Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

setup for 120

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

setup for 120

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 11:49 PM
hobbyenthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setup for 120

Im new to the hobby and just bought a corona 120 kit. my very generous friend gave me a hacker c40 12t and a futaba gy401. still dont know why? I was wondering what batteries and esc are needed? What receiver and servos should i go with? Im trying to keep it inexpensive but i am willing to spend more if it is a better choice. if i left anything out needed just add it on.
thanks for all of the help!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2006, 03:27 AM
TIA

Default RE: setup for 120

Hi hobbyenthusiast!

I went with a programmable Castle Creations Phoenix 35 esc and 8 GP3300 sub-C cells on mine. (2 rows of four, side by side)
Don't know what radio you have but I use Futaba so I went with a Hitec Electron 6 rx. and Hitec hs-85MG's for servos.

It has been a successful setup for me so far.

Good Luck with your new helicopter!
Old 02-26-2006, 03:28 AM
beaner

Hi Hobbyenthusiast,

The Lite Machines Corona is a durable, stable flying model. In fact I liked it so much that I purchased another and now have two. I have been flying the Corona for over 2 years and hundreds of flights and I still enjoy it.

my very generous friend gave me a hacker c40 12t and a futaba gy401.
I do not have any experience with the C40-12 motor, I am using an Astro 20. However, I have a Hacker motor in my Logo 10 3D and I love it. I do know that the C40-12 is the motor Hacker recommends for the Corona. The GY401 is an outstanding gyro especially when used with the 9254 servo.

I was wondering what batteries and esc are needed?
I use an 8 cell NIMH 3300Mah pack with Deans connectors. The 8 cell pack provides better performance for the Corona and I get about 8 minutes of flight time. I use a Castle Creations Phoenix-45 speed control, although the Phoenix-35 will work. I’m just more comfortable with a speed control that can dissipate more heat and take a higher surge current.

What receiver and servos should i go with?
I use HS-85MG servos for elevator and aileron and an Electron 6 receiver. I have found that the ball bearing/metal gear servos operate smoother and repeat better and these are desirable characteristics for cyclic control.

Presented here are my opinions and setup, It is not the only way to go. There are many other setup combinations which will also work well. Perhaps others will post their setups offering you more choices. My models are constantly evolving as I gain more knowledge. Anyway, I hopes this helps.

Beaner
Old 02-26-2006, 03:59 AM
beaner

Hey Reno,

Looks like not only did we post responses at the same time, we also have similar setups.[8D] What motor are you using?

Beaner
Old 02-26-2006, 04:17 AM
TIA

Hey Bean!

Wazzzup?

Yeah that must be the "Official" proven setup for the 120. I have two 120's. I've a stock version and a full blown Carbon Ballistic version and both use Mega 16/15/3's. These are efficient and have plenty of power. I get about 15 minutes of flight time from each. How do you like your Astro? I hear those are great motors! I've seen a lot of different types of motors used in the 120 from Astro/Aveox/AXI to Hyperion/Hacker/Medusa. It's enough to make your head spin.

[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 02-26-2006, 01:21 PM
puble23
My Feedback: (1)

Ok, for a radio just get a standard 4ch radio. A laser 4 will work perfect.
For a reciever go with a berg 4 channel.
You have a couple servo options. I have all hs-81mg's and they work fine. But some people like to use hs-85mg's on the cyclic controls for added torque and hs-81's on the tail. If you want to go digital on your tail get polo-4's.
Get a CC 45amp controller for your hackerc40 12d. Better to play it safe if your gonna be using your bec. I dont know what kind of pininon you should use with the hack c40 but I dont think stock with work.

I wish I had a friend who gave me 300 dollars worth of stuff for free like you do!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:18 AM
beaner

Hey Reno,

I've seen a lot of different types of motors used in the 120
Yeah I Know!….. I look at every crash as an opportunity to upgrade. So you know I’ve had a lot of different combinations in my Corona (hehe). But I like the Astro 20 803HVM (recommended for the Voyager). It’s a 3 turn motor. The one Astro Flight recommends for the Corona is the Astro 20 803HCM, it’s a 4 turn. I have tried it and while it flies OK, I prefer the additional power of the 3 turn motor. How do you like the Carbon crutch? Is it the one available from Ballistic Technologies?

Beaner AKA Bean
Old 02-27-2006, 08:28 PM
hobbyenthusiast

thanks for all of the help.i think i am going to order a pack from cheapbatterypacks.com. im gonna go with the gp3300 but i am unsure about the style, connectors,etc. im not really familiar with electronics so any help will be appreciated.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:33 PM
ufoman

What about the Lipos for the Corona over the NIMH. The large Lipo batteries look nice but you would have to add weight to the Corona to match the 8 cell weight and or change the blade grips to 2 degrees...right? I think 8 cell would handle wind better but if you add the extra weight it should work. Is Ballistic Tech upgrades better for Lipos VS. the Chopper One upgrades? The higher battery position on the BT looks like it would fly better but the Corona wouldn't quite be as durable as the Chopper one stuff right?

www.commonsenserc.com has a 2500mah lipo transmitter battery this is begging to go in my Optic 6 transmitter. The standard 600mah is not going to cut it I'm afraid. Might as well pick up their charger while I'm at it.... Their 2100Mah lipos are a little low on the juice I think for the Corona. 3100mah and up Thunders is the best I've heard.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:10 AM
rmasu

Hi, I have a Corona with the Chopper one nylon crutch, BT belt and the feathering plate from Chopper. Corona's are tough little birds you will love it. If you're not sure about sticking with the hobby go buy a cheap 4 channel radio, it'll work fine with the corona. I'd stick with the NiMh 8 cell Lipos are great but the Corona likes the weight, (so I've heard) not personal experience. I think the Hacker you got needs the 9 tooth pinion. Heli Hobby has the Hacker list on their web site.
Doc
Old 06-17-2006, 06:03 PM
rickeyhensley

I have a Spektrum DX6 radio I hope to use in my new Corona, however since I am new to this, can I use the recommended Hi-Tech servos HS 85mg or 81mg w/this system. I guess what I am asking does these servos operate within the range of this system and will they hook up to the receiver and if they do what ext. cord do I use to bridge the distance between the receiver and the tail servo.