RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/2708451-sig-1-4scale-c-w-cub-build.html)

Cub Flyer Fresno 11-04-2012 05:44 PM

RE: Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build

1 Attachment(s)
I've been doing a little more detail work inside the cabin. Working on the control sticks and learning how to solder brass. In the photos you can tell which end I practiced on. Got it down now though.

So who can see what's wrong with these pictures? It's not the angle of the control stick mounts, that's just the camera. Anybody?

acerc 11-04-2012 06:16 PM

I'm not sayin a word other than order of assembly does matter. LOL

Grubba 11-04-2012 09:06 PM

Nice work, are you going to have the sticks moving in conjunction with the control surfaces ?

Grubba 11-04-2012 09:08 PM

Nice work, are you going to have the sticks moving in conjunction with the control surfaces ?

Cub Flyer Fresno 11-05-2012 06:41 AM

First of all, Ace, can you say "DOOOOHHHHHH!!!!"  [:@]  I got everything cleaned up and thought it was time to take a picture.  I set it up and looked at it...................  then came the "DARN IT!"  Scared the dogs right out of the garage!  [X(]  Now to take the mounts apart and resolder them...  Darn it!  [:o]

Grubba,  I am considering it.  I might have time as I wait to save up money for the covering.  The elevator portion should be easy enough.  For the ailerons I'm thinking of mounting a micro servo under the front seat.  We'll see.

Stan7476 11-05-2012 09:02 AM

How in the hell, can the pilot fly facing backwards? LOL. Hey Dave, What is the distance from your floor to the landing gear blocks? Or did you put the floor on top of the landing gear blocks? I am thinking of mounting a boat fuel tank under the floor, but Iam not sure how high the floor should be.

ORIGINAL: Cub Flyer Fresno

First of all, Ace, can you say "DOOOOHHHHHH!!!!" [:@] I got everything cleaned up and thought it was time to take a picture. I set it up and looked at it................... then came the "DARN IT!" Scared the dogs rightout of the garage! [X(] Now to take the mounts apart and resolder them... Darn it! [:o]

Grubba, I am considering it. I might have time as I wait to save up money for the covering. The elevator portion should be easy enough. For the ailerons I'm thinking of mounting a micro servo under the front seat. We'll see.

Cub Flyer Fresno 11-05-2012 10:00 AM

Stan,
I didn't do that exactly to scale, more so that it would just look good. I put a piece of 1/8 ply running across the bottom side of my balsa floor, so it's just high enough to run my servo wires through to the nose. I did measure that on the real thing once but I don't think I have the measurement anymore. Sorry, maybe someone else has that dimension.

I had thought about doing that at one time but decided to go with a 10 oz. tank in the nose. That's actually more scale when you think about it. I suppose one could do both to increase the fuel capacity.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Good luck!
David

P.S. The control stick mounts are on correctly, it's the little control tube mounts that I forgot to install before putting the ends on! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ssed_smile.gif</p>

Neddy191 11-06-2012 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've finally resumed building the cub. I've been busy lately but I'm progressing with the build. I'm not in a hurry to get it built but I have several more projects lined up and I've promised my self that I'd finish one before moving on to the next.

Since I've modified the cabin to include the center wing section I've had to modify the wing from the plans. First, I had to duplicate the W1A ply root rib so I'd have one for both sides. Since I didn't have a big enough piece of 1/16 birch ply to make it from one piece I ended up using 2 pieces. I figured this piece will be doubled with a balsa rib anyway and shouldn't have to be tremendously strong that a joint wouldn't hurt. I'm going with 2 bolts on each wing for redundancy. I cut the balsa rib away where the bolts will go and added a couple layers of birch ply to support the blind nut. I didn't want to sandwich balsa between 2 pieces of ply because I though it might get crushed with repeated installation/removal of the wings. I'm using 1/4-20 wing bolts. I took the blind nuts and dremelled off the barbs so they would fit flush when I installed them into the root ribs.

Pic 1: new W1A ply root rib
Pic 2: balsa cut away and 1st layer of ply for blind nut glued in place
Pic 3: 2nd layer of ply for wing bolt blind nut seats
Pic 4: blind nut with barbs
Pic 5: barbs ground away
Pic 6: Root rib on plane ready to drill the bolt holes
Pic 7: holes drilled and nuts installed

Cub Flyer Fresno 11-06-2012 03:51 PM

That should look really nice that way Neddy.  Wished I would have gone that route but this is my first build and it's been a great learning process.  Next time!

Take care,
David

Neddy191 11-06-2012 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I placed an order from McMaster Carr for a bunch of odds and ends. I got 2 types of 1/4-20 thumb bolts to decide between for this build. The first is sold stainless the second has a plastic thumb screw part and has a hex head that you can use as well to tighten it more than thumb tight. The one with the plastic head weighs significantly less so I think thats the one I'll be using. The stainless ones are nice pieces of hardware though, I'll find a use for them some day.

Also, as part of my order I bought extra o-rings for my Robart landing gear - 100 were $6. I won't have to worry about new ones for a long time.

Pic 1: the 2 types of 1/4-20 thumb bolts
Pic 2: the stainless one in place on the plane
Pic 3: the plastic head one
Pic 4: Both bolts in place
Pic 5: enough o-rings for my gear for along time

Neddy191 11-06-2012 03:55 PM

That should look really nice that way Neddy. Wished I would have gone that route but this is my first build and it's been a great learning process. Next time!

Take care,
David
This is only my 3rd build, the first 2 were easy Sig kits - the LT40 and sig somethin extra. I'm thoroughly enjoying this build and already have 3 more planes I want to build on my list.

heritageman 11-06-2012 04:01 PM

Neddy, good looking work on the wings. I was going with the two piece wing, but thinking on the same line as yours. Just finished the right side and starting on the other. A lot of sanding and shaping today. Got to get batteries for the camera tomorrow and post some pictures.

Neddy191 11-06-2012 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got the wings started today. I had a few issues with some of the spruce spars. One had a big hunk of wood missing out of the side an 2 others had what looked like laser cuts on 1 of the sides, the laser cuts were wavy though. A quick e-mail to Sig last night and they responded that they were sending out replacement today. Kudo's to Sig for great customer service again.

Pic 1: spruce spar with a hunk of wood missing
Pic 2: starting the first wing.

Unlike some of the excellent builders in this thread, my building table/area is usually in "organized chaos" as you may see from my pics.

Neddy191 11-06-2012 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: heritageman

Neddy, good looking work on the wings. I was going with the two piece wing, but thinking on the same line as yours. Just finished the right side and starting on the other. A lot of sanding and shaping today. Got to get batteries for the camera tomorrow and post some pictures.
I'd love to see pics of your build. For me documenting the build and posting pics is very enjoyable as well. Its nice to have good build threads to refer to, for example, I'm using Sun Devil Pilot's fuse/wing mods from his build thread which has been very helpful in my build thus far.

Cub Flyer Fresno 11-06-2012 05:13 PM

heritageman, I had a couple parts that were bad as well and Sig was right on top of it, no questions asked. So I agree, Kudos to SIG!

As for the building table... Hey, welcome to the club! It sure is nice nowing I'm not the only one with that problem. No sooner do I get it cleaned up when,... POOF! It's a feaking mess again! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Keep the photos coming, I love watching the builds!</p>

Cub Flyer Fresno 11-06-2012 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, now they are on the correct side. Now to go watch the election coverage. Come on America! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

VincentJ 11-07-2012 03:49 AM

Nice work David! You won't make that mistake again, that's how we learn!

Cub Flyer Fresno 11-07-2012 07:25 AM

Yep, I'm learning.  (which is more than I can say for this country!  Sorry, I had to say something....)

cannonball200 11-07-2012 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cub Flyer, Your control stick setup is awesome! My son & I owned a full scale J-3 Cub back in 2006. Those look real..

Also, thanks for saying how you feel about America! I know this is not the place to vent, but "God Bless America" right now!

Keep posting pic's of your build! We are watching!

Thanks,
Eddie of OKC, OK

This pic was taken of us flying by our friend in a Cessna skylane 182 that had to do full flaps to get slow enough that we could fly formation!!

Cub Flyer Fresno 11-07-2012 09:12 AM

Thanks Eddie.  It's fun messing around with this stuff until I can afford to cover this bird.

That is cool that you had one and that's an awesome shot!  I have a friend (a new friend, in fact my new best friend) who has restored a Cub.  He said he's going to take me for a ride sometime.  He suggested me flying my 1/4 scale in formation while we are flying....  I declined that.

Anyway, it's kind of hard to get out there when he is around to look over his Cub.  I was hoping to get photos and measurements of the control stick setup but that hasn't happened yet.  You wouldn't happen to have photos of the real thing or at least diagrams would you?

By the way, if it's hard to get a hold or me, I might be down in South America scouting out a new place to live.  ;)

I agree as well!  Please God, Bless America!!!
David

GerKonig 11-07-2012 10:10 AM

Yep, I'm learning. (which is more than I can say for this country! Sorry, I had to say something....)

And there is a majority that does not agree with you. Sorry had to say that! You asked for it

Gerry

cannonball200 11-07-2012 01:24 PM

No majority Gerry! Sorry, but I just had to say that and you asked for it! There is just an equally divided United States and that probably won't change anytime soon. But you couldn't be too bad if you are looking at J-3 Cubs, we are all good guys!

Eddie of OKC

cannonball200 11-07-2012 01:28 PM

David, I have some photo's but no diagrams. I will see if I can the photos.

cannonball200 11-07-2012 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some pic's but not of the sticks. Have not found them. The river is the Mississippi when we were flying from Ohio to Saint Louis to Oklahoma City when we bought it. You need to take that ride with your friend soon. It is awesome flying. You can google N42110 cub and can see where Tx-aero completely rebuilt this airplane in 2010 to showroom brand new condition.
The left pic is Loch Haven, Pa., where most of the cubs were built.

acerc 11-07-2012 02:51 PM

There is an upside to the country turning liberal. People will stop coming here cause it won't be no better than where they are.