RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/2708451-sig-1-4scale-c-w-cub-build.html)

SunDevilPilot 07-10-2012 05:40 PM

RE: Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build

Impressive struts Cub Flyer Fresno!<div></div><div>SunDevilPilot</div>

Cub Flyer Fresno 07-10-2012 05:46 PM

Thanks SDP!  I really can't wait till I've got the jury struts finished.  I having fun with those too and they're coming out well also, if I do say so myself.  I just might have to take some photos before they're through.  NO, I MUST NOT!  [X(]

VincentJ 07-14-2012 06:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would take the Cub outside for a few shots. I still have the windshield and windows to install. Fuel lines are all plummed, servo linkages made and operable. Few odds and end to do then I will balance out the plane. At this point I have not yet installed the dummy engines on the cowl. This will be done at a later date. I'm thinking of repainting the cowl red. What do you think? Numbers still have to go on the fuse sides.

acerc 07-14-2012 06:15 AM

Mighty fine VJ.

VincentJ 07-14-2012 09:54 AM

Thanks Robert ! What did your plane weigh inat Robert?I need to weigh mine when finished....

SunDevilPilot 07-14-2012 10:26 AM

Just take your time with the windshield, that was my nemesis. <div>
</div><div>With a little care, patients, and planning you'll get it done. </div><div>
</div><div>SunDevilPilot</div>

VincentJ 07-14-2012 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks SDP, been working on that very same thing that gave you a problem (the windshield) and I can see why it did!

Here are some photos of the engine. You can see I got creative with TV coaxial cable holders for the ignition wires in photo #1. In photo #2 I wanted to show how I ran my vent line through some brass tubing that I epoxied to the bottom of the firewall. I can just slipthe vent linein and when I need to remove the line there are no connections to fiddle with. In photo #3 you can see the manual choke linkage (seems to work well) as well as the throttle servo and future choke servoopening should I want to install one in the future. The entire tank mounting plate is removable with the two forward screws that are visable.

VincentJ 07-14-2012 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Firstphoto is of the fuel dot that I am using and the last photo shows the elevator pushrod tube bracing installed that SDP was keen to spot missingearlier.

SunDevilPilot 07-14-2012 12:05 PM

The windshield material from balsa USA was much easier to work with. It is about 1/3 thinner. After messing up the first one I ordered the stuff from Balsa USA. <div>
</div><div>SunDevilPilot</div>

acerc 07-14-2012 12:13 PM

VJ,
Mine came out to 16lbs.

Cub Flyer Fresno 07-14-2012 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, not as soon as I thought, but I'm pretty much done with the jury struts. Just a little clean up work to do. I'll use the correct size fasteners later. The weather has been really hot here lately and all I have to cool my garage is a little swamp cooler (evaporative cooler). Here are a few photos:

acerc 07-14-2012 04:27 PM

Very nice David.Wish I could do as good.

WacoNut 07-14-2012 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great looking Cubs guys,
I spent the day working on a 1981 Suzuki JR50 for my grandson. New carb, back tire and grips. I also must mention that Poppy had to take it for a spin just to make sure it was safe for the little guy:D The grandson was one happy boy to get the bike. It was worth every bit of effort to get this bike going just to see the look on his face while he was riding.
Later!!
Anthony

VincentJ 07-15-2012 01:15 AM

Great photos of you and your grandson on the bike! I wish I hada bike like thatwhen I was his age. Looksliketheboth of you were haveing a blast.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/49_49.gif

Nice work on those jury struts David. Looks like your'e getting close to covering.....

RH 07-15-2012 05:33 AM

I'm a bit late in this reply to your question on balance, but here's an idea. Over the winter our club built a 16 foot wingspan Giant Quaker essentially from scratch. The plans we had were blown up from some version of the originals from decades ago so there wasn't much info on wing position or CG. To solve that question we experimented with several of the CG calculators available at various internet sites. We ended up using this one...

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_super_calc.htm

It is quite detailed in the measurements needed and it does require weighing the the plane at its contact points (main gear and tail wheel), but the end result was worth it. On the maiden flight the Quaker simply "flew" off the ground and required no elevator trimming whatsoever. The wing placement and CG were right on the money.

I say all this to suggest that you could go through the process with your original measurements and then repeat the calculation with the dimensions for the other wing type. Then, by comparing the ideal and actual CG and NP results you could estimate what difference, if any, there would be in the CG and NP.

Rick...

acerc 07-15-2012 07:54 AM

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but they both look scared to death.

VincentJ 07-19-2012 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well nobody gave me their opinions on painting the cowl red so I painted a portion of it. Thought the front of the Cub was too white.

acerc 07-19-2012 01:16 PM

I like it.

Cub Flyer Fresno 07-19-2012 01:23 PM

Me too!  Looks great!  How about some black pen striping?  Think that might set it off even more?  Just don't overdo it.

Take care,
David

chip_MG 07-19-2012 01:32 PM

Very Cool,

Is that klasscoat or something to that effect?

VincentJ 07-19-2012 02:50 PM

Thanks guys I like it too.... David I was thinking the same thing, I am going to go down to the auto parts store and see what they have.

Chip_MG it is Klass Coat epoxy paint. It is real nice paint to spray, I'll use it again....
</p>

WacoNut 07-19-2012 05:53 PM

Looks good VJ,
I use 3M Auto pinstripe tape, maybe a 1/16" black stripe to trim out all your red.

I think you have the correct amount of red on the nose. Once you get the dummy cylinders installed it will really set it off.
Later!!
Anthony

VincentJ 07-21-2012 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
<span style="font-size: larger">OK, I was warned about how much fun the windshield was going to be..... well all I can say is that it has been the least favorite thing thatI have done on this plane http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ngry_smile.gif, and that's being polite!!!! I did use the Sig plastic, and I did do it on the first try. It would be much, much easier with thinner plastic. You can also see that I have pin striped the red and white. That's it for me today I'm going to call it quits.</span>

Cub Flyer Fresno 07-21-2012 01:29 PM

Looks great with that pin striping!  Why did you have to mention about the wind shield!  Now I'm REALLY not looking forward to it.  Fortunately I've got a long way to go.  :D

Take care,
David

SunDevilPilot 07-21-2012 01:30 PM

<div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469); ">Windshield was my least favorite (AKA stressful) part of the build too. Looks like you did a good job with it. Won't be long now. <div>
</div><div>SunDevilPilot</div></div>