RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/2708451-sig-1-4scale-c-w-cub-build.html)

VincentJ 06-26-2012 03:22 PM

RE: Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build

No, I wasn't planning on it.

acerc 06-26-2012 03:39 PM

Was just curious. That's cool.</p>

WacoNut 06-26-2012 03:44 PM

All that masking is fun isn't it:D
It's going to look really good when finsihed.

VincentJ 06-26-2012 03:57 PM

Yes it is. Well I just got back from my shop where I painted the wing and 4 hours later and I am happy to report that it is done and it came out pretty well. I still have to paint the red on the ailerons and the servo covers though....I forgot to bring my camera with so I'll have to post pic tomorrow. About now a solid yellow cub looks pretty good. I would have been done!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...unge_smile.gif

WacoNut 06-26-2012 04:15 PM

I am going to recover my Cub at some point in time. I do not like the Solartex. It keeps getting wrinkles. Anyhow I will have to do something different. I may even check into clipping the wings while the covering is off.
Later!!
Anthony

VincentJ 06-27-2012 05:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK here are some pictures I took this AM. Will post them in two batches......

VincentJ 06-27-2012 05:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Second group.

Cub Flyer Fresno 06-27-2012 06:44 AM

Those are some nice clean &amp; sharp lines, VJ.   Looks excellent!  Won't be long now.

VincentJ 06-27-2012 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
<span style="font-size: larger">Thanks David. I'm very excited as the FedEx truck just arrived and delivered my next build. For a 40 year old kit it is in great shape. I won't start it until my Cub is complete though. Speaking of the Cub I assembled the landing gear and installed it tonight. The yellow hub caps need to be painted yellow dosen't cut it.</span>

acerc 06-27-2012 01:51 PM

That look's great! Nice work VJ.
And I completely agree, the yellow hub cap's are way out of character.

WacoNut 06-27-2012 05:03 PM

The Cub is looking great,
A tip for you on the landing gear. Keep some extra o-rings on hand and replace then as soon as they show signs of wear/cracking. You can get them alot cheaper from a hardware store. Just take one with you and match them up. I used to keep a dozen or so in my flight box.
Later!!
Anthony

acerc 06-27-2012 05:27 PM

Or one could use something like this.  http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/p...ock_cord-w.jpg

Cub Flyer Fresno 06-27-2012 08:09 PM

This may be a bit premature, but when I do finally finish my Cub, say in a year or so, what would be a good second scale build for me to attempt?  I know everyone is going to have there opinions, but have at it!  I might have to take money into consideration though, this becomes a bit more expensive than one realizes!  I might want to go smaller as well to keep peace with the Mrs.  I love BIG though, no doubt about that!

So, any ideas?

Take care,
David

VincentJ 06-28-2012 01:46 AM

<span style="font-size: larger">Thanks for the heads up Anthony, I'll get some. Interesting replacement for the o-rings Robert, do you just tie a knot to makethe ringor what? Do they last longer than the o-rings?</span>

do335a 06-28-2012 05:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Cub Flyer Fresno

This may be a bit premature, but when I do finally finish my Cub, say in a year or so, what would be a good second scale build for me to attempt? I know everyone is going to have there opinions, but have at it! I might have to take money into consideration though, this becomes a bit more expensive than one realizes! I might want to go smaller as well to keep peace with the Mrs. I love BIG though, no doubt about that!

So, any ideas?

Take care,
David
Here's an idea, based on countless years as a builder/accumulator of anything and everything related to model aircraft and RC and observing many, many ohters with the same situation as you.

Start stashing funds never to be touched until you make your purchase whenever it is. Finish the current project first and be prepared financially for the next one.

Don't worry about getting anything in particular now. It's amazing how one's interestes and situation can change within a year or even less, which makes an early purchase in preparation obsolete and expensive in a big hurry.

That's one of the big reasons that you find all sorts of deals coming up on NIB kits, planes, engines and accessories in the classifieds, on ebay and so on. It's very easy to lose big time $$ that way. You, on the other hand, not being in a hurry, cash in to your benefit. If you've just got to have it now, some year ot two in advance, it had better be a bargain, better than the most fantastic deal ever.

In the meantime, dream all you want about what that project will be. When you are finally ready to begin, it will all fall into place.

VincentJ 06-28-2012 05:19 AM

do335a, well said-sounds like very sound advice...

Cub Flyer Fresno 06-28-2012 05:30 AM

Thanks do335a!  Yes, very good advice, makes good sense.  Like I said, it's premature to ask, but I like to dream.  I just wanted to find out a good next model might be.  As long as it takes me to build it also takes me a long time to make a decision.

Thanks for the excelent advice!
David

VincentJ 06-28-2012 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some before and after shots of todays work..

VincentJ 06-29-2012 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
<span style="font-size: larger">Today I painted the last of the starburst pattern on the stab. Soon as the paint cures assembly of the Cub will begin http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif!</span>

VincentJ 06-29-2012 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm glad to have the painting behind me. Now comes the fun stuff... assembling! I fished out the servo extension leads that I tucked in the wing quite a while ago. So as not to have the wires rub with engine vibration I used rubber grommets toprotect against wear.

acerc 06-29-2012 05:49 PM

VJ,
On the shock cord I use cable swages.

Cub Flyer Fresno 06-29-2012 05:51 PM

Good idea Robert!  You are full of them!  Where do you get the cable swages?

acerc 06-29-2012 06:00 PM

Home depot.

Cub Flyer Fresno 06-29-2012 06:05 PM

Ah, that brings back memories.  Got the swaging tool from when I built an ultralight about 30 years ago.  Wow, has it been that long?????  [X(][:o]

Thanks again Robert!

P.S.  Anyone want to buy an ultralight?  Still in good condition.  :D

VincentJ 06-30-2012 01:31 AM

Thanks forthe info Robert, I'll check the stores.