading edge and light ply mounting plates for the struts. There is alot of work in these wing panels. I will post some pics tomorrow.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 03-11-2005 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am working on the left wing panel. The bottom sheeting is installed along with the T/E and aileron sheeting. I will let everything dry until morning and install the wingtip and then construct the center section. I did not take any pics of the right wing during construction but I did take a few of the left. I am off work until Wed. and I hope to have the plane completely framed and sanded before I go back to work. I will post some more pics tomorrow.
Anthony

WacoNut 03-11-2005 10:49 PM

Oooohhh I almost forgot, I ordered the Robart gear today and should have them some time next week.

Radio One 03-12-2005 12:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my SIG CW Cub fashioned after Hazel Sigs full scale. OS 160 twin in the nose. A great flying model. Good luck with yours

LuvBipes 03-12-2005 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Anthony, great work and amazing speed. I wish I could build as fast. Took me the better part of 2 years to finish my Cub (see pic).
If I had to do it again, I would build a 2 piece wing. Lemme tell you, lugging around that one piece 86" surfboard is a royal PITA.
It is definitly worth the effort, though. Even after 4 years and about 150 flights the damned thing still puts a smile on my face every time I fly it!

ckangaroo70 03-12-2005 11:43 AM

Those cubs sure look nice Radio One, and LuvBipes!

WacoNut 03-12-2005 02:15 PM

Great Looking Cubs Guys!!!
It may appear that I am getting it done fast but I am working alot of hours on it, I am approaching in the neighborhood of 60 hrs into the build. ;)
I have both wing panels ready to join to the center section and I am just starting to assemble the center. I am going to leave the top sheeting off of the center section until I get the aileron servo's mounted and run the leads.
Will standard servo's work Ok for the ailerons if I use 1 servo per aileron?? I plan on installing a high torque servo for the elevator. I will mount the throttle servo behind the rear seat and run the cable under the false floor. I will be using pull/pull cables for the rudder. Any tips here would be appreciated.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 03-12-2005 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have both wing panels epoxied to the center section. I will give the epoxy a while to cure then I will add the center section spars and sheet the Top L/E and add the L/E Cap. I will then be ready for endless hours of sanding:eek:.
Here are a couple pics of the wing ans it stands now.
Later!!
Anthony

LuvBipes 03-12-2005 07:37 PM

I used 2 standard ballbearing servos for the ailerons and had no problems. One thing I did do which facilitates transport a lot is make the struts foldable by using 1/8" music wire for the jury struts instead of the suggested brass tubing method.

WacoNut 03-13-2005 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It is midnight and I am calling it a day, I have been working on the Cub since 8:00am. I still have a little work to do on the wing in the morning. I need to sand the L/E sheeting flush and install the L/E. I did leave a section of sheeting off of the center section to allow me to run the servo leads.
The wing was alot of work but it came out nice and straight, here are a couple of pics where I left off.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 03-13-2005 10:39 PM

I sanded the wing L/E sheeting flush and attahced the L/E this morning then took a break from construction. After looking at the stock cowl I decided to give it a try before ordering a glass cowl. I joined the two halves with C/A then glassed the joint on the inside with epoxy. I went bach to work on the dummy engine cylinders, gave them a coat of paint and constructed the exhaust. I used 1/8 dowell rods to make the spark plugs, I chucked them up in my drill press and shaped them with a small file. I cut the valve covers off of the stock dummy engine and sanded them to fit the new cyliders. I will give them a coat of aluminum paint and epoxy to the cyliders.
I will get back to work on the wing in the morning, sand the L/E to shape then block sand the whole wing smooth. I will then seperate the aileron's from the wing and add the L/E and T/E pieces.
Later!!
Anthony
ps. I will update with some pics tomorrow!!!

WacoNut 03-14-2005 12:44 PM

Sanding!!! Sanding, sanding,sanding,sanding,sanding and more sanding!!!!
Did I mention I hate sanding;)
Some nice pics coming later today!!
Anthony

WacoNut 03-14-2005 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After what seemed like endless hours of sanding I have the complete airframe block sanded with 220 paper and the edges of all the flying surfaces rounded. I trial fit everything and it is looking good. Now on to the ailerons(need to cut them out of the wing) and hingeing and installing the controls. After that is completed I will start on the cockpit.
Here are a few pics of where I am at now, not bad for 11 days of work;)
Later!!
Anthony

tubig 03-14-2005 09:49 PM

anthony, looking great buddy! you're a quick builder. i truly envy the speed and quality of your modeling. looks like you'll be flying yours even before i finish putting the paint on mine.