RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/2708451-sig-1-4scale-c-w-cub-build.html)

WacoNut 03-14-2005 11:46 PM

RE: Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build

ORIGINAL: tubig

anthony, looking great buddy! you're a quick builder. i truly envy the speed and quality of your modeling. looks like you'll be flying yours even before i finish putting the paint on mine.
Thanks Bud:D
I have been after this thing like a bulldog, it is getting ready to slow down. I sheeted the cockpit interior tonight and cut a false floor which will be removable to allow access to run the throttle cable under the floor to keep it hidden. Tomorrow I am going to work on the aileron's and all of the hingeing. I am going to use Robart hinges instead of the supplied pin hinges. I have some scrap hardwood that I will use to make a drill jig for the hinges.
I am going to scrap out the supplied spruce sticks for the Wing Struts and order some K&B streamlined aluminum tubing and make some folding struts for easier transportation.
Will post some more pics tomorrow.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 03-15-2005 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am having some fun now:D
I sheeted the interior walls with 1/16 balsa and a 1/16 lite ply floor. The floor is removable for access. I constructed a luggage compartment which also acts as a rear seat support. It will house the batteries.receiver,on/off switch and charging jack. The compartment will be held in by 2 #2 screws to allow access to the batteries and servo's. Here are a few pics of the interior so far.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 03-15-2005 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Having a little fun with the interior.
I built a back seat frame and attached it to the luggage compartment(will store the battery under the back seat). I made a front seat top and bottom half (temporarily tacked together) I made throttle controls for front and rear, I used my full scale Cub plans for making these. I made a trim crank handle and recessed panels for the fuel cutoff and the carb heat. I have everything temporarily tacked into place, see attached pics.
Later!!
Anthony

Bill Rademacher 03-16-2005 08:09 PM

Hi, great pics of your cub build.

I just acquired a 1/4 scale Sig cub. I had to put a Quadra 35 on the nose, by recessing the firewall a bit.

Anyway, could you tell me where it is supposed to balance, according to the plans?
Also, surface throws would be helpful. I suspect I'll have to mix ridder with aileron, and possibly use aileron differential.

I think I may have to move the radio equipment around. It did have an OS 120 pumper on the nose.

thanks!

Bill

WacoNut 03-16-2005 09:28 PM

Hi Bill,
The plans show 4-5/16" back from the L/E. A Cub is a Cub, all the cubs I have owned I set the balance at 28% of the chord for the initial flights and gradually moved back to around 32% to make the plane more responsive and aerobatic. I will do the same with this Cub, being the Clipped Wing I want to be able to do some aerobatics with it.
Good Luck with your Cub!!
Anthony

WacoNut 03-16-2005 09:36 PM

Very little building progress to report,
Lastnight I cut the aileron's out of the wing and glued in the T/E fill in piece on the wing and the L/E of the aileron's. To me this was the most difficult part of the build and required alot of measuring, measuring,measuring and then puckering when cutting that nice straight smooth wing into pieces. I now have the aileron's sanded to shape along with the wing and all is well again.
Tomorrow I am going to get back to work on the cowling and the dummy engine cylinders. I am going to start out by mounting the cylinders on a strip of ply and cutting an opening in the cowl just big enough for the cylinders to fit thru, I will then work on fabricating the eyebrows out of .010 aluminum sheeting and gradually open up the cowling hole to accept the eyebrows. All this scale detail will take me longer than the construction of the plane.
Later!!
Anthony

Bill Rademacher 03-16-2005 10:15 PM

Thanks Anthony. She is right on the money!

I'll have to get her up when we get good weather again in Ky.

She is painted all silver, and has airforce markings. I have only found one BW photo of a cub dressed that way.
I might have to spring for some paint!

Thanks again

Bill

guy606 03-17-2005 06:49 PM

hey! i am grtting ready to cut my ailerons in a minute ihate to but.... put a lot of time in that wing and it is a beauty i am building the same kit but i am not going to make a door yet well i dont know i looked at your method and it is intriging`

satdog 03-18-2005 09:39 AM

thats a beautiful interior. you are putting a ton of effort into it and it shows. check out the doll house supplies for a real looking upholstery.

guy606 03-18-2005 11:18 AM

do you have any latest pics of your cub?

WacoNut 03-18-2005 12:00 PM

No a whole lot of progress on the cub in the last couple of days, I will post some recent pics tonight. If there is anything in particular that anoyone wants to see just let me know.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 03-18-2005 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guy606,
Here are a couple pics of my aileroon after cutting out and adding the L/E and sanding to shape.
I am happy with the way they turned out.
Later!!
Anthony

ckangaroo70 03-18-2005 09:11 PM

Keep at it Anthony! You are just about to the point on your Cub where I stopped on mine about 6 months ago. I just can't get fired up to get started on mine again. I did manage to get my Father in Law to weld/Braze the Landing gear all together for me the other day! I have a ton of sanding to do on mine, and that is what brought me to a halt on it! I really dred sanding!LOL. Your doing a fine job on yours, and I look forward to seeing it completed!

WacoNut 03-18-2005 10:21 PM

Thanks Ray:D
I am having a blast building this thing, after getting through what I thought was the tough part(the aileron's) I went and made a big mistake. I made a drill guide for Robart hinge points and it didn't work as planned. I completely messed up the elevator,stab,rudder and fin. I was so disgusted lastnight I could hardly sleep!!! After mulling over it all day how to fix the problem I came home and cut 3/8" off of each surface on my table saw where I drilled for the hinges and glued on a 3/8"sq. balsa stock to replace it and sanded it all back into shape tonight. The repair looks good and you wouldn't know it was done. At this point I do not know if I will try the Robart hinges again or go with the stock pin hinges.
I have a set of Robart 1/4 scale Cub gear on order and I was expecting them to show up by today and they didn't come, hopefully on monday. I have made a commitment to myself that I will work on something on this plane everyday until it is finished.
I have to work Sat & Sun but I will be putting in at least 6 hours each day on the Cub. I will be ordering my engine it 2 weeks, I will be installing a Magnum 1.2 4-stroke. with all the extra weight from all the scale detail I don't think a .90 will be enough power.
Later!!
Anthony
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 03-19-2005 01:48 PM

Just got home from the Hobby shop and picked up high torque servo's, Koverall, dope,hand drills, servo lead extensions, Robart hinge drill guide and more glue. I am going to tackle the hinges again today and hopefull everything goes better. Will post some pics tonight.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 03-19-2005 09:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hinged all the control surfaces tonight and this time evryting worked out OK, it is amazing how well things work when you have the right tools:eek:.
I will install the aileron servo's tomorrow and make an access hatch then finish the wing sheeting and give it a final sanding. I will also try to finish the wing to fuse alignment and get all the necessary holes drilled and tapped. I am debating on going ahead and covering the Satb and elevator and mounting them to the fuse.
Here are a couple of pics of the Robart hinges installed in the aileron and elevator.
Later!!
Anthony

khodges 03-19-2005 10:22 PM

WWII-- I've been looking at your build pix and I've got to say you must be one anal retentive ****:):):) The detail and clean work is very impressive. Too bad you're going to cover all that nice woodwork :eek: As tight as all the joints and seams look, you ought to varnish the dang thing and display it in the bones, or use some kind of clear cover so you can fly it and still admire the structure. You've seen that plastic model of a V-8 engine that all the parts turn and you can watch it work? Well, you could do the Visible Cub.

No S**t-- you could build my planes anytime, except it would take the fun out of it for me.

WacoNut 03-19-2005 10:53 PM

Thanks Kodges :D
I do like the looks of all that framework but I am sure I will like the looks of the Koverall, Rib Stitching and finish paint job just as well;)
It is getting ready to slow down a little, I will have to order the stremlined tubing for my struts, the local hooby shops do not carry it. It will be at least 2 weeks before I get my engine as well.
I should have my scale gear on Monday and I can get some legs under it. I will get back to working on some scale detail if I run out of building.
Later!!
Anthony

tubig 03-20-2005 01:07 AM

real nice job with the hinge point repair. what did you different this time that made it work?

WacoNut 03-20-2005 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: tubig

real nice job with the hinge point repair. what did you different this time that made it work?
I bought a Robart Hinge Drill Guide and a set of Hobbico Easy Drills, the drill bits have a knurled handle for drilling by hand. I just took my time and everything came out nice.
later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 03-21-2005 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finished the aileron servo installation lastnight, I did not like how they showed running the linkage in the manual and I didn't want my servo's exposed under the wing so I came up with a compromise. I installed the servo's in a horizontal position between the ribs and built a box to mount them in, this leaves the end of the servo arm just above the wing surface making a more direct route to the Aileron control arm. The push rod should just clear the wing strut and if not some minor bending will solve the problem. I have installed a push rod with a clevis at each end temporarily just to prove out the setup, I will switch them out for a 4-40 rod with Ball Links at each end. The aileron's move freely and have plenty of movement with this setup.
I have built a frame between the ribs around the servo box which will allow me to put a removable hatch for easy access to the servo. I will be vaccum forming a fairing to cover the servo arm and ball link.
Later!!
Anthony

khodges 03-21-2005 08:13 PM

It's funny, Andrew, how there are differences between the Cub models, in the way things are designed.. The way you did your wing servos is the way Sig does them on the 1/5 scale I have. It's a really clean installation to have just the servo arm sticking out. The only difference with mine is that the servo is mounted to the "trap door", so when you remove the access panel the servo comes out with it. I like it because it's easy to remove the servo if necessary, and it is a very secure mount. I like how you bent the servo arm, I need to do that to mine, because at full deflection, it hits (barely). It's just not been enough of a problem for me to make me change it. My servos are outboard of my strut mounts, so clearance isn't a problem there.

It's lookin' good!

tubig 03-21-2005 08:36 PM

nice clean install on your servo pocket. looks great!

WacoNut 03-21-2005 09:32 PM

Thanks Guys,
This thread helps keep me going on the project, this is the 1st plane that I have built that I have installed servo's in the wing(other than the Stuka I have framed) and I like the way the install came out.
I did get my Robart gear today and I just assembled and mounted them on the Cub, She's Got Legs:D They are not the same dimensions as the stock wire gear and required me to beef up an area with ply to bolt the rear mount. The gear appear to be very robust and not too heavy. I am a little dissapointed in the fit of some of the holes, I had to open some of them up to get the Clevis pins thru, the metal is so hard that I burnt up a drill bit on the 1st hole and had to go with an abrasive stone in my Dremel tool to slightly open up the holes. All and all I am happy with the gear and they look good on the Cub, I will post some more pics tomorrow.
Later!!
Anthony

ckangaroo70 03-22-2005 05:04 PM

I am rooting for you! Keep at her! Its looking good!