Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Heli Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 12:42 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heli Newbie

I just won an Ebay auction for an LMH 110.

I have stupid questions......

I have been flying fixed wing for 3+ years and I wanted to get into heli's for various reasons. (i.e boredom, new challenge, different ways to spend money, my 6 year-old thinks they're cool.....)

I have Real Flight G2 and have spent hours flying helis from .049 to .30 sport and others. I can hover almost anything for 3+ minutes on the simulator and auto-gyro a sport heli from altitude.... Way too cool[8D]. Helis have always had a certain draw for me. The LMH 110 looks like a good entry point for me into a new realm.....

I know that I'll want to change motors to VMax7 later as long as I get a non-floating wrist pin for the con-rod. (yes, I've read the posts here.....Dartdrk and Spiro)

Should I buy a Piezo Gyro right away or is the Altron mechanical sufficient? If I go piezo, the Futaba 240 looks like the big dog, but what else works?

I want to know what challenges, differences and experiences y'all have had progressing from fixed wing to helis....

Thanks for your insights,

Steve Dunster
Old 09-15-2004, 12:59 AM

Default RE: Heli Newbie

Heli's are cool. Opens a whole new range of possiblities. With the LMH you can pretty much fly wherever you want.

If you can fly those damn helicopters on G2 you can fly the LMH. Attach the pingpong ball on a stick gear setup for the first few times until you get used to the throttle lag.

The arlton gyro works just fine and IMO helps you become a better pilot faster.

I can't really explain the diffrences between flying the LMH and flying a fixed wing airplane. You won't think your flying a fixed wing aircraft, so you won't try flying it like one. It's hard to describe, but you'll understand as soon as you take off the first time. It's a whole diffrent animal.

Good luck!
Rico
Old 09-15-2004, 01:05 AM
My Feedback: (2)

KL rico,

Thanks for the quick response......

I have seen your previous posts and knew you'd come out in favor of the mechanical gyro......

I am looking forward to getting into helis and from posts like you have had in the past, I am sure it will be and adventure...

Steve

p.s. Please read sucking up, sucking up, sucking up......
Old 09-15-2004, 06:22 AM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: KLRico

You won't think your flying a fixed wing aircraft, so you won't try flying it like one.
I actually ran into a problem going from fixed-wing to rotor as I'm sure anyone doing the same will do. Flying fixed-wing for over 6 years. When one gets into trouble, pilots instinctively cut power and pull out. Which is the correct control input if you're low and fast. However if you're low and fast with a helicopter. Dropping collective isnt a good instinctive response as I learned a couple weeks ago ESPECIALLY with an LMH. And I imagine its going to be quite a problem to overcome.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:02 AM

Like Dreddi said, plus: Watch out for the instinctive "pull-back on the elevator just as you touch down!" It's something we all do with fixed wings to get that smooth landing, but if you do it with your heli it's goodbye boom (want to guess how I know?)

Tony
Old 09-15-2004, 08:46 AM

I'd have to say that if you know your going to crash, you DO want to cut power just before impact. It will go a long way to save your whole drivetrain, tail boom, rotor, etc. from more severe damage.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:35 PM

pull back and throttle down. yup that was me. it was hard to actually learn to power out. I've learned inspite of my bad habits though..