Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Are lmh corona and the 117 good first time helicopters?

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Are lmh corona and the 117 good first time helicopters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 04:00 PM
SlimShady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are lmh corona and the 117 good first time helicopters?

Hey all,

Im new to helis. Only got the realflight deluxe the other day. Practicing hovering etc, quite tricky so far but its good fun. Anyway, what i wanted to ask was are the LMH range of heli's good for beginners?

I mean, why should i choose one over the new raptor 30v2?

Im told, its very easy to grow out of them....and that the new Kyosho concept 30 or the new rappie 30v2 are perfect beginner helicopters and will even teach 3d too???

Well, im new, so hit me with the details....

Thanks a lot,
Andy
Old 01-10-2003, 10:27 PM
extremeflying
My Feedback: (7)

Default lmh

i think lmh is good for basic flights and for fun but if u want to go more advance with just one heli i wouldn't recommend it.i dont have a lmh yet but will be ordering one tonight. the reason is for fun and for practice
Old 01-11-2003, 02:52 AM
satnaam
My Feedback: (5)

Default GO for the RAPTOR 2 or CALIBER 30

I am not putting down LMH heli's. But if you want to just fly around and thats it , buy the LHM.

IF WANT TO FLY AND CONTINUE WITH MUCH MORE, THEN BUY RAPTOR V2 OR CALIBER 30. BOTH ARE GOOD MACHINE'S.

SATNAAM
Old 01-13-2003, 03:03 AM
Joe K
My Feedback: (1)

Default $.02

The Corona is a low stress backyard fun flier.
If that is not what you are looking for. Then look at a Hawk Sport or what ever they are flying at the local field that you can get help with.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:38 AM
fig8

The Corona's are an amazing trainer low cost heli. it is by far the best thing you can buy to get into the hobby.. Nothing like 30-50 foot crashes at full speed costing you 0 - 5.00 in a repair bill.

Example : 2 weeks ago I was out at my AMA field no one around I was in heaven, but the winds started picking up and the tiny ship was tossed if it wasn't for the courage of the fearless pilot the heli would have been lost. (hehe) But seriously I was about 50 feet up just messing around fighting the winds, and I had a radio hit lost all control.. and down she went at mach 5. The only thing that broke on it was the main gear.. 5 minute 7.99 repair job and I was back in the air.

Its best suited for backyard flying as stated.. Another great thing about them is they sell very easy and fast online once you are tired of them and ready to move on.

The best combo I've found so far is to have 2 heli's, one for backyard flying and calm days.. and one CCPM type for big field flying especially if you live in an area where there are alot of winds all the time.

The Corona becomes a pain in very large open fields in windy conditions due to the fixed pitch nature. When its windy it becomes very hard to get it back down to earth controlled.

Get the Corona to get into the hobby and learn the basics of flight and control (this can take many months), then sell it and buy a collective pitch bird, or keep both!

Gregg
Old 01-13-2003, 04:28 PM
SlimShady

Cool thanks a lot for that last post Gregg. It was very informative.

Can you tell me some more about them? How big are they...or should i say how small is it? Does it teach all the concepts of flying which will allow me to progress into a .30 hawk or raptor at a later date?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Andy
Old 01-13-2003, 04:47 PM
fig8

They are not Micro size, but they are small maybe 1/2 the size of a .30. You can fly them easy in light winds like 5mph or so.

And yes they will definitely help you gain the ability to fly bigger machines. Actually the bigger machines will be more stable and could be a bit easier to fly once you get going good with the corona.

The only real difference would be a collective pitch machine it will have negative pitch, which will force the heli down if it's upright and give the ability of 3D flying (inverted and such).

if this would be your first, you definitely will not go wrong, going with the Corona. Its a great first heli.

Gregg
Old 01-13-2003, 05:05 PM
SlimShady

Thanks a lot Gregg. I am almost certain now this will be my first heli, and i will order it as soon as i come back from the states.

Hey which radio should i use with it?

Also, and which gyro and servos should i use?

Thansk a lot,
Andy
Old 01-13-2003, 05:15 PM
fig8

Any 4 channel radio will work, but if you plan on staying in the hobby long term buy the right equipment now for what heli you plan on having next. Like a futaba 9CHF or something that does CCPM.

The futaba gy-240 works great on the Corona's. And you can use that one later also. Best prices can be found at www.helihut.com or direct link to the gyro is https://secure.ioncart.net/helihut/s...categories.asp

Servos Hitec HS 85MG for cyclic and a HS 81 for the tail. 3 servos total.

Gregg
Old 01-13-2003, 06:14 PM
raderrustler

Default Good Beginner 117/corona

I cannot speak for the electric corona but the 117 is an excellent heli. I purchased one used and have successfully flown it 3 feet off the ground and 0 repairs. I have no previous heli experience and found the 117 very easy to understand. I downloaded all the manuals from the LMH site and read thru them to get an understanding of the bird first. Again, I suggest one for beginning.
Randy
Old 01-13-2003, 06:41 PM
SlimShady

Cool thanks for the info gregg.

Hey Randy, can you tell me more about the 117 heli?

Or gregg, if you know, what are the differences btwn 117 and the corona?

Is it as simple as one is electric and the other is not?

How does the gas/petrol version compare to other helis that run on gas/ppetrol??

Thanks a lot,
Andy
Old 01-13-2003, 06:55 PM
fig8

The glow I think is a bit smaller, blades and boom and such.

You just gotta figure out if you want to fly in your yard, and or will that bother the next door neighbor's? Those damn engines can be annoying.

The electric's are very quit, but then you will need chargers, and packs etc. etc
Old 01-14-2003, 02:26 AM
Joe K

Default 110, 117, 120

HI
Keep in mind that with the nitro burners. (110 and 117)
You will need a starter, 12v source for the starter, power for glow plug, Charger for those batteries, a fuel pump, fuel, cleaner & paper towels to clean fuel off your heli, and a flight box to put all this in.
The Corona has no fuel mess and less to carry.
I love my 110 but some times wish it was a Corona 120.
I would convert it to a Corona but I have a lot invested in the list above. So I am going to were out this motor.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:36 AM
SlimShady

Thanks a lot, so basically the corona gives the same performance, and is better and more efficient?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 01-14-2003, 03:06 AM
fig8

I think the performance would be about the same, as far as flight time I get 13-17 minutes of FF off 7 cell 3300 mah batteries thats with tons of power, thats with an expensive brushless motor.

The brushed ones with the same packs can give around 9-10 minutes or so.

Gregg